Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London blooms? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-blooms-315557/)

MHS May 10th, 2003 11:11 AM

London blooms?

Been watching London, York, Edinburgh temps since December. Seemed like a milder winter than here in Northeast, but now temps are beginning to run a bit lower or even with ours. Do tell me that the flower boxes and hanging baskets will be out in abundance in London, etal., mid-to late May!?! Want desperately that bit of color and pride of pub or business or home which I associate especially with England from our first trip there. Any native Londoners out there to give me a status report on this?
thanks from a New Englander sick of winter & this cold rainy spring.

Anonymous May 10th, 2003 11:36 AM

I'm a New Englander rather than a Brit, but I can reassure you that British winters and summer are both more temperate than ours, thanks to the Gulf Stream -- their winters are warmer and their summers are cooler. May is just glorious.

ben_haines_london May 10th, 2003 11:40 AM

Some are out already: the rest will be out next week. Welcome back.

[email protected]

Heimdall May 10th, 2003 01:56 PM

We have had the mildest, dryest Spring that I can remember here in the east of England (about 60 miles north of London), and hopefully the good weather will continue. The dafodils have faded, and it is a bit early for bedding plants to be in bloom, but flowering trees and shrubs are in their glory. Have a good trip.

JudyC May 11th, 2003 02:47 AM

I walked around the City yesterday, many little gardens in squares are fully blooming with tulips, primoses and other bedding plants, it was really pleasant to walk on the quite streets during weekend.

flanneruk May 11th, 2003 11:04 AM

...but the really good news is, it's been raining a bit in the past few days. So the grass is properly green again. AND, outside London, wild flowers seem to be more profuse than I can remember for years

Elainee May 11th, 2003 11:28 AM

Last two days in London quite cool (cold) and rainy with a few breaks of sun. We did not bring warm enough clothes. But the flowers are glorious! Just back from Warwick Castle as recommended on this board. What a place! I certainly recommend it and the town is also very cute. However, nothing in town is open on Sunday. We needed bandaids and cut cream and ended up at Tesco (on edge of town)which was open. Good idea to bring a picnic to Warwick Castle esp. on Sunday as the food there is just adequate. Come to London!

zika45 May 11th, 2003 02:51 PM

Can't say about England, but up here in Edinburgh the flowers have been out for a while. We've had mild weather, although the past week has been rather screwy. I've been watching the temps in the Boston area (my home), and I must say I'm rather jealous of your 75 and 80 degree days!

annettetx May 11th, 2003 03:27 PM

How screwy is the weather in Edinburgh?
We've seen some forecasts that say the temps won't rise above 60 and others that say it could get up to 70?! We'll be in London and Edinburgh and points in between from 5/15 to 5/26 and wish the weather forecasters would arrive at a consensus so that we know what to pack!
Annette

PatrickLondon May 12th, 2003 12:11 AM

Even a weather forecasters' consensus can be wrong. Pack for layers.

MHS May 13th, 2003 04:04 PM

Thank you all for your kind responses -- I shall keep the image of / expectation of seeing these blooms while enduring JFK ticket & security lines. Have hopefully planned for the chancy weather, if rain-jacket & cotton sweater doesn't suffice, can always pick up one of those tourist sweatshirts or T-shirts and "stand out" (grin). Thanks again and for all the help this board has given me in the planning of this trip.