LONDON (AND ONE DAY IN PARIS) FOR THE FRUGAL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got back from London last night. I'll spare you the blow by blow description of what we did and what we ate as it's been done by others who are much more eloquent. Just a couple of points and general observations.

1) By all means, purchase the 7 day London Travel card upon arrival at Heathrow. The card for Zones 1 and 2 (includes buses) costs l9.80 # and the extension from Heathrow costs 2.20 #, a total of 22.00 #. Best investment ever.

2) Be prepared for tube delays, especially the District and Picadilly lines. Also, buses are very, very slow. If you have the time it's a most enjoyable way to visit London.

3) Stay at an apartment. We shopped at Sainsbury's supermarket, get some great specials, 2 for 1 as well as greatly reduced food items. We fixed breakfast at the apartment and ate most dinners there. We had about 4 lunches while sightseeing. Since we had good breakfast, lunch for me was soup and a coffee except in Paris where we had a prix fixe lunch and I felt stuffed and sloshed the rest of the day (two glasses of wine will do that for me).

4) Experiece the British theater. The ticket booth at Leicester square sells same day tickets at half price.

5) Use two for one coupons. We did the City Cruise on the Thames and the Tower of London Experience.

6) Walk, walk, walk. We were lucky we had three days of sunshine which I did not expect. I was prepared for cold and nasty weather and was pleasantly surprised.

7) We went to Paris on the Eurostar. Left Waterloo Station at 6:34 am, arrived in Paris at 10:30 (time change) and took the train back the same day at 7:19 pm, arriving in London at 9:10 pm.

8) I did a lot of shopping both in London and Paris. Not for me but for my granddaughters and my daughters. January is a good month to be in both cities. Sales are spectacular.

9) Impression of the people: Did find a grumpy soul here and there but most people were friendly and helpful both in London and Paris.

10) British Air. Flight from LAX to Heathrow was very good. We were upgraded to World Traveller Plus (I don't have a clue how that happened since we had those cheapo tickets). On the way back, I had two seats all to myself and was able to sleep a little.
WARNING: I checked in two pieces of luggage and found out upon returning home that 15 chocolate bars were stolen from one of the bags. I think somewhere in London there a sweet toothed baggage handler or security checker who could not resist those chocolates. I'm rather miffed they stole the chocolates instead of all the wonderful toys I bought at Harrods for my grandbabies. And before I get chastised for bringing all that chocolate, it was not for me. I belong to a small choir and thought it would be a nice gesture to share some goodies. The monetary value was nil, under $20.00. It's just the idea that you entrust your luggage to an airline and they have no way of controlling their employees and security people. Next time, the dirty laundry goes in check-in luggage, the rest in carry-on.

All in all, a most enjoyable time was had by the two of us. And we did not argue at all, not even once...

If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM

What a great trip you must have had. Would you please explain more on the Eurostar deal (how much, availability, where to pick it up, etc.)? Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Wsoxrebel: Eurostar tickets were purchased on line through their website: Eurostartickets.com. The leisure tickets, which have to be purchased at least 14 days in advance, cost $94.00 plus a $10.00 resrvation fee, thus a total of $104.00. The tickets were delivered to my house via priority mail from their Camarillo, CA address. I'm sure you can also order them by phone at 800 269 6044. I thought it was a good deal since I wanted to have the "chunnel" experience. It was a nice change to spend a day in Paris.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM

Treesa:

Found your post very informative. So sorry about the stolen chocolate. Please share the name of the apartment that you stayed in. Do you have a web site and cost.

Thank you.

Sandy

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
ira

Hi Treesa,

Thanks for sharing.
Sorry to hear about the chocolates.

Did you have locks or tie tapes on your baggage?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:01 AM

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. The issue has been debated here a lot, but what did YOU think of 1 day in Paris? I have been to Paris before and I think we'll go back to London next, but I can't stand to have Paris so "within reach" and not go back there, so I might consider the Eurostar trip too! Also, where was your London apartment? What shows did you see? Sorry to hear about the chocolate - you would think the baggage handlers/checkers would be able to keep their grubby hands off of things that don't belong to them, after all your candy was hardly removed for "security reasons". Anyway, glad you had such a nice trip!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Hi Treesa, Thanks for sharing!

"5) Use two for one coupons. We did the City Cruise on the Thames and the Tower of London Experience."

