London Apartment Rentals - Zone 1 - Feedback requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a Canadian couple in London for 1 week Sept 28-Oct 5, 2010. Looking for a 1 br (studio with kitchen facilities would work) in zone 1 area close to attractions, restaurants, pubs, shopping and the tube. We plan to use public transportation during our stay. I have looked at other threads and am leaning towards the Kensington and Chelsea areas. However, there are many flats in the Bayswater area that are reasonable and I'm wondering about this area as well as near Tower bridge. Our budget is 600-800 pounds for the week.

Here are some links to properities that I'm considering and I would appreciate feedback on their suitability.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/102666

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/100713

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/82770

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/101176

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/82770

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/118314

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/31834

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/120917

Many thanks,

Myles
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

I like the 2 in Chelsea mainly because that is the area we've stayed in for over 30 years. Great shop and transportation and services. I also like the one near Borough Market, just because I love Borough Mkt and the Southbank shops and attractions. An they are an easy stroll across the Millennium Bridge to St Paul and better transport
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not re the actual flats -- but just re the locations:

102666: Nice area. Bit of a walk to S Kens tube station but not bad. Good bus service

100713: Amazing views from the terrace - good location though very quiet at night. Have an acquaintance who lives practically next door in a VERY posh place.

82770: I don't think they say exactly where it is but is a 3rd floor walk up (2nd floor UK) 15 minutes from S Kens/Sloane Sq tube stations. Kings Road has lots of buses but I personally would not stay 15 mins from a tube station (plus a posted "15 mins" could easily be more in 'real life')

101176: I wouldn't - it is out beyond City Rd and a hike to Angel tube. A good place to live - not a convenient place for sightseeing/a short visit.

118314: Close to the absolute center of London -- Very convenient to everywhere.

31834: Very close to 100713. Same business area / dead at night

120917: Very convenient near Fulham Rd./S. Kensington tube.

Did I miss one (?)- Don't see one near Borough Market.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM

janisj 100713 is 2 minutes from Borough Mkt
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

avalon & janis

Thanks for your feedback. I see I had one there twice....sorry. What I'm looking for is convenient to transportation and restaurants/pubs for evening. Walking is fine but not 15 minuets every time we go out or back.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM

"<i>janisj 100713 is 2 minutes from Borough Mkt</i>"

Nope -- it is on the north bank of the river near Mansion house and Cannon St tube. It is definitely in The City (dead at night) and not on the southbank.

(That's a feature of the holidaylettings site -- they seldom give accurate info re what's nearby.)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM

mgwest: oh, our posts crossed -= didn't see your last one. The ones I'd pick for convenience (again not re the rents/amenities, simply based on location) would be 118314, 120917, 102666 -- probably in that order, but all three are in very good locations.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM

I didn't read them all in detail, but a few things caught my eye:

- studio vs. one bedroom - I would not do a studio. It is nice when crossing time zones to have space if one is sleeping and one cannot.

- laundry. One talked about convenient laundry facilities in the basement. To me, that isn't convenient... one of the main benefits for me is laundry - makes packing lighter soooo much easier!

- do all have wireless internet access? This is also a huge bonus for us since it makes it easier to look up things, answer email, etc.

- changeover day. Some had 'flexible' while at least one listed Friday. Do you have flights booked ? This might eliminate one or more....

100713 looks nice, but does it get ANY natural light ?

31834 - is that near the OXO Tower ? might be a nice option ?

good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:01 PM

"<i>31834 - is that near the OXO Tower ? might be a nice option ?</i>"

No - well, as the crow flies it isn't that far It is across the river.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:21 PM

thanks janisj... we just stayed at County Hall and I was afraid there wouldn't be a lot of dining options nearby. I didn't realize how close it was to Southbank Centre!

I realize many places there are of the chain variety and might not be great, but for our family, there were lots of options. And a few that I might actually eat at again! We tried to eat at the top of the OXO Tower, but it was a Friday night and we were competing with happy hour people. Next time...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM

yes, there are a lot of places to eat all along the southbank from County Hall all the way to Hays Galleria and beyond. It would be a great place to stay.

I go to the OXO Tower either for a meal or just for drinks almost every time I'm in London . . . .
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

surfmom & janis

Thanks for your your comments and discussion re 31834. Is this flat in a good location too....pubs, eating out in the evening? What is the OXO Tower? What about this one near St Paul's as far as location goes?

http://londonrentalflats.com/booking...ropID=19&ln=en

Thanks,

Myles
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM

Just to clarify - I don't personally think 31834 and 100713 are in terrific locations (they are very near each other). They are in good locations but in The City - which is the heart of the main business area and virtually deserted at night. Not scary deserted or anything like that, but not much nearby in the way of restaurants, pubs, etc.

The one in the White House is very close to the County Hall hotel surfmom mentioned. One side of the bldg faces the back of the Royal Festival Hall and the other side faces a busy road/roundabout/Imax theatre in front of Waterloo Station.

It is on the southbank and there are lots of restaurants/tourist attractions along there -- the Eye, concert halls, Tate Britain, the Globe, etc.

OXO Tower = restaurants and a few shops in a converted bldg on the river. When most people mention the OXO Tower they are talking specifically about it's namesake's restaurant/cocktail lounge.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM

Meant to add -- I'd still maybe prefer the locations of 118314 or 120917, but it has good transport connections w/ 3 tube lines, mainline train station and a nearby pier for river taxis/boats.

It would also be walking distance to Big Ben/Westmnister Abbey.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

janisj

Thanks for the clarification and info re the area of 31834 and 100713..........we really would like a busier area in the evening to enjoy the pubs, etc.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Myles:

I stayed in that White House apartment referenced in your 3:09 May 23 post. The location is fantastic, the bedroom is awful.

Stay elsewhere.

The apartment abuts the roadway leading to the bridge, the traffic is loud and does not quiet down. The apartment is on the third floor, which is level with Waterloo Road, which leads onto the bridge. The soundproofing in the apartment is crap. I grew up in New York, I've lived in cities almost my whole life, I've visited London and stayed at middling hotels, and this is the only place where street noise actually affected me. I slept with ear plugs.

And the renters are not easy to deal with -- there are lots of hidden charges in dealing with them and other minor inconveniences (they make you go to some hotel in Bayswater to pick up the keys, which is a royal pain because Bayswater is nowhere near Southbank). And that little loveseat (it's not a US size sofa) is hideous in real life.

If you can find an apartment in that building that faces the river or is high above the roadway with great soundproofing, that's fine. The area is great, Waterloo station is just three blocks away (no, it's not near St. Paul's), the Southbank is one of the liveliest places in London.

But that apartment: no, no, a thousand times, no.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss

Many thanks.........they have been emailing me every day and I've got the price down 20 pounds but your feedback has convinced me to go elsewhere. I'm considering this one, the feedback is good, double windows so reasonably quiet.

Does anyone have a comment re location?

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p53643

Thanks again.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Your latest option would be a great location. Virtually across the street from the British Museum and close to both the Tottenham Court Rd and Holborn underground stations so easy access to three tube lines. Close to Sir John Soane's museum, Covent Garden, Seven Dials, and loads of theatres.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

janisj

Thanks.........I thought it would be a good location, now I just have to get the owner to respond to my querey. Can I take the tube (express) or train from Heathrow to here or would a car for hire be a better option?
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM

You can take the tube from LHR to Holborn station w/o any changes - about a 5 min walk, a bit more pulling luggage.

A car service would cost more but be door-to-door.

Trains don't make much sense since Paddington is so far awayand you'd either have to take an expensive cab or the tube w/ transfer(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -