Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London airports (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-airports-312986/)

sirod May 2nd, 2003 09:32 AM

London airports

Hi. coul someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of the various airports in London- Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead. I have been to Heathrow so know it is the main one, but what about the others?
There are good fares from France to some of these other airports but wneed to know if they are very distant and inconvenient.Which of the other ones is the best?

flanneruk May 2nd, 2003 09:51 AM

In this, as in everything in life, nothing is best. You have to choose what's best for you.

Heathrow is probably the best connected airport in the world, closest of these four to the centre, generally crowded, and to the west of London
Gatwick is about the fifth busiest international airport in the world, south, rather smaller, has lousy road and excelent rail connections with the centre, and has a few discount airlines operating out of it as well as the usual international gang. It's also crowded.
Stansted, in the north-east, is absolutely perfect for car drivers in NE London, and for anyone wanting cheap flights. It's not good for interline connections: it's for point-to-point flights to Europe. It's OK for trains into London
Luton, due North, is a less convenient version of Stansted. Actually, it's the best located of the four to drive to the 95% of Britain's surface that's not London.
However all do have frequent rail and road connections to London and each other.

elaine May 2nd, 2003 11:44 AM

Hi
I'm assuming you're staying in central London:

From Heathrow you have two transportaton options (Not counting taxis)
you can take the H. Express train to Paddington Station.

The Tube (Underground) from Heathrow takes you into London on the Piccadilly line. Not recommended if your luggage is heavy, as you?ll be climbing stairs and walking long corridors with the Underground system, and you?ll still need to walk to your hotel from the tube stop. During weekday hours trains are crowded and having your luggage with ou can be awkward. If you are staying anywhere near Paddington, take the Express.
For more info on the Express, go to www.heathrowexpress.co.uk

I think there's also an Airbus from H. to Victoria STation in London, but I don't know much about it.

The Gatwick Express, is a train that goes from the airport to Victoria station in about 30 minutes and is the quickest route to the city. There is also a bus, Jetlink 777 that runs from Gatwick to Victoria Coach Station, stops running each night about 9pm, makes intermediary stops.

If there are three or more of you traveling, definitely take a cab from Gatwick directly to your hotel?it is approximately a ?break even? when compared to the Gatwick Express.

www.a2bairports.com/gatwick.shtml

London City Airport (Stanstead) information: www.londoncityairport
The Stanstead Skytrain runs every half hour between the airport and Liverpool Street station. There is also a Jetlink 777 bus from Stanstead to Victoria Coach Station I think.

mclaurie May 2nd, 2003 12:00 PM

Sirod, from answering your post on Nice, I'll just say any of the London airports are OK to get in and out of London. If you're not actually going to London but just changing planes to come back to the US, it is a hassle to get from one airport to the other. Just be sure to leave yourself enough time between flights. There is no train service (to my knowledge) between any of the airports, only bus. The bus between Gatwick & Heathrow should take about an hour but in traffic can take 3!

This is not to say you shouldn't take advantage of good easyjet fares. Just plan ahead. Also be aware the low cost airlines are very strict about weight of luggage & charge heavy penalties if your bags are overweight. Check out the fine print.

Luv2Travel May 2nd, 2003 01:11 PM

Elaine:
I will be flying out of Stanstead in September. Where is Liverpool St.? I am searching my London map and don't see it. What is it near? Just an FYI we will be staying in the Lancaster Gate area. Thanks for any input. And sorry to piggy back on someone elses post.

starspinners May 2nd, 2003 01:32 PM

Luv2travel...look at your Tube map, follow the Central Line east from Lancaster Gate and your will see the Liverpool Street Tube/Mainline Rail Station.

Luv2Travel May 3rd, 2003 04:20 AM

Starspinners:
Thanks, found it!!!

Heimdall May 3rd, 2003 06:43 AM

Just let me correct something toward the end of Elaine's reply. London City Airport and Stansted are two different places. London City Airport is located along the river in the East End of London, while Stansted is north of London, just off the M11 motorway.

Luv2Travel May 3rd, 2003 10:04 AM

Well, now I am confused. Was the Liverpool station to Luton (city airprot, I believe) or did it go to Stansted? Can someone clarfiy?

Heimdall May 3rd, 2003 02:23 PM

The directions on catching the train from Liverpool Street station to Stansted were okay, but you won't get any info about Stansted on the www.londoncityairport website. I just pointed this out so that anyone reading this thread wouldn't think they were the same airport. Sorry if I confused you even more.