Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London calling - seeing London from the perspective of someone who wants to live here (yep, it's Beth again)

Search

London calling - seeing London from the perspective of someone who wants to live here (yep, it's Beth again)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:18 AM
beth anderson

Message: Hi all, <BR><BR>more adventures:<BR><BR>I looked at a few flats the other day. Two in Hammersmith/Baron's Court area, two in Kensington. The ones in Kensington were much nicer, but a large studio there runs 300 pounds per week. The one bedroom (really, not much bigger than the studio) is 400 pounds per week. But the one bedroom is completely new, the owner is COMPLETELY redoing the building - tearing out everything and starting from scratch. The one BR also has a rooftop terrace - sliding door, with a small patio. I kinda like it but OUCH. (both are furnished incidentally). <BR><BR>I went on a London Walks yesterday and made a new friend - an American who works for the Red Cross, she and her husband are stationed in Germany but they put her on a temporary assignment here in London. nice to meet another "local" even if its only a temporary local!<BR><BR>I also met a very nice couple in their 70s (Margaret and Dennis) - I went to Whitehall to watch the Remembrance Day ceremonies and happened to stand next to them, we talked for a bit and they invited me to go with them to the American Embassy to lay flowers at the Memorial to FDR. Very nice of them - they drove me to the Embassy at noon (very quiet at that time oddly enough - we found a spot to park immediately).<BR><BR>After they lay the flowers at his feet we took a few pictures and then they dropped me at Charing Cross station - I am in the EasyEverything cafe there now - and am heading to Greenwich momentarily. <BR><BR>They were a very interesting and sweet couple - they lived in London during the Blitz - (they were both 10 then) and told me of being bundled off to the countryside for a time. <BR><BR>They also told me their daughter lives in NYC - her birthday was 11 September - you can imagine how they must have felt when they heard of the attacks! They had just spoken to her minutes before to wish her happy birthday...<BR><BR>I just spoke to Sheila Ritchie - very nice of her, she is referring me to a friend here, and another friend of hers will be taking me on a tour of Parliament later this week. I can't wait, that will be a big highlight of the visit.<BR><BR>anyway, must dash, want to get to Greenwich while there is still a lot of daylight left...<BR><BR>Beth

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Joanne

Wow, Beth, sounds like you are settling in nicely!<BR><BR>Just a word of caution about that 1 BR flat that the landlord is "completely redoing". What stage is the project at? <BR><BR>Unless it's nearly done, I would be concerned about the project never getting started, or getting stuck in the middle and never completed. Also, there might be the nuisance of living in the mess and noise of an ongoing construction project -- your own unit or others in the building.<BR><BR>I hve found that in choosing an apartment, it helps to talk to other tenants, to find out what the landlord and neighbors are like.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:27 AM
cdf

Beth, these reports of yours ar great! Very interesting to me since we always play with the idea of going to live in London...maybe not just a dream after all-We will continue to watch for your posts and wish you well~cdf

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Laura

Beth, will you be getting a chance to go visit Sheila anytime soon? She's a dear...how wonderful that she has a friend taking you through Parliament!! So good to hear from you--please keep in touch. Have you had a pizza yet at the Pizza Express near the British Museum? MMMMmmmm!! Especially the Pizza Americana.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:09 AM
beth anderson

Hi all!<BR><BR>I FINALLY went on the Jack the Ripper London Walks tour, last night. Guided by Donald of course. There HAD to have been over 200 people there. we made quite the impressive sight when we walked down the street. I've been on nearly a dozen walks now and it took this long to make it to that one... very good btw. I plan to go on another in an hour or so...<BR><BR>I also went to Greenwich for a few hours. went to Flamsteed House and had some Indian food at a good resto... and found a bookstore - all books one pound. they have many classics there so it's actually worth it to check it out. both of these places are on the main drag, you will see them as soon as you alight from the train station. <BR><BR>I forgot to tell you all - one flat I saw adverted - 14000 dollars a month! for a four bedroom FLAT.<BR><BR>in case anyone is thinking of doing the same - in order to start looking at flats to let, simply go to the neighborhood you'd like to consider and walk up and down the streets - you will see many letting agencies. Additionally, any newstand will sell ~Loot~ - a free advert paper, many many homes are advertised there - to let, to buy, etc. all price ranges. It's actually mind boggling, there are SO MANY!!<BR><BR>in case anyone is wondering, there is also a very good internet cafe in Covent Garden. much nicer than the EasyEverything ones - maybe a little more expensive though, 2 pounds an hour, whereas with EE you take your chances - sometimes it is a pound an hour, sometimes it is 2 pounds an hour. <BR><BR>but this cafe is much more user friendly, not as crowded, and just much more confortable. plus it is much FASTER - I swear at EE they use MODEMS as opposed to ADSL or E-1s or whatever it is they use here for broadband.<BR><BR>I am attending a 'american women's attorney club' meeting tonight near the Natl Gallery, and also meeting up with a friend for dinner or drinking or whatever strikes our fancy.<BR><BR>more later!!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Ann

Is it a bank holiday over there today (Monday)? I've been trying to contact a business in Northern Ireland, but no response. That isn't unusual, of course , but then I thought it might the November holiday.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 03:20 AM
beth anderson

Hi all<BR><BR>The "Women Lawyers in London" meeting went quite well. I am very happy to have found out about that, a recruiter whom I haven't actually met yet (only phone and email so far) told me about it and it was great to meet so many people who were at one time in my very position.<BR><BR>I am actually meeting with one of them today, she has started her own legal recruitment practice. So I am hopeful that that lead will go somewhere as well...<BR><BR>that's all for right now, more later!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 03:01 AM
beth anderson

Hi all<BR><BR>met Kavey last night for a GREAT dinner at Belgo Noord (attention cheap eaters - we got a DEAL! 6 pounds for a main course and glass of wine)<BR><BR>we then went to have dessert. good thing I am doing so much walking.<BR><BR>I have a number of phone calls today, no face to face interviews today though. My recruiter interview went well, yesterday. <BR><BR>I will be meeting Lord Rennard tomorrow for a tour of Parliament, and then I have a few other interviews after (3 actually!!) I might then be meeting my aunt's doctor's daughter for dinner... (she is from a town near my hometown).<BR><BR>so far, so good! I am heading to Hampton Court momentarily...<BR><BR>later all!<BR><BR>Beth