Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London-Cardiff-London and Edinburgh-Barrnsley_London....Railpass or individual tickets?

London-Cardiff-London and Edinburgh-Barrnsley_London....Railpass or individual tickets?

Apr 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Have arrived at the following itinerary with the help of you all:

May 5 Reach London in the eve

May 6/7/8 London

May 9/10 Cardiff (by train?)

May 11/12/13 Fly Cardiff to Edinburgh and spend 3 nites

May 14/15/16 Train to Yorkshire and spend 3 nites
May 17 Reach London in the morning…rest and last minute shopping
May 18 Leave from London for home!

Now I need your help for choosing the right rail pass or any other option that you have for the journey between London-Cardiff-London and Edinburgh-Barnsley-London.Am confused if I should buy the Britrail 4 day flexi pass or any other pass?

Have tried railsaver and that is what it suggests.

Was wondering if there is anything else that will cover my travel in the cities as well?

Please advise....
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:20 AM

Sorry Shilpi, can't help with rail passes, but in Cardiff it does depend upon what you want to see. Most things you would want to see in the short time you have there are probably within walking distance in the city center, however there are passes available that may help. Check their site.
http://www.cardiffbus.com/fares/fares.htm

I think that train is a good way to get to Cardiff from Paddington, it takes less that 2 hours usually.
Muck
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Muck!

Any clue about the intercity travels and pass for England/Scotland?
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:02 AM

I don't understand your question. You want these legs:

London-Cardiff
Cardiff-Edinburgh (which you're flying)
Edinburgh-Barnsley
Barnsley-London

So what's all this about London-Cardiff-London?

I'd be amazed if any foreign website could calculate the best deal you'd get on any given day for the journey you're looking at. The only way you're likely to find out whether the prices will be higher or lower than a pass is to do the sums yourself.

Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk, input the times you're planning for the three railway journeys (separately), then play with options to get the best individual prices.

Then compare this with the pass. I'd be astonished if a four day pass would be cheaper than buying separate tickets for three journeys, each only 2-3 hours.
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:09 AM

From your previous version of this question

"BMIBaby from Cardiff to Edinburgh is from £16.94 on the 11 May though that's at 6:45 am. The only other flight of the day at 15:35 costs £13 more though you could get the flight the previous day for under £20 at a reasonable time. you can curently get Edinburgh to Leeds for £13 via York on the 14th. You can then get a connecting service to Barnsley for a few more quid (buy on the day).

I'd book now befoe those fares go, they won't get much cheaper - and will get a lot more expensive. If you use the fastticket option you can pick the train tickets up at Edinburgh station & BMIBaby is an e-ticket"
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Sorry....my mistake....I posted the wrong itinerary.

I am staying in Cardiff only for one nite and then coming back to London on 10 evening (hence the London-Cardiff-London)...need to be in London on 10th as that is the only day am getting to catch up with a friend who is passing thru London (hence cannot change the plan).

Request you to advise if there is any pass which helps with inter-city as well as intra-city travel.

Am currently booked on bmi for London to Edinburgh for May 11and planning to buy single train tickets for the individual journeys.