Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Beat: Trafalgar Pigeons All Gone? Not!

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year i wrote something that said something about the ubiquitous flock of pigeons in Trafalgar Square and was quickly corrected for my faux pas. Apparently in another 'pet' project of London Mayor 'Red' Ken Livingstone, his determination to rid the square of these 'rats with wings' (not sure he said this but someone did) succeeded, being another testimony to his doggedness of making his projects succeed.
So after decades of feeding pigeons in Traflagar - i guess a few families had a lock on the pigeon-feed selling to tourists - pigeons are rarely seen here.
And last December i saw nary a bird, let along a pigeon, in Trafalgar Square.
So it was with great surprise that BBC carried a report recently on the pigeon flap in Trafalgar Square - apparently the Mayor has relented to protests of an animal rights group to allow them to feed Trafalgar pigeons in the square, but only early in the morning. So there are pigeons in Trafalgar - the question is how to they keep them out the rest of the day - feed them somewhere else?
Or in the worse scenario, where have all the hundreds of pigeons gone - into pigeon pie. A few years ago pigeons were disappearing from Trafalgar and they were suspected of ending up as pigeon pie, sold in the East End i believe.
Does anyone still eat pigeon pie?
Just curious
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Those pigeons probably wised up and flew to San Marco.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM

London is full of trees and bushes producing seeds, not to mention all the food scraps people scatter around. Even the fat and lazy pigeons around could work that out. Some of them know how to take the tube, after all.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM

London pigeons live on kebabs, vomit and fag ends. They'd survive a nuclear attack.

Look at how many of them have toes missing. These are sturdy birds.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

then with such a disgusting 'free range' diet i suppose few would want to eat them! Seriously do Londoners still eat pigeon pie? Where could i go in London to legally eat pigeon pie?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Pigeons are cockroaches with wings
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM

We don't eat London pigeons. No one in their right mind would eat a London pigeon. We eat wood pigeons which are a different bird altogether that lives in the country and doesn't eat puke.

Lots of places sell pigeon pie - the usual suspects like Wiltons and Rules would probably have it.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I believe that you can tell if they're genuine free range pigeons by the number bits of shot you find yourself biting on. One way to test out the famous superiority of US dentistry, I suppose.

<that'll get the thread running......>
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I've often heard that Brits often neglect their teeth terribly and it's kind of a national embarassment.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM

how bad are American teeth that they need so much spent on them?

Me, I haven't been to a dentist in 20 years and my tooth is fine
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

LOL! Yes the British must spend more per tooth per dental care than any country in the world!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM

This is hilarious, especially the part about not eating a pigeon because of what IT eats.

Obviosuly, none of you have ever been to a farm to see what pigs eat (do they still call it "slop?") much less the stuff fed to the bovines..if you went you'd probably become vegetarians!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Do "wood pigeons" eat gourmet meals or do they eat worms, bugs, slugs, etc.?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Neopolitan

I have it on good authority from a pig owner that her pigs' favorite thing was ham scraps. They'd root through the garbage thrown them to find the scraps of ham first.
Talk about cannibalistic!

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Neopolitan

No pigeon pie on the menu at Rules, but it is on the menu at St.John in Smithfield Market (along with every part of every animal imagineable).

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

As for what pigs like...years ago as a young backpacker in India the dirt-cheap hotel - actually a beach hut in Goa - had outside toilets and whenever someone can to do their business the hogs started squealing with joy - with the expected culinary delight being soon dumped down the metal slide to their waiting mouths.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM

I am reminded of the infamous Tom Lehrer's song "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park".

It has long been my belief that both Piazza San Marco and Trafalgar Square were in bad need of a large dose of poisoned pigeon feed and/or the reintroduction of hawks to decimate the flocks.

And they could stop selling those "damn pigeons" hats in Trafalgar Square dotted with replicas of plastic pigeon feed.

PS I actually have one of those "damn" hats. I couldn't resist certainly one of the tackiest souvenir hats ever invented!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:11 AM

They did try putting a contraceptive in the pigeon feed. It didn't work.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Too chewy, I suppose.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:26 AM

They couldn't get them out of the foil packets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information