Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London/Bruges/Amsterdam or Copenhagen/Stockholm

Nov 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Seriously, I need to choose. My BF and I have 10-14 days in June and we can't decide between these two itineraries. We don't want to spend a lot of time in transit, but when we do, tend to prefer to take trains.

I have been to London, but neither of us have been to the other cities. From everything I've read, we can really go wrong no matter which way we go... Any strong opinions out there?

Thanks!
Nov 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM

London/Bruges/Amsterdam will be cheaper. It will also likely be more 'exciting' in terms of nightlife. But, June is probably the best time to visit Copenhagen and Stockholm, with very long days and, arguably, the best chance at decent weather all year.

London to Bruges is an easy train journey.

To get between London and Amsterdam or Copenhagen and Stockholm, you are better off flying. Others will disagree, but unless you are afraid of flying, you will spend less time and probably less money flying. And the flights are so short that the discomfort is readily bearable.
Nov 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM

I'd opt for Copenhagen/Stockholm, especially the latter. Midsummer in Scandinavia is really nice. I don't think Stockholm will be much more expensive than London. Thing to remember is that in midsummer the parties and the night life will all be outside!
Dec 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM

Wow, very tough choice. I've done both itineraries recently and if I had to choose I'd go back to Stockholm in a heartbeat. One of my favorite cities. The train from Copenhagen to Stockhom is scenic, but very long; I broke it up with a day in Kalmar to check out the castle.

Bruges is amazing, and you can do a day trip to Brussels. I found Amsterdam to be a beautiful city, but a tad depressing.

I'm really in to castles and palaces, and those Scandinavian cities have some great ones nearby. Don't miss the Vasa Museum, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
Dec 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM

London/Brugge/Amsterdam are three of my favorite cities, each with its own character and all with loads of interesting activities. An open-jaw arriving London departing Amsterdam with trains in between works extremely well. The trains are very reliable.

Cathedrals and museums can dominate if you wish. London Pubs and Amsterdam Bruins are very interesting. One particular attraction is that the best beer in the world is found in Belgium and, by osmosis, in Holland. Your BF may appreciate this.
Dec 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM

We have been to all of the cities, and I would have to vote for Copenhagen/Stockholm. Of all the cities we have a traveled to, Stockholm is the favorite. It is such a cool and lively city - whether you're talking about nightlife, or daylife (for lack of a better term).

We visited Copenhagen and Stockholm in May and everyone kept telling us that we had June weather for our trip. If that is true, it will be beautiful out.
Dec 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM

10- 14 days in Copenhagen/Stockholm is too long.

My choice would be London, Amsterdam and Stockholm, if you have 14 days.
Dec 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
mjs

I too think 14 days is too much for Copenhagen and Stockholm. Do not remember the train ride from Stockholm to Copenhagen as being anything special. Oslo to Bergen is a nice train ride. Open jaw London/Amsterdam works well with the Eurostar to Brussels and easy train ride to Brugge and Brugge to Amsterdam. London is expensive but Sweden and Denmark are really expensive. Like the London, Amsterdam and Stockholm idea for 2 weeks.
Jan 5th, 2011, 06:40 AM

I've done both trips. A'dam/Brugges would be less expensive. You could do some "in city" stuff, and some day trips. Yes, Stockholm and Copenhagen are nice in the summer. Stockholm's REALLY expensive. Beautiful. Wonderful...but expensive.

I'd do the Netherlands and Belgium. IMHO.
Jan 5th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Last year I did London/Brussels/Amdam with a day trip to Bruges and transport between cities was easy via trains--no reservations, just show up. Consider at least a day trip to Brussels, it's a nice city and I enjoyed it more than I did Bruges (Bruges was very commercial in my opinion). If you go to Amdam, don't waste your time and money on the Heinekin tour---total rip off. If you have time and are interested, suggest a tour of Fullers Brewary in London--really interesting and in a nice suburb. Cheers!
Jan 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I preferred London/Belgium/Amsterdam over Stockholm. I think it was because I like more urban, active settings and Stockholm was a bit dull. Granted, I went from London to Stockholm, so maybe that was why (I was doing too much comparing between the two cities).
Jan 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM

Lucky you! Great options. My husband and I have been to all these cities. June is a perfect time to go to C/S but it will be expensive. 10-14 days there might be too much without side trips. I would vote for L/B/A itinerary but both itineraries are fantastic. Please be sure to post a trip report upon your return!
Feb 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Depending on when in June, how about checking out if theres any rockfestivals around? They tend to start in June.
If thats to your liking, of course.
http://www.bugbog.com/festivals/european_festivals.html
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Find your apartment here and save a lot of money. www.airbnb.com