London cabs/ fares

Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

London cabs/ fares

Does anybody know how much approximately it costs to take a taxi from Victoria Station to County Hall? Do cabs allow 4 passengers/ride? Thanks!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM

Try this website

http://www.londontaxicabs.net/
Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM

Recently London cabs, the official ones not the unofficial but ubiquitous 'mini-cabs' were deregulized and can set their own price so there is, in my understanding no set price. In theory you could bargain but as a tourist this would be about as likely as finding a clean public toilet in Itlay. But i guess with deregulation you have to watch out for gouging - ask your hotel desk about prices and booking. It's only about one mile away so shouldn't be extravagant. I believe four persons are the limit in black cabs.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

Go here for better taxi fare information

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

So, does this mean that when we get into the taxi line at Victoria the price could change from cab to cab? Regardless, does anyone have an estimate of how much cash I'll need to get from Victoria Station to County Hall (I don't expect it to be exact!) Thanks!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM

If you had gone to the site I suggested you'd already have your answer. Pal told you how far it is from Victoria..please do the math.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid--I did go to the site but I missed the "fares and tariffs" button the first time like an idiot, I only saw the Journey Planner which is for the subway/buses! I got it now and I apologize for my idiocy.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Do not listen to PALQ.
The limit in most taxis is 5. But some metrocabs (a different type of black cab) will take 6.
It should caast around £10 and i doubt any more.
The fare ARE SET and London taxis are the most reliable in the world.
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I may have been wrong on the number but i base the deregulation of taxi fares on a recent article in the Guardian, who i guess got it wrong.
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM

It's not that I doubt you (please note nicer, more civil tone), but my search on the Guardian website (albeit a quick one) came up empty handed. I did come across this tidbit from the tfl website:
Contrary to the impression given in the Press, the situation is that nothing has
changed. No new rules or regulations have been introduced. The
Government supported a recommendation in the nationwide report by the
Office of Fair Trading (OFT) on taxi and private hire regulation that taxi fares
should be a maximum, and agreed that the situation in London should be
clarified because it was clear that the metered fare was the maximum
elsewhere in England and Wales.

This was in response to an article in the Evening Standard suggesting that haggling with a black taxi would be ok. It's not. The theory was that the metered fare was the maximum and passengers could haggle.
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM

thanks - i humbly stand corrected - i did read that but don't know the article and it may not have gone into effect or been rescinded. And when i said 4 may be max i should not have said that but should have said yes 4 will be OK.
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM

ok, now that we're making nice, I must admit that we have a family of six, so I'm well versed in the various taxi options. I can also tell you that Paris is four (but will squeeze in six if they know it's a good fare. Barcelona, four and that's that.Roma? open to discussion and the size of the passengers........But London? Five except for the metro cabs that have the third rear facing seat.
(Perhaps this should/could be an option of a post being hijacked??)