London apartment - VRBO #217379

Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

London apartment - VRBO #217379

I'm looking at this London apartment through VRBO for a week at the end of December, any opinions, words of warning or advice? http://www.vrbo.com/217379

It is "minutes from West Kensington Underground" - I've already requested a bit more of an address. The District line is perfect for the places I'm planning on going most. It is 69 pounds per night (483 for the week), so not the cheapest but still within my budget. A full kitchen like this would be great. I'll be coming off of a two week tour in Egypt, so simple "home cooked" food will be a wonderful thing.

I'm a little worried that there have been no previous guest comments. Is the area around the West Kensington underground a nice area, or would a young woman alone likely be in trouble? Has anyone stayed here before? Are there other places you might suggest instead of this apartment?

Thanks for your help!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
yk

Doesn't seem that good of a deal for a place that's a bit far out.

Is this your only choice that's affordable? I really would prefer something closer to town.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM

This is the place with full address etc...

http://www.priceline.co.uk/hotel/377...use_hotel.html

Looks ok - small though - by studio they mean one room that serves as your bedroom, living area and kitchen all in one. From their photos you can see that the bed is right alongside the kitchen cabinets and cooker, and the living area looks like it's just a square table and 2 dining chairs, if you don't mind that, they look ok. Watch out for the photos on the link above, many of those are not of a studio apartment but of the larger apartments there.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

What's out there that is better? My budget is about 80 pounds per night. I definitely need a refrigerator and a microwave would be great. I'm traveling alone, and most of the self catering places I've seen are geared entirely for families or couples at least and priced accordingly. It's a 25 min tube ride to Tower Hill Underground, which is likely the furthest east I would go, so other places should be less time than that. I'd love to find a place between the Tower and Westminster areas, but I doubt there's much in my budget, that offers at least a mini-refrigerator.

I'm out of ideas for where to look online for a better deal. Any ideas?
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
yk

I guess what I'm asking is are there other VRBO apartments that fit your budget and your requirements? I would prefer places in Kensington, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Bloomsbury.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
yk

Also take a look at the listings on homeaway:
http://www.homeaway.com/search/refin...edrooms:Studio
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM

Redhead: I hope you stay there because the west side location and the size looks perfect for me, too! I'd like a review.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

That was the best one for me on VRBO, I'm pretty sure it was searching all of the London area.

Thanks for the link to homeaway.com, I'd never heard of that site and some of those places look great.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM

I looked up the address in London A-Z and it looks like a short 2 - 2 1/2 minute walk to the W. Kensington tube station. Only bad thing is you have to cross North End Road, which is colored a yellow "B" road - don't know if that's better or worse than an "A" road.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM

Since you need a refrigerator and cooking facilities, have you considered a hostel? Take a look at www.yha.org.uk

Lee Ann
Apr 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM

I know the area in a professional capacity (this is not usually a good thing...).

Take a look at this map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Basically the boundary is the North End Road. The bit that you're in is usually referred to as Baron's Court and is really rather nice indeed - good pubs and restaurants etc. It's a pricey area. The other side of the N End Rd is social housing and can get very hairy (if you want some addreses of crack houses - let me know!). The two exist in mutual ignorance of each other (this is very common in London - only the very rich or the very poor live in the middle)

In all seriousness I wuld be happy to stay there and would be happy for any female relative to stay there.

Baron's Ct tube is on the picadilly line - which will take you pretty much anywhere a tourist is likely to want to go.