Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London and Paris-8days-How Much Time in Each?

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Bob

Plan to spend 8 days between London and Paris. I've been to London before for 3 days, but not to Paris. My wife hasn't been to either. The free hotel nights are available in 3 and 5 night blocks. Therefore, should I spend 5 in Paris and 3 in London or vice versa? Which combination will utilize my time the best?

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:22 PM
xxx

we would need to know more about you to answer this question.

do you put on one sock, other sock, first shoe, second shoe?

or one sock, one shoe, other sock, second shoe?

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:56 PM
to the top

other answers?

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:09 PM
StCirq

This is SUCH a subjective question - I mean, what do YOU want,what appeals to YOU? We're only talking about 8 days, so it is a total flash in the pan, no matter what. Heck, spend 5 days in London and 3 in Paris...no, spend 3 days in London and 5 in Paris (that would be my personal preference, but why would that mean anything to you?)

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:13 PM
elvira

I'd say 5 days in Paris, 3 in London. Paris is more of a walking-around city, so you'll spend more time meandering. It could also depend on your interests: if you like the theater, then London is better for 5 days to be able to take in several plays. If you're into English history, then 5 days in London. If you're into French history and artists, 5 days in Paris.

Mar 28th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Jon

Perhaps your experiences in London will allow you to cover ground with less "stumbling around" that seems inevitable in a city you've never seen before. Therefore, the additional time may be better spent in Paris. Not that 3 days in London qualifies you as a marketable tourguide of the city, but at least you're familiar with public transportation, major sites, areas of the city, etc.

Maybe you could schedule your travel from one city to the other later in the day to help balance your time if it's a real concern.

I just did 4 days London & 4 days Paris and wish I had spent more time in Paris.

Go for 5 days Paris. She'll love it.

j.

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Melissa

You know, on my first trip ever to Europe, we spent 5 days in London and 3 in Paris. But it didn't matter because I knew I was going to return. Plus, I didn't know any French, so spending more time in an English-speaking country really helped! But like everyone else on this thread says, it's really all about what YOU want to get out of this trip.

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Fred

Definitely 5 in Paris. London is nice but Paris is.....magic. For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:31 AM
TonyBlair

Who is this Fred guy? I'm going to bloody kick his arse! We need your tourist dollars here desperately.