Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London best location (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-best-location-1236524/)

carolj Mar 23rd, 2017 08:55 PM

London best location

I'll be meeting three girlfriends in London in September. We'll spend three nights there before handing to the countryside. We've been looking at Airbnb, but don't know what area of the city we should concentrate on. We're interested in the typical tourist spots and shopping. Suggestions?

janisj Mar 23rd, 2017 10:10 PM

There are about 30+ neighborhoods that are good/central and full of accommodations. Basically look at areas inside the Circle tube line.

The 'typical tourist spots' and shopping are spread over the entire city.

Rubicund Mar 24th, 2017 02:30 AM

We tend to stay near the river in the Tower Bridge area, which is close to the Tate Modern, Globe Theatre, Tower of London, Borough Market, St Katharine's Dock etc. As we prefer hotels, I can recommend the Tower, right by Tower Bridge. There's a water bus stop outside which takes you to Greenwich.

tailsock Mar 24th, 2017 05:27 AM

If you're trying to save money with airBnB try looking at hotels dot com and sorting by price. There are many non-hostel properties you can book for about $40 a night and up. Westminster, Marble Arch, and Tower Bridge areas are close to lots of the attractions.

carolj Mar 27th, 2017 11:29 AM

Thank you all. This helps a lot. I think we'll start our search in the Tower Bridge area.

tuscanlifeedit Mar 27th, 2017 01:12 PM

carolj, to each their own, of course, but I wouldn't stay near Tower Bridge. I did once for a very good rate at a very nice hotel, but I don't find it that central.

Lots more to consider: we found a great airbnb in Knightsbridge, and have stayed in South Kensington, and Soho.

historytraveler Mar 27th, 2017 01:31 PM

Almost anywhere in central London is a good option. I've been visiting for years and have stayed in many different locations, all good. Personally I like Knightsbridge and South Kensington. Stayed in Notting Hill area for years but for the past several years have booked The Rubens at the Palace between Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. As already mentioned, there are a number of possibilities. Visitors often have a favorite but that doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other. Anywhere within the Circle Line is fine, but I think janisj already said that.

janisj Mar 27th, 2017 04:21 PM

The only place I'd stay near Tower Bridge would be in the Marina.

Reasons being -- all the restaurants right there, very (VERY) quiet because there is essentially no vehicular traffic, next door to the Tower, and lovely views. Decent transport via Tower Hill station and the #15 bus which connect the area with Trafalgar square and everything in between.

But unless I rented a flat in the Marina for those reasons, I wouldn't stay out that way.

There are so many more central neighborhoods.

(I have stayed in St Katharine's Marina maybe 6 times, but in more central areas -- 30+ times.)

menachem Mar 27th, 2017 11:06 PM

Does your stay fall inside the weekend? If so, you'll find the City (near the Tower) to be pretty much dead. As in: hard to find a shop that's open, a restaurant that will serve you or a pub where you can have a drink.

Last time I was in London, I really liked the area around Brick Lane. Gentrified of course, in the hipster way. But lively on weekends, many casual places to have a drink or eat (apart form many curry houses) and a good vibe.

Sberg Apr 3rd, 2017 06:02 PM

bookmarking

annw Apr 3rd, 2017 07:43 PM

I like Kensington area as well; this June I happen to be staying near Marble Arch because there's a club there where I have reciprocal privileges and can stay very reasonably and fairly centrally.

A previous visit we stayed near Berkley Square, not far from Green Park stop, though that area was more pricey. A visit before that I stayed in a b&b off Russell Square which was convenient to British Museum etc.

Near a Tube stop would be helpful. I don't think I'd stay on the south bank, despite the attractions of the Tate etc.

cherie2125 Apr 4th, 2017 06:51 PM

Bloomsbury is a great location. The transportation is very good with the tube and buses. I often walk to the theater
from my hotel and the British Museum is in the area.
If you are doing some train travel, Euston, St. Pancreas and Kings Cross are nearby.

mjs Apr 4th, 2017 08:29 PM

I have stayed all over London over the years but recently tend to stay in the Park Lane area or Bloomsbury or Covent Garden. I tend to walk places so most of what I return to is close to the above areas, especially as I tend to do theatre in the evenings.