Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Are partial week apartment rentals possible during Christmas week?

Sep 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

This would be for a family of five for 4 or 5 nights. If you know of any place that does this, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks.
Sep 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
twk

Might be hard to find. One thing to consider--you may want to rent your apartment for the night before you arrive if you are coming from the US and will be arriving early in the morning. It's nice to be able to go straight to your apartment rather than having to wait until afternoon for someone else to vacate or the cleaners to come, as is often the case.
Sep 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM

I honestly don't think you'd have ANY trouble finding a short let over that period. Many flats are available for 3 or 4 night minimums. It isn't like country cottages that mostly rent for fulll weeks from a fixed starting day. London flats can be rented from any day of the week - and some even rent by the night. And London flats usually don't have higher rents over Christmas like happens w/ holiday cottages.

Here is just one agency that has a 3-night minimum. http://eandeapartments.co.uk/

But what is your budget?
Sep 7th, 2007, 04:55 AM

It doesn't hurt to ask if you find a place that appeals to you. Sometimes even if they state they have a 7 day minimum, your days might fill in an empty slot in their bookings so they'll accept 4-5 days.

Check VRBO or I've used this one:
www.londonguestsuites.com
Sep 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links!

I'm seeing that they charge in US dollars.

Our budget is between $350-$450/night.

If you know of a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment that sleeps 5, near the Metro, let me know.

Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM

The link I provided charges in £. 3 bdrm flats are harder to find - though definitely not impossible. However many, if not most, 2 bdrm flats will sleep 5 or even 6. Usually there will be a double or queen bed in one room, twins in the second bedrm, and a futon or sofa sleeper in the living room. A 2bdrm sleeping 5 w/ e&e runs £770 a week, or £121 a night for 3 - 6 nights.

vrbo will have some flats priced in US$ (usually if the owner is American) and but most are priced in £.
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

janisj, does E and E Apartments provide pictures of their flats?
Sep 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM

seetheworld: OK - sort of hard to explain how e&e works. I've used them 9 or 10 times and always had a good flat. BUT the way they keep their rates so low is a bit different business model.

All of their flats are individually owned and are different, but are priced the same for the same sized places. Instead of assigning you a specific flat - they give you the size/type you book. They find they have a LOT less dead days this way since they have the flexibility to shuffle clients into a different property. (not during your stay - all the shuffling occurs in the background before you arrive and they give you the keys)

You will never get less than you pay for - but might get more. Twice I've booked a 1 bedroom and was upgraded to a 2 bdrm because all of the 1-bdrms were full

Sooo - long way to explain if one wants a flat at a reasonable price but doesn't need to be in a particular place - they are a really good option.

But if one wants a specific apartment and is the type who studies lots of properties and compares amenities/address/photos - they might not be the best choice.

Just depends on your comfort level/requirements . . . .
Sep 8th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Click on "Property Search" at the link I provided & if you enter $450 as a maximum & 3 bedrooms & 2 baths plus "under a week," you'll find 10 properties that meet your specifications.
Sep 8th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanation, janisj. I'm not certain we can work that way, but I understand the premise.

Carrybean, I did a search and it came up with 8 properties. The only one I liked was the one with 2 trundle beds (not sure that will work for us).

I thought $450/night would be a generous budget and some of the apartments in that 8 looked a bit "tired" (maybe I'm not being realistic).

I now have the oldest DS doing a search too -- that will really help. Has anyone used vacationrentals.com?
Sep 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Some of these are cross-listed. Found one on VRBO that is also on vacationrentals.com & that's not unusual. A flat I used to rent was listed on 3 different sites.

You're talking about really pricey real estate when you want London. VRBO has the following which I "think" meets what you want. Inquire about less than a week.

89581 (but check how far the tube station is on this one)

Sep 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, carrybean! They are lovely! I just sent an email off to one of them.