London and discounts?

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London and discounts?

Can anyone provide some information on ways to get discounts on transportation and on admission fees to different places in London?

We are a family of 4 and I am sure there are discounts on entrance fees, bus/underground tickets, etc. I am just getting overwhelmed with information and probably missing it

Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM

What I found when doing my research is that a lot of the places we will be going to have family rates?

And there was another posting about kids free on the tube/busses.

Lastly there are 2 for 1 coupons that you can print off a website;sorry can't think of it right, but I'm sure someone else can chime in with that.

hope this helps? You can find just about anything on this site if you look. There is sooo much info here and everyone is very willing to help.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Here's some 2 for 1 entry discounts to London attractions:
www.2for1entry.co.uk
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link

I have been going through the site
How do you get your offers, are they emailed? Also how far in advance can you get them?
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM

if you want to go see a play, the half price ticket stand (tkts) is in leicester square. great shows for a great price!!!!

depending on what you want to do, there are a lot of free attractions. all churches i think with the exception of st. paul's cathedral and westminister are free. most museums and galleries unless there is a special exhibit you have to pay for if you want to see that. all parks are free and you should definitely take one day of yoru trip to relax and enjoy while the children play!

if i were you, i would go to your local bookstore, and buy a london travel book (fodor's, frommer's, let's go) and it has all the information you need. they are very handy and give you a wide variety of all the things to do in london, and usually listing prices. they contain the mainly the same information in all...

enjoy your trip! i am here right now and the weather is perfect!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM

As I understand it those 2for 1 ticket coupons have to be presented with a National train ticket..but we found several places..the Eye, Tate Britain..that had signs for 1/2 price admission with an Oyster travelcard. You can pick up a brochure at tube stations.
A lot of museums are free, kids under a certain age ride free, and if you do get theatre tickets make sure you are at the OFICIAL 1/2 price ticket booth at Leicester SQ.Even at some ticket offices prices are reduced on the day of performance.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM

While we made great use of the 2for1 tickets in April, I don't think they are available in the summer months.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Check out the London Pass at www.londonpass.com

It may or may not be worth it, depending on the ages of your party and what you'll be visiting.

How long are you staying?
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:26 PM

They have modified the 2for1 offer somewhat, but it seems to still be available until September. You pay for an adult and a child goes free, or half price off the second adult. Still not bad......

But you need the rail ticket or travelcard to use the coupon.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I'm looking now as I've found some nice offers that will probably negate our need for a London Pass. Tower of London is buy 1 get 2nd at half price. For a group of 4, there are discounted train rides to places like Windsor/Eton. There are some hop on/hop off cruise tours that are 2 for 1. I know we'll be taking advantage of these offers myself and am glad they extended the offers to the end of September.

Particularly since it's currently $1.84 per £1.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

mcnyc
We will be staying 7 nights

These are the places we are currently planning on going to
Kensington Palace
Tower of London
Hampton court
Windsor Castle
Wetminster Abbey
War rooms
Royal Mews

We were thinking of going to the transport museum but it seems it will be closed until later in 2007

I looked at the London Pass - thanks and will compare it to the family passes that each of these locations offer to see which will out best

As to the 2for1 offers we will have a travelcard for the tube as that is probably the best way to get around
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM

For 7 days, the London Pass might be a good buy for you, but again, it depends on the activities you've got in mind.

For us, the 2 for 1 will suffice. We're there only 3 days and plan on only historical sites like the Tower of London, Hampton Court (if there's time) and Windsor Castle. And maybe a hop-on/hop-off boat. But all except for the Tower of London and Windsor Castle are included in the 2 for 1, so this is a great deal for me.

Remember, there are museums which are free on their own, so check out each museum's website to make sure you don't get ripped off with the London Pass!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Maybe substitute St Paul's for Westminster Abbey. My daughter loved St Paul's but was indifferent to Westminster. It seems all children like to climb the stairs to the top. Something like 500 I think! She also was not fond of the British Museum and the V&A. She would have liked the Natural History museum better. The Tower of London was also a favorite for my daughter.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Could someone who has used the 2 for 1 website please enlighten me. The way it reads to me, I need to have a train ticket in hand. I must have missed where it said an "Oyster card" can be used to qualify. Is a travelcard acceptable?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM

Look at the site and go to the FAQ section, it outlines all the rules and regs and which cards you can use. You can use SOME oyster and travel cards.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:48 AM

JoMark, Nona is right, here is the info for the 2for1 and the Oyster:

You are able to use Oyster cards that are issued in conjunction with: Freedom passes or Travelcards - weekly, monthly or yearly. However your Oyster card MUST be accompanied by your Record Card that proves the purchase of a Travelcard which is valid for the date of your visit.
Please note that Oyster Pre-Pay, and Single/Return tickets bought for travel by London Underground/tube only are NOT valid for use with this offer.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Jody, do you know if the half price for the Eye (with oyster) was for a limited time? Or is it an on-going promotion?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I just tried to print out a 2 for 1 voucher for London Tower. The system allowed me to select a June date, but when I printed the voucher and terms and conditions I noticed that the offer validity was only 31st May 2006. It's anyone's guess as to whether the voucher would be accepted, probably not
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM

I don't know if the 2 for 1 offer is still open but I used it a couple of months ago for the Tower of London. We did show the ticketing person our Oyster pre-paid cards and the person accepted it.

Also, you can JOIN the Historic Royal Palaces for 69 pounds for the year for your family - Gets you into Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace and 2 others you have not listed. I belong myself but I live in London. I haven't added it up but I feel certain it will save you money if you are going to all three of these sites. You can join at the ticket counter or apparently online.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM

JoMark,

They have updated the Terms and Conditions section on the 2for1 site today, and it now says that the expiry date is September 30th. As long as you have a travelcard or other train ticket, you shouldn't have a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -