London at the end of November

Aug 21st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

London at the end of November

Hi everybody!

I am planning a visit to London for 4 days (2 days London + 4 days Rome + 2 days London) the last week of November.

I need recommendations of things to do. I have been there once before and I fell in love with the Tower of London (will be visiting again... the yeomen are amazing!). However, my friend is into doing more exciting things (not keen on museums or history) and I am wondering if you could give me suggestions.

Also, I would like to take a day trip but with the trip being in late November I am curious as to what the weather will be like and what places would be nice to visit that time of year. I've been to Windsor, and not too interested in visiting Stonehenge.

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate any help/suggestions.
Aug 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM

"exciting things"

Could you be more specific?
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM

I would recommend attending the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower, however, you need to write in to request tickets well in advance.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/...ofthekeys.aspx

The Churchill Museum is wonderful and I find that even non-history people enjoy it.

I basically sit in pubs all the time and drink, hence I'm not very exciting. What are you interested in learning more about?

You could do Bath as a day trip, Cambridge or Oxford, Canterbury, Brighton
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM

How about the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London? There was a thread on it earlier in the summer. You have to get tickets in advance by writing.

Enjoy.
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM

For a day trip, what about one of the college towns? My favorite is Cambridge. Take the HO/HO bus tour. Spend some time exploring the American Cemetery at Madingley (it's on the HO/HO line). Visit some of the wonderful book stores, stroll along the Cam, stop in Kings College Chapel, the Round Church, and one of the many pubs for a good lunch. Shop for souvenirs in the market square. Take a tour of one or more of the colleges if such tours are available that day. Cambridge is little more than an hour by train from King's Cross.
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:18 AM

I think you have to define "exciting". And perhaps tell us your age group. I was in London in November in my 20's and exciting was pretty different then than it would be now. I remember pubs and parties and walking the markets. Also what days of the week you'll be there--Portobello Market is great for example, but only if you're there on Saturday.
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM

Oh, and if you and your friend are into Christmas, don't miss the Christmas shop at Harrod's.
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM

Bath would be my choice for a winter day trip. There is nice Christmas Market that starts on November 25th this year. Such a beautiful small city! And lots of shops, pubs, museums, etc. to pop into if you get cold. Since it is a year round destination, probably the hop-on-hop-off tour buses still run, also.

I also like Brighton. We were there once in November. I expected it to be cold so we packed our boots, heavy coats, etc. Instead they were having an unusual heat wave and people were going around in shorts.
Aug 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM

Try Spitalfield's Market (modern art and antiques (Fri-Sun), Borough Market (food, Thu-Sat), the parks (Hyde Park, Regent's Park, St. James' Park), Hampstead Heath, Camden market, try and see a performance at the Roundhouse in Camden maybe?

I second the Bath recommendation.
Aug 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM

For a day trip, I choose Oxford. I love Oxford, what can I say. Bath is also very nice. So is Winchester.
Aug 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM

Bath is also very nice. So is Winchester.>>>

One of these is a briliant idea (clue: not Bath)
Aug 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM

I think Winchester would make a nice day trip - I took a day trip to there once and did a "roof tour" of the cathedral in addition to seeing the interior. The roof tour went up into the vaulting above the nave and out along the edge of the roof, and into the bell tower. This was back in winter of 2003, so not sure if it's something still offered or not - their website would say. I thought it was exciting and kind of an unusual tour.
Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:57 AM

The "roof tour" isn't usually available.

But it is wonderful if it's on.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

I realize my definition of "exciting" may be a bit different tot categorize in activities/attractions.

My friend and I are both in our early 20's however we are not party-ers and not interested in club/bar-hopping. By exciting, I mean some adventurous activities or just anything unusual really.

Thanks again.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM

Climb Monument. I think there are companies that arrange bungee jumping off of either Monument or some other building - I forget which. Some googling would get you the answer.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM

Definitely not the Monument.