Where did you get the coupons? Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM

I too was curious about what you thought of doing the excursion to Paris for just one day, since that's an often asked question here. Have you been there before? All you mention about Paris is doing a lot of shopping and the sales. Does that mean you basically went to shop (nothing wrong with that if that was your purpose)? I'm curious how much you bought on sale to make up for the cost of the tickets to get there, and I only ask that because you title your post "for the frugal". Did you do any visiting of the sights in Paris as well?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM

Treesa,
Thank you for your report. I, for one, wouldn't mind hearing your "blow by blow description."
That was pretty cool getting upgraded. Too bad about your chocolates. I don't think that you can use locks on international flights anymore anyway.
What did BA allow you to carry on? We are taking BA to London in March. I usually carryon a medium size back pack with a fair amount of stuff in it. I understand that they only allow about 13# for World Traveller class. Did they strictly enforce this?
Also - what shows did you see?
Aren't the travel cards cheaper if you purchase them before you leave?
JoeG
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:47 PM

Treesa

More please!

Sandy
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM

I tried www.eurostartickets.com and it doesn't exist. Also, I checked other websites for the chunnel tickets and there were all over 200 euros. How did you manage to get such a reasonable rate?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Sandy: The apartment we stayed in is called Emperors Gate. The website is www.apartment-hotels.com. They have two properties. We stayed at 8 Knaresborough in South Kensington. Nothing plush but clean and reasonably priced. We stayed on the ground floor in their studio which had a leather sofa and a chair. It has brand new carpeting. Queen sized Murphy bed, a small table and two chairs, TV, full kitchen including oven and microwave and a small fridge. Cooking utensils and tableware. The maid cleaned every day and even did the dishes. The bathroom has a tub and shower and is quite decently sized for English standards. Telephone in your room, washer and dryer in the basement, plus use of computer (free of charge). Robert Arnold, the owner, is a delightful man. When I was worried I had no email from my daughters he told me to go ahead and make a long distance call free of charge. I declined since we had a phone card. The cost is 69 # per night but they have specials.

Ira: I have never locked my check in luggage, even before 9/11. I always carried my "valuables" on board. I never cared about anyone taking my clothes or my shoes. Never had anything stolen. We always travel very light. We did buy a carpet in Turkey some years ago but it arrived safely without being locked. It was the most valuable item I ever purchased.

Margie and Patrick: I am such a Paris aficionada that if I'm in Europe a couple of hours away, I'll find a way to make it a point to end up in Paris. A friend of mine used to live in Eragny-sur-Oise in the 70s and 80s so I used to come at least every two years to visit and stay with them. There's something about that city that gives me an instant high. I always visit Notre Dame and light a candle to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Superstition? The sales in January are great and I did buy some lovely clothes for my granddaughters (and another granddaughter on the way, expected end of March).

JoeG: BA is very strict about the 13# on carry on luggage. My carry on bag weighed 14.5# and the agent said, no problem, so I assume it's at the agent's discretion, really. Regarding the 7 day travel card: I don't know if it's cheaper to buy it here. I just felt it was more convenient to get it upon arrival. We charged it. By the way, I used the ATM to get 100# and my bank charged me $185.19 for the transaction. The dollar is surely in the toilet nowadays.

Madison: I purchased the Eurostar tickets from Eurostartickets.com, e-mail [email protected]. Telephone is 800 269 6044, fax 805 388 9897.

I'll check the two for one for Tweeter and I'll post again with the website and some additional highlights on what we did.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Tweeter: The 2 for 1 offer can be found on www.londontrainsoffers.co.uk/. It was originally posted by Dave... Thanks, Dave.

We tubed to Waterloo station to see exactly what we had to do on the day we were off to Paris since our train was leaving at 6:34 am and you have to be there 30 minutes prior to departure. It was a pretty close call since the District line starts running at 5:13 am but the Northern and Bakerloo lines (which connect to Waterloo on Embankment) start running at 5:57 am. But we made it. (My significant other is an engineer so everything has to be measured and plotted in advance). Walked all over town, probably 4 - 6 miles.

We went to Portobello market on Saturday morning (treasures and junk), bought our theater tickets at Leicester Square. We saw Fame, the Musical and enjoyed it. Pretty good seats. Cost of both tickets was 44#. We did go to Picadilly Circus where we witnessed a group of people with signs defending Michael Jackson, passing some pamphlets about his innocence and love for humanity, etc. There was some singing and dancing and moonwalking.

Walked from South Kensington along Cromwell Rd. to Harrods, past Wellington's Arch, Buckingham Palace, marched behind the Royal Guards on the Mall, the Admiralty, Whitehall and 10 Downing (blocked to tourists) and to the Westminster Pier. Took the City Cruise to the Tower of London. There was a live commentary which must have been very witty because people were laughing but I could not understand a word the guide was saying. I still tipped him. We had lunch at Wagamama (Japanese noodle place). Had a glass of plum wine and walked to Westminster Cathedral to an organ concert (obscure French composers). I was ready for some Bach but it was not to be. But the concert was free and my legs needed a rest. After all, I am a senior citizen.

