Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Amsterdam Paris by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-amsterdam-paris-by-train-960745/)

AMYWISS Dec 29th, 2012 05:10 PM

London Amsterdam Paris by train

What is my best option for train travel between these three cities?
Where is the best option yo purchase them?

Suki Dec 29th, 2012 07:03 PM

www.eurostar.com

Just book as far out as you can as the fares are much lower then.

You can fly London to Amsterdam for about 30 pounds on EasyJet if you have any interest in that.

AMYWISS Dec 29th, 2012 07:14 PM

Thanks Sukiyaki will check into that.

AMYWISS Dec 29th, 2012 07:15 PM

I'm so sorry. I hate auto spell correct Suki.

justineparis Dec 29th, 2012 10:18 PM

Eurostar to Paris, then Thalys to Amsterdam. Buy as soon as your dates are set and tickets are released for sale ( between 90-120 days from date).
I paid about 35 euros for train Amsterdam to Paris this summer, and Eurstar was about 50, but this is with advance buy, the longer you wait the prices NEVER go down but creep up as trains fill.

justineparis Dec 29th, 2012 10:22 PM

PS I am a big fan of using budget airlines, ( used them twice this summer and several times before) but those three cities are so well connected by rail, and journeys are short , and most importantly, city center to city center( so no extra cost to get in and out from airports) that you should stick to trains in this case. Its three hours or so from Amsterdam to Paris and 2.5 hours by Eurostar between PAris and London.

PatrickLondon Dec 29th, 2012 11:07 PM

It's a bit of a toss-up as regards flying between London and Amsterdam. Depending on exactly where in London you are, and how easy it is to get to St Pancras for the Eurostar, or whichever airport you choose, you might save an hour or so's travelling time - or you might not. It might be cheaper to fly than to book trains through Eurostar (via Brussels) - depending on what time of day you want to fly. Bear in mind the advertised plane fare might not include taxes and surcharges for luggage, and so on. For flights, try www.skyscanner.net

Between London and Paris, no contest. Train every time.

For trains between Amsterdam and Paris, you could try
www.ns.nl (Dutch railways) or www.voyages-sncf.com/

justineparis Dec 30th, 2012 12:17 AM

So, wondering have you booked your international flights yet? It seems booking to fly into London and out of Amsterdam might end up easiest and cheapest for inter Europeon travel, Eurostar to Paris then Thalys to Amsterdam.
But, if you are flying into London and want to fly out of Paris then I guess Patrick has a point.

Man_in_seat_61 Dec 30th, 2012 10:36 AM

London to Amsterdam there are two options:

Option 1 is by high-speed train in as little as 4 hours 37 min (compared to about 4 hours centre to centre by air), using Eurostar to Brussels in 1 hour 55 then either Thalys Brussels-Amsterdam in another 1 hour 49, or the new Fyra train Brussels-Amsterdam in 2 hours.

You cannot currently book both trains together at Eurostar.com, but can easily do so as one transaction at the Belgian railways international site www.b-Europe.com and print your own tickets.

Option 2 is Dutch Flyer train & ferry. Take the 19:32 train from London Liverpool Street station to Harwich ferry terminal, board the Stena Line super ferry around 9pm and settle into your private cabin with shower & toilet, free WiFi and satellite TV, and perhaps go for a late dinner in the ship's restaurant. She arrives Hiek van Holland 07:45 next morning, a train will be waiting outside the ferry terminal exit for Rotterdam with connecting double-decker InterCity train for Amsterdam arriving 09:48.

Price for this is from £39 per person, plus the cost of a cabin which starts at £30 for a single-berth or £43 per cabin not person for a 2-berth, deluxe cabins with complimentary minibar and double beds also available. The price covers train plus ferry plus train all on one ticket.

Www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm has info and photos, book the Dutch Flyer at www.dutchflyer.co.uk

Amsterdam to Paris takes just 3 hours 9 minutes on Thalys, from €35 at www.thalys.com

Oh, and Paris-London starts at £39 with www.eurostar.com of course.

justineparis Dec 30th, 2012 11:40 AM

So london to Paris may price out at 48 euros ( I converted the GBPS)and then from Paris to Amsterdam it will cost 35 euros,, and time will be 3 hours plus 2.5 hours, so five hours of journey and total cost of 83 euros.
City center to city centers.

Looks like flying open jaw into Amsterdam or London and pivoting through Paris is the best way to do it.

Man_in_seat_61 Jan 1st, 2013 11:11 AM

No, not five hours, as you wouldn't do London-Amsterdam via Paris, you'd go via Brussels, UNLESS stopping off in Paris to see it.

And remember those are 'from' prices.

AMYWISS Jan 1st, 2013 05:35 PM

Thanks all - I will be checking these out and I am sure I will be back for more. THANKS.