Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London apartment 1 week rental in May 2008

Oct 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Help! We're going to spend 7 nights in London in mid May, and I need some advice re neighborhood and transportation.

There are 2 adults; we will want to have breakfast everyday in the flat, we will usually eat lunch while we are out sightseeing, and will want to bring home take-away or supermarket items for dinner most nights.

We will be visiting the British Museum, Westminster Abbey, The Natural History Museum, The National Gallery, and will probably attend a play on 2-3 nights. We also plan to make a couple of day trips--Oxford or Cambridge, Bath,and possibly Greenwich.

We are looking for clean and comfortable, not lavish, in a safe walking neighborhood close to public transportation, with nearby stops for above mentioned take-away and groceries.

We would prefer a 1 bedroom over an efficiency, in case one of us wants to sleep while the other has lights on for reading.

Our preferred budget is 500-750 pounds($1000-$1500 USD)

I would appreciate recommendations for a couple of neighborhoods/areas to target in my search. I have previously stayed in The Sheraton Park Place, and The Millenium Bailey, and both were fine, but we have had good luck in Paris renting an apartment, and would like to do this in London.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Barb
Oct 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
twk

We stayed at in an apartment on Palmer Street that would appear to meet your criteria (although it is 770 per week instead of 750).

http://www.vrbo.com/47902

The place couldn't be better located--about 30 yards from the entrance to the building to the entrance to the St. James Park tube station. A block and a half walk from bus stops on Victoria Street. About 2 blocks from the largest Sainsbury's in Central London. Across the street from the former Home Office, and diagonally across the street from Wellington Barracks.

Small table and chairs, but it should work just fine for breakfast for two (that is the only meal that we cooked at the apartment, which we did every morning). Separate bedroom with king sized bed. New TV with satellite channels (about 18 instead of the usual 4 you see in most of the UK).
Oct 12th, 2007, 11:53 PM

I've used www.londonconnections.com several times and I've been very pleased. I like to stay in the West End because you can walk to the theatres, cinemas and restaurants at night (and because I've stayed in Chelsea and found myself spending more for cabfare than I wanted).

Tina
Oct 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM

You might like to send an email to [email protected]. Chris, used to work for Scala House, which was a popular place to stay amongst Fodorites. Unfortunately, it was sold and they no longer rent it out for short term accommodation.

Chris used to work there but at the moment is working for the above. He has been so helpful, really over and above the call of duty IMHO. I don't think the place we have booked is the flashest but it is practical, good locale,within our budget and suits our purpose.

He has a number of properties to recommend.

Chris has been a real pleasure to deal with.
Oct 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM

strombird: That is good info about where Chris is now. He was so helpful w/ my weird Scala House booking last Feb (three flats all for different, overlapping dates)

W/ Scala House and E&E out of business, my budget sources are getting pretty slim . . . . .
Oct 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM

oops meant to add - Barb_in_Ga: You will need to plan on the upper end of your budget or a tad more. Flats that rented for £550-£600 just 18 months ago seem to be in the area of £700-£800 now.

There are some one bedrooms in your price range, but you will find mostley studios at those rates.
Oct 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Try holiday-rentals.co.uk. Property 1904 is a one bedroom on Upper Berkley Street just north of Marble Arch. The cost is 560 GBP per week plus an additional 6 GBP per person for sheets and towels.

I haven't stayed here, but have had e-mail discussions with the owner who seems very nice.
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:45 AM

Hi Janis,
Yes it's great that we still have the contact with Chris. He is an absolute gem - has been extremely helpful.

He is still looking at further employment (within the industry) so I will tell him to ensure he stays in touch if he changes from his current position.

I think where he is at present is more the budget type accommodation and I think he is hoping to incorporate budget with slightly more, shall we say, upmarket lodgings.
Oct 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM

As far as I can tell, E&E Apartments is still in business:
http://eandeapartments.co.uk/index.htm

They have apartments in the Victoria & Pimlico area and their rates are very good. You won't know exactly where you'll be staying - but you'll always get what you ask for or better.

And there's a good Sainsbury's market in that area.
Oct 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Hi Janis - when did you hear about EandE? I was working with them just this summer and they were still in business - that would be very disappointing because their rates were very good.
Oct 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM

I know the e&e website is still up. But a friend I had referred to them told me his e-mails came back undeliverable. So last month I tried as well, and my e-mail also was kicked back. So I just assumed they had shut down (I know, I know -- assuming )

I knew their office had moved off of Wilton Rd - which was updated on the website.

Maybe I'll try phoning tomorrow to see if there is a referral number. It would be great if they are still around.
Oct 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
twk

Just curious how your search is going?
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM

We are renting from this agency next week. So far all communication with them has been great. I'll let you know how we liked the flat after we get back.
http://farnum-christ.com/

by the way, Closeness to a tube station is my most important criteria.
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM

I just used the same agency this September SusieQQ! Patrick recommended them highly and I really enjoyed working with them - our flat was great, a bit pricey, but worth it. What flat are you renting - we used the Cromwell Gardens flat - very close to Gloucester Road tube. I agree with you that tube location is a priority when renting a flat.
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM

kmowatt, I also rented through Farmum-Christ on Patrick's recommendation. Our flat is the St.James Place one. It is very close to the Green Park tube station. I know that area very well since my favorite hotel, Dukes, is nearby.
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I loved the look of the St James flat and you can't beat the area for location, that's for sure. I had this flat on my list, but unfortunately it was taken for the week that we were in London. Let me know what you think of it. Have a great time.

PS - if you are interested, the Terracotta Warriors exhibit at the BM was very good and the comedy "the Country Wife" was worth seeing.