Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   london best play to see with children (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-best-play-to-see-with-children-95068/)

dana Nov 28th, 2000 06:06 PM

london best play to see with children

will be in London beginning of April with 2 children ages 11 and 15.Have only one night to see a play.Need suggestion on what would be the best to see. I think they would prefer a musical but a good drama would be ok. Thanks in advance.

gwen Nov 28th, 2000 06:19 PM

I'm really not sure if it's still playing, but I would suggest Starlight Express. It's all done on rollar skates and very action filled. I think the kids would love it.

gwen Nov 28th, 2000 06:26 PM

I just did a search and Starlight Express is still playing. The theatre is right near Victoria Starion. <BR>Enjoy.

cyndy Nov 29th, 2000 02:31 AM

By far the best musical I've ever seen is the Lion King - it's for adults and children with amazing costumes and an extraordinary production. Saw it in London and got tickets over the net at London Theatre Tickets, I think. It's worth every penny and your children will thank you! Starlight Express is great too, if you can't get Lion King tickets. Good luck!

elaine Nov 29th, 2000 04:47 AM

I agree with Starlight Express and the Lion King. Starlight has been playing for eons, lots of physical action, noise, and rock and roll-ish music. <BR>For Lion King, tell your 15-year-old that it's much more sophisticated in presentation than the cartoon was. <BR>The story is still simple (simple-minded, in some opinions), but the visual effects are magical and very cool.

perry Nov 29th, 2000 05:13 AM

You might want to lok into the musical Mamma Mia. The music consists of Abba's best songs and acts as the theme through the play set on a Greek island. Very enjoyable, by the end the audience is on its feet and singing along.

SharonM Nov 29th, 2000 10:54 AM

I saw "CATS" for the first time in London (many years ago...), and of course, it was spectacular. If they haven't seen it already, I would suggest it. <BR>Have also seen "BARNUM" in London, which I though was just "ok", but centers itself on Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Heather Nov 29th, 2000 12:55 PM

My suggestion: <BR>LION KING, LION KING, LION KING! <BR>It's great for all ages. <BR> <BR>Mamma Mia is great also, but I think there are a few adult themes you may not want your children to see.

dana Dec 2nd, 2000 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. <BR>I think my husband and I would like to see Mamma Mia. To anyone who has seen Mamma Mia are the adult themes to much for an 11 and 15 year old.

Lori Dec 3rd, 2000 04:43 AM

Compared to what is on your average "family" t.v. show (language, theme, and sex) there is nothing in Mamma Mia that would shock or offend any 11 or 15 yr old. I'm an adult and frequently change channels on the t.v. because of the nature of some of the sitcoms, etc. (I don't think I'm a prude, I just think some subjects and language are out of line for family t.v., it's overdone .. my opinions only, don't anyone jump on me for this) but there is nothing in Mamma Mia to make you want to jump up and run out or cover your kids eyes/ears!! The general theme is that the mother had an affair years ago that produced a daughter who is now getting married. The daughter wrote letters to 3 men who her mother was seeing back then and the 3 men arrive for the wedding, none knowing if they are the father. It is all done in humor and comedy with nothing to take offense at....certainly not compared to what is on your average family t.v. show. The music is delightful and the entire audience seems to get into the mood of it all, it's really a fun show. The 11 yr old may like Lion King better - who knows, also Starlight Express is a sure bet for kids of all ages.

Ron Dec 3rd, 2000 09:04 AM

my wife and I were in London in October and went to "Phantom" and "Whistle Down the Wind". both are Andrew Lloyd Weber and excellent. "Whistle" has a cast of mostly children and was very entertaining.