London Antique Stores or Markets?

Jul 14th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

London Antique Stores or Markets?

I need recommendations of quality antique stores or markets with good merchandise that is priced within reason. I am not interested in pop culture or anything made after 1945. In particular I am looking for decorative pieces of silver, copper, brass or ceramic could be European, Middle Eastern or Asian. Any suggestions? I would also welcome recommendations of stores that carry good reproductions?
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Intrepid

Whatever you decide to buy I would strongly suggest you get written authentication from the seller of its "antique" status so you can avoid customs duty upon return. Good luck!

Jul 14th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Actually some of the permanent dealers on Portobello Rd have fine silver items, I especially like Wyn Wilkenson for 18-19th cen flatware . Go to the Silver Vaults, Antiquarious along the King's Rd, Fulham Rd in South Ken is lined with antique shops. There are also fine dealers in the buildings along Bond St. Gray's Antique Mkt is right outside Bond St tube station, many reputable dealers ther
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:37 AM

In addition to Greys Market & Antiquarius, I like Alfies off of Edgeware Road.
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Also don't forget to check out Christie's and Sothebys.. Christies on Brompton Rd has regular silver auctions on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month ..with veiwing the other days
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Some of mentioned "markets" are these open all the time or only on certain days?
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:30 PM

The best days to catch Portobello is saturday, the others are open at least 6 days a week.

Doo not forget to check out any Sunday hotel fairs or markets...usually held at London Marriott, or Rembrandt, or Royal horticultural hall...I have made some TERRIFIC buys there! If you post you email I'll send you a website that lists many fairs held in and around london.
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:19 PM

You've already gotten excellent advice. There are also some very fine antique stores on Kensington Church St. but are top $. One in particular I remember had a lot of silver.

I second Jody's suggestion to check antique fairs in hotels-usually held on weekends. Many of the dealers who exhibit are from outside London & have better prices.

The markets, like Portobello Road & Camden Passage (NOT Camden market) have more dealers/booths on certain days but they also have permanent stores open every day. There have been some other threads about this so do a text search here for London AND antiques which give days & times.

Take Intrepid's advice about getting a receipt which tells the date of anything you buy. Last I checked, anything 100 yrs old or older is duty free back to the US.
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:30 PM

There is also Bermondsey!
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Jody - my husband is not keen on putting our email on the airwaves. Would you put the website up on a post in this string? I would appreciate it!