Monday was spent in Paris, lunching and shopping. It was drizzling but who cares. I noticed that some gardens were in bloom, pretty pink blooms. I suppose they're having a mild winter for a change. So my honey and I each went our way, he went exploring and I went shopping. We met at the Champs
Elysees Monoprix where I bought the infamous chocolates, cookies, mustards, pates and a bottle of Curacao Bleu. I carried all that onto the metro with one connection, in the rain, standing like a squashed sardine on the train to have the chocolates stolen from me. It must be some chocolate karma.

Took the Eurostar back to London and dragged my purchases on the tube. Too tired for dinner.

Tuesday -- last day in London. Went to Harrods, opened a Harrods account and we were given two complimentary Harrods Teddy Bears, special edition. Then Alan spent the rest of the day at the British Museum while I went to Bayswater, Oxford street, Selfridges and Mark and Spencer where I bought more clothes for the girls and some nice, old fashioned underwear for me. By then my legs were getting numb from all that walking so I hopped on the double decker to Trafalgar Square and checked St. Martin's in the Field and the Crypt. St. Paul's will have to wait for my next visit as it was covered in scaffolding. I want to see it in its pristine beauty.

On Wednesday we took the Picadilly line to Heathrow without an incident. I boldly asked the agent if we could be upgraded on our flight to LAX but she said, sorry, cannot do. But, surprise, surprise... I ended up with the window and middle seats all to myself and since I'm a small person, I was able to pretzel myself into a fetal position and took a nap.

I called British Air about my stolen chocolates but could not get a human on the line so I'll fax them and see what happens. I don't want the money... I want my chocolates. But don't feel sorry for me, since right now I'm munching on a Neuhaus Belgian chocolate heart. Long live the chocoholics!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM

Treesa:

Loved your full report. Thank you very much.

Sandy
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Looks like many of us agree. I'm planning my first trip to London in April. But having been to Paris before, I can't imagine being so close and not going again just for the day. I can't say that about anywhere else that I've been in Europe or the U.S. (Maybe Venice if the price was right). My plan is to stroll the streets of the Ile St. Louis and just sit at a cafe somewhere to people watch. You don't need to DO anything in Paris. It is enough to just be there. I haven't gone to the Eurostar website yet, but Rick Steve's quotes the same Eurostar price you had. Glad you had such a great trip.

I'm traveling alone. Going to Bath for two nights (going to take the Mad Max Tour). Then London for 6 nights. I'm staying at the Vancouver Studios. Although I will probably eat dinner out most of the time, I like the idea of having the kitchenette IF I want it.

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I travel to experience the arts and differences in culture. Hope my trip is as good as yours sounded.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Treesa, actually you do NOT have to purchase tickets 14 days in advance to get the best rate. I was able to buy a Eurostar ticket at the lowest leisure rate (first class, although I could also have gotten the lowest rate second class) 48 hours before the trip, booking directly from the www.eurostar.com web site. However, you have to click on the UK, France or Belgium as your country of residence (you're not breaking any laws if you do), then book your ticket online. The address you supply can be your London hotel's address; it does not have to be the billing address for the credit card used to buy the ticket. You then need to bring the credit card used, ID, and the ticket reservation confirmation with you to Waterloo (or Paris Nord or Brussels Midi or wherever you're starting the Eurostar trip from) to pick up the ticket. You will be issued both the departing and return tickets at the same time. If you are picking up your ticket at the station, remember to be there at least 45 minutes ahead of time, not the usual 30 minutes.
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM

By the way, if you're going the opposite way, from Paris to London, do NOT use the currency exchange stand at the Paris Gare du Nord to get British currency. My mother exchanged $40 earlier today and received only 13 pounds. (yes, we advised her to use her ATM card at a bank machine instead, that train stations have lousy rates, yadda yadda yadda). Exchange rates were even worse than we had guesstimated.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Treesa,

How close was the nearest tube station from your apartment in South Kens?

Sounds like you had a super trip!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you Treesa that was fun. I went to Paris years ago by Hydroboat, whatever you call it, and then onto a train passing the White Cliffs of Dover.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

BTilke: Thanks a lot for the info. I'll keep it for future reference. Eurostar's leisure fares are very affordable.

Obxgirl: the apartment was just a couple of blocks away right between Earl's Court and Gloucester Rd.

Cigalechanta: Oh, yes, I remember taking the night train from London to Paris and vice versa. Never could sleep on the boat. It used it be one big party. It seems all the spirited young Brits were traveling at night. Now it's a 20 minute non event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -