London airport /hotel help

May 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

London airport /hotel help

We land at Stanstead late at night (just before midnight on a flight from Rome) August 28th. We then fly home August 30th from Gatwick at noon. So I need a hotel in London for 2 nights (just barely) and am trying to figure out what area is easiest to stay in considering these two airports and travel from Stanstead to hotel and then hotel to Gatwick. Thank you in advance!
May 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I suggest that you stay in the area around Vistoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station. There are three bus lines (Terravision, National Express, and easyBus) that have service from Stansted to Victoria. For details, go here: http://tinyurl.com/qrbro. Take a Southern train (cheaper than the Gatwick Express) from Victoria to Gatwick.
May 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM

The problem as I see it is getting into London. The last NXec train stops at 12:30 with the next one at 5:25 or so that morning. Others might help on other means of transport and hotel. Knowing your budget would help.
May 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM

National Express coaches run 24/7 between Stansted and Victoria. The last easyBus leaves Stansted at 01:05.
May 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I would be surprised if there were no buses to town after that ryanair flight. For hotels your best deals will be with Priceline, name your own price.
May 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM

And finally, just for the record, the last Terravision coach leaves Stansted at 01:00. Since National Express runs 24/7, you need not be concerned if your plane is late.
May 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

You guys are awesome. So Victoria station area sounds about where I need to be. Does anyone have any hotels that are low in price but still decent that they would recommend in this area? I like having breakfast included.
May 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM

check out www.londontown.com, but priceline, or even look at www.hotwire.com, will beat those prices and just get breakfast separately or elsewhere.
May 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM

For suggested B&Bs near Victoria, see this page: http://tinyurl.com/p4e7sz. I'll add one more: www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk.
May 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
yk

No hotel suggestions, but make sure you alert the hotel (or B&B) about your late arrival. Some hotels may consider you a no-show and cancel your reservation if you don't arrive by X hour. And since you need 2 nights of lodging, you don't want to be without a place to stay for 2 nights.

Also beware of B&Bs with your late arrival. Some may not have their front desk open that late. Check before you book. I think you'll better off sticking with large(r) hotels.