Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London: Canary Wharf worth visiting? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-canary-wharf-worth-visiting-389464/)

WillTravel Jan 20th, 2004 12:14 AM

London: Canary Wharf worth visiting?

I've ridden by Canary Wharf on several occasions while on the boat cruise to Greenwich. I've been somewhat intrigued, but haven't gone to see it - too much to see elsewhere.

Is it an area worth seeing on its own? How would you compare it to business districts elsewhere in other major cities?

Is there anything else in the general area worth visiting? (Greenwich, of course, but that's a little further than I am thinking anyway.)

Tulips Jan 20th, 2004 01:14 AM

Last time I was there was a few years ago. Just lots of office buildings with some shops and restaurants. Nothing much else to see and do in Canary Wharf.

GeoffHamer Jan 20th, 2004 01:57 AM

There are office blocks with a few bars, cafés and shops, many of which only open when the offices are working. If you go to Greenwich by the Docklands Railway, you can get off at Canary Wharf, have a look around, then continue on another train. You're unlikely to want to spend more than a few minutes there.

flanneruk Jan 20th, 2004 02:50 AM

The one thing that might interest is the tube line to it.

The DLR is just another above-ground metro going through Legoland buildings. The Jubilee Line, though, has an extraordinary War-of-the-Worlds style station at Canary Wharf that you'd not be surprised to find in Paris, or in some Stalinist paradise of the 30's, but that's quite unlike anything else in London.

In fact, all the stations on the Jubilee Line east from Westminster are totally un-English. Well worth getting it, getting off at each station, going as far east as North Greenwich (to giggle at Mr Blair's preposterous folly, the Dome), then getting the bus to Greenwich proper for some real buildings and returning by boat.

Otherwise C Wharf is just another overspill commercial area, like La Defense or Pudong, but with rather duller architecture

flanneruk Jan 20th, 2004 03:00 AM

PS:

There are other things in the area - a decent arena for concerts, an adequate exhibition centre for trade shows, and City Airport, which is terrific for Continentals wanting to visit the City but pretty useless for almost everyone else. And some people are interested in the Thames Barrier (which actually looks wonderful). Otherwise the area around it is extraordinarily nondescript

JimSteel Jan 20th, 2004 03:26 AM

Their is now a very good museum just behind Canary Whafe displaying the history of the area and the people of the docklands and the East End, I think this is worth a visit. Apart from that there is a cinema and underground retail park (mall) and a number of bars and restaurants.
They is also Billingsgate fish market, which if you can get up a 5am is an fascinating experience, really cheap as well.
Flanneruk, the Dome was inherited by Blair from the last Conservative administration.

jsmith Jan 20th, 2004 05:12 AM

There is some intriguing contemporary sculpture incorporated in the Canary Wharf development and a map and photos can be found at the website: canarywharf.com.

It is an interesting way to get to Greenwich. The Jubilee Line takes you to Canary Wharf, change to the Docklands Light Railway to Island Gardens for a great view of Greenwich and then walk to Greenwich thru the tunnel under the Thames.

If you have time and inclination, you can add a visit to the 15c pub (The Gun), the LDDC Visitor Center, Mudchute Park (a riding stable and small farm).

To put yourself in the mood for a visit read "Kissed a Sad Goodbye" by Deborah Crombie. An excellent mystery set in the present day Isle of Dogs and Greenwich.

GeoffHamer Jan 20th, 2004 05:19 AM

The Docklands Railway now goes to Greenwich so there is no need to alight at Island Gardens, unless you want to admire the view. The Docklands Railway stops at Cutty Sark, for the museum and old part of Greenwich, and at Greenwich station.

jsmith Jan 20th, 2004 05:39 AM

The whole idea of getting off at Island Gardens is to admire the view, the best you get of Greenwich and the Royal Naval College, and to walk under the Thames.

Does anyone remember which movies have pictured the tunnel?

martytravels Jan 20th, 2004 06:54 AM

The Canary Wharf underground station is worth a visit for architecture buffs, but I didn't really find the area (nor Greenwich) all that interesting.

PatrickLondon Jan 21st, 2004 05:00 AM

I live nearby. For people used to North American cities it may not be all that special - just another collection of office blocks in steel, glass, marble and granite with a shopping centre underneath - though it's different for London.

Some of the old dock buildings have been converted, and the Museum in Docklands is fascinating to me: those who like that sort of thing might like to combine it with a trip to Greenwich. But for visitors with limited time who haven't seen what's on offer elsewhere, I doubt if the area as a whole 'vaut le détour'.

For what it's worth:
www.museumindocklands.org.uk/museum.htm
www.canarywharf.com

KidsToLondon Jan 21st, 2004 10:29 AM

The Washington Post travel section (Dec 28) had an item on this subject:

www.washingtonpost.com

I don't think Canary Wharf has quite made it to many "must see" lists, compared to, say, Greenwich, but there are some interesting sights if you have time to explore.

Dave White
[email protected]

cigalechanta Jan 21st, 2004 10:37 AM

My friends in London, took me to a few places at Canary Wharf that I would compare to our TGIF's.

Elainee Jan 21st, 2004 11:52 AM

JSmith's idea of walking under the Thames is excellent. Did it last year and it really sets the stage for Greenwich.

retiredinflorida Apr 19th, 2009 06:35 PM

bookmarking, and yes, I am aware that this thread is five years old.

janisj Apr 19th, 2009 07:57 PM

"<i>. . . . yes, I am aware that this thread is five years old.</i>" There is absolutely no reason you need to top/"bookmark" 5 year old threads so you can read them later. Note the "BOOKMARK" button at the top of this page . . . . . .

retiredinflorida Apr 19th, 2009 08:06 PM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention janisj, I'll use the 'bookmark" feature in the future.

paris1953 Apr 20th, 2009 02:33 PM

I feel foolish asking...janisj...where is the bookmark button? I am on a Mac...maybe it displays differently on Safari?? I show options of 'Add a Reply' or 'Share with a Friend' or 'Printer Friendly Version."

yk Apr 20th, 2009 02:38 PM

<b>Bookmark</b> tab is at the very top R corner of the page, next to "Visit our Bookstore". It gives you choice of saving it onto google homepage, or facebook, or favorites folder...

janisj Apr 20th, 2009 04:40 PM

What yk said -- just over to the right of your screen name/logout/Subscribe to our newsletter.