Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London and Rome - how many days each? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-and-rome-how-many-days-each-585735/)

CandyG Jan 27th, 2006 12:47 PM

London and Rome - how many days each?

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to London and Rome. It is my first time going to both places and I'd like to see mostly historial sights. I'm going by myself, so my plans are v. flexible and also I don't sleep a lot so I always end up getting up v. early when I travel, which gives me lots of time during the day to explore.

What I'd like help is with the following:

I'm planning to fly to London on the 3rd of March, arriving on the 4th at ~7:10am. I'm thinking of spending the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th (5 days) in London. Then I'm planning on flying to Rome at ~8pm on the 8th and spending the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th exploring Rome (5 days). I'm planning on returning home on the 14th in the morning. I know, not a lot of time but it's all I can do now plus I think I'll be back later in a few years.

Some friends have told me to just do four days in London and 6 in Rome, instead of 5 days in each location. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Gavin Jan 27th, 2006 01:48 PM

I think five and five is good. You really can't go wrong. Both cities have much to offer.

Snoopy Jan 27th, 2006 01:54 PM

The "friends" who told you 4 in one and 6 in the other . . . do they know you well enough to advise you like that? Or do you think they were simply stating their own predilection to see more of Rome than London?

I liked goofing around London better than goofing around Rome largely because I feel closer to British history than Italian or Roman history.

What's your preference?

victoria_reynolds Jan 27th, 2006 02:04 PM

I spent 2 weeks in London a couple of years ago---definitely too short a time to see all I wanted to with day trips and all. I'll spend a week in Rome this next trip and that will be too short too...I do get the impression, though, that negotiating the hours of closure in Rome will make it more of a challenge to work things in...

rex Jan 27th, 2006 03:44 PM

With five days in each, you can exhaust about 0.076% and 0.082% of the possibilities in each.

Best wishes,

Rex

jules4je7 Jan 27th, 2006 05:20 PM

In my two trips to Europe, I've spent a total of 4 nights in London and 4 in Rome. If I were to go back to one of them, I'd choose Rome, but that's only because I've been to London twice (for 2 nights each on my way elsewhere), and to Rome only 1 time.

London is easier because there is no real language barrier, there is a LOT to see, and it has a much easier vibe to it -- pardon the hippie expression.

Rome, on the other hand, is very fast paced. There's a lot to see there too -- most of it close in the "old city" part of town, but the traffic and noise of the city make it much less relaxed.

I'd split the time evenly between the two, if not make it 4 & 6...but no more than that.

You could also make a list of stuff you want to see, and see how much time it will take. Rick Steves books estimate how much time it will take in each sight, and that helps figure out what you can do in a day -- so you could figure out if you need more time in one city than the other.

Don't miss the special documents room at the British Library. That place gives me the chills just thinking of all the cool stuff in there, and it's free. Everything from the Magna Carta, the stamps from the Stamp Act that sparked the American Revolution, to the napkin John Lennon wrote "Yesterday" and "Ticket to Ride" on. And much much more.

Happy travels,

Jules

Catbert Jan 27th, 2006 05:38 PM

5 and 5 sounds wonderful! Have a great time.

obxgirl Jan 27th, 2006 05:46 PM

You could easily devote 10 days to either Rome or London. Snoopy's point is a good one. If your friends know you (and both cities) well enough to steer you in one direction then take their advice.

Otherwise, go to both cities and take copiuous notes about your NEXT visit.

KathrynT Jan 27th, 2006 09:19 PM

I think that considering you'll be quite jet lagged your first day in London that I'd leave well enough alone.

Have a great trip!

CandyG Jan 29th, 2006 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone! I've decided 5 and 5 is the best choice, since I haven't seen to either city so I don't know yet which I'd rather spend more time in.

PS - any recommendations on hostels/budget hotels centrally located in each location?

Thanks again!

Gavin Jan 29th, 2006 08:32 AM

My standard operating procedure for London hotels is to use Londontown.com and if I don't see what I want for a price that I am willing to pay to use Priceline.com and take my chances there. Go to biddingfortravel.com to learn about priceline. I have only been Rome once. Venere.com is a good place to start.