London Christmas 2013

Jun 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

London Christmas 2013

My husband and I will be traveling to London December 26-30. We arrive at 9:30 a.m. on the 26th at LHR. On the 30th, we will be leaving London for Paris via the EuroStar. We are looking for a reasonably priced hotel for around $600 for four nights. We want to be in a good, central location as we will be doing all the major tourist "stuff". We would also like to be near good restaurants/pubs and a Tube station. We have been looking in the Kensington area and looking in particular at the Premier Inn Kensington. Is this a good location?
Jun 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM

I am personally not a big fan of the Earls Court area and prefer Premier Inn County Hall to be in the thick of things.

Also check out www.londontown.com for hotels
Jun 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM

I do not like the Earl Court location at all. Check London town link as above. they have the Millennium Gloucester or Bailey's for about that price. Numerous good restaurants near or nearby and good bus and tube right across the street. Both give excellent service and the area is convenient to walking to mny shops and V&A museumj.
Jun 21st, 2013, 08:22 AM

In case you are wondering why they both mentioned Earls Court - that's where the 'Kensington ' Premier Inn actually is.

The county hall premier inn is in a MUCH better location. There is a brand new premier inn almost across the street from the county hall property, called the Waterloo Premier inn. The Waterloo location might have better rates since County Hall is very popular.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

I've been looking on London Town... How do you feel about the Copthorne Tara? Is this an ok location? How easy is it to get to from LHR?
Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM

The Copthorne Tara is a nice hotel. The only semi-nearby tube station is High Street Kensington . But there is excellent bus service along Kensington High Streer.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj! One more question... Is it easy to get from LHR to the hotel using the Kensington High Street Tube stop? This is my first time in London, so I'm feeling a little nervous.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM

Not really. It is on the circle and district lines which are not on the line in from LHR. It would require a change to the district line at Earls Court. Then a schlepp from the tube station to the hotel.

Hotels in South Kensington are on the Piccadilly line in from the airport.

But you could book a car service like justairports.com for approx £30 total which would be door-to-door with no schlepping at all (even at the LHR end).

Unless you are on a very tight budget, I'd consider the car service.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM

The OP is arriving on Boxing Day. I know there is no public transit on Christmas. Is most running on Boxing Day or is service limited?
Jun 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM

Tube and bus on bank holiday schedule. Start later, with reduced service, but at least the system is running. Last year there was a threat of a tube strike on Boxing Day, but it was averted at the last minute.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM

Yes, transit is available on Boxing Day...it runs on a Sunday/ holiday schedule.
Jun 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM

>>Last year there was a threat of a tube strike on Boxing Day<<

I wouldn't put anything past Bob Crow (the Michael O'Leary of the trades union world) this year either, but it's impossible to plan around that risk, short of just keepin an eye out for the news nearer the time.

Rngenm, as a general note, I would have said even South Kensington and Gloucester Road are not that "central", as you would like. If you look at the map of bus lines in relation to the main attractions (in the TfL visitor guide at the link below), that might help you choose a neighbourhood:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/15101.aspx
Jun 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

We decided on the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. Thanks for the help!
Jun 24th, 2013, 06:20 AM

That area is perfect for tube connections,shops and pubs,etc.
Jun 24th, 2013, 06:38 AM

That is a much more convenient location -- Circle/District/Piccadilly lines.