Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-accommodations-129679/)

ronni Jun 12th, 2001 01:00 PM

London accommodations

We will be in London for 6 days. I have reservations at the Morgan, however, I have found enticing prices at the Mayfair Intercontinental Hotel, Blooms Town House, London Elizabeth, and the Royal Lancaster. <BR>I think the Morgan will be wonderful, but after traveling for 12 days, maybe we'll want our beds turned down and more space. Your opinions and comments are appreciated.

Thyra Jun 12th, 2001 02:32 PM

Did you happen to check out the Rants and Raves section of Fodor's. I am planning on booking us in the London Elizabeth based on their Website and the comments in Rants and Raves... plus I loke to be near Hyde park so I can run in the am. Sorry I can't comment on the other hotels you listed, but if you think you'd like to treat yourself to a hotel with more amenities (the Morgan) then go for it, we often splurge the last night or so of a long trip.

anne Jun 12th, 2001 02:33 PM

I can only comment on the Mayfair Intercontinental. It's a well run luxury hotel with a charming lobby. I find the rooms really small for what you pay, and for me that's been a deal killer. Nice piano bar at night, and a restaurant for breakfast - if memory serves, about 17 pounds for a full breakfast. You can go a few blocks away and get a local breakfast for about 3 or 4 pounds near Berkeley square. It's well located (about 1-1/2 blocks from the green park tube stop and Park Lane/Picadilly). I have preferred the Athenaeum in the neighborhood as I've gotten a similar corporate rate. It's about 6 blocks down Park Lane towards Hyde Park.

mari Jun 12th, 2001 03:24 PM

ronni-- <BR> <BR>i stayed at the london elizabeth abt 2 weeks ago. loved it bc 1) the room was in the part of the bldg that curved out, giving us views to hyde park, and 2) location. it's across the street from the park, looking onto the fountains and the beginning of the serpentine lake. the openness and tranquility of hyde park were one of our best memories of london. hotel was also one of the stops on the big bus tour, which i recommend and which saves a lot of money getting ard when you do touristy things like tower of london, and abt a block from the tube station. near pubs etc. hotel was stuffed w/ americans apptly enjoying themselves, from the way people seemed to linger over the cold but adequate bkfst. looking into other rooms, however, i cd see they were tiny in comparison w/ my bulging one. that's my 2 cents!

Laura Jun 26th, 2001 07:01 PM

I was reading your comments and as I am trying to decide betweena suite at teh London ELizabeth versus a room at Dukes Hotel, if anyone could compare these two hotels for me?<BR>Thanks!

Kathy Jun 26th, 2001 07:38 PM

Stayed at the Blooms Hotel on Montague St. last year. Bed was big and comfortable but room was very cramped with two persons and luggage. We paid 205 pounds/night at that time. Would probably not revisit it but liked the location (around corner from British Museum.)

Nancy Jun 27th, 2001 08:52 AM

Stayed at the Royal Garden (adjacent to Kensington Gardens) in May. Spacious, beautifully furnished rooms with marble baths, extremely knowledgable and attentive staff, exercise room/fitness center on premises, beautiful view from rooms of Kensington Palace and the surrounding gardens. Easily accessible to other parts of the city by foot, by bus (the "hop on, hop off" tourist bus as well as regular city buses stop directly across the street), or by tube (station at end of block). We walked practically everywhere though--it took about 15 minutes to get to Harrods and other Knightsbridge locations, and another 10 minutes or so to walk to Piccadilly and other areas immediately east of Hyde Park. The hotel has a web site--www.royalgardenhotel.co.uk--where you can see pictures of the rooms and get a price list. We loved our stay at the Royal Garden and would definitely book there again!

Tony Jun 30th, 2001 03:10 PM

Just got back from a week at the Mayfair Intercontinental. Very nice hotel conveniently located in heart of Mayfair, which is the heart of London. Had a very large room with a King size bed. Service was excellent, very attentive without being stuffy. Concierge was most helpful. Great gourmet restaurant, a simpler cafe for breakfast and lunch, and a pub which also had great lunches. Walking distance to Buckingham Palace. Tube stop is immediately adjacent. We even walked back from the theatre one night. Hope that helps.

s.fowler Jun 30th, 2001 03:26 PM

I've seen the Morgan recommended here and walked past it when in London earlier this month. It looks fine. BUT The Mayfair Intercontinental is part of a major upscale hotel chain. You decide.

ronni Jul 8th, 2001 03:48 PM

Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful. <BR>I think we will be staying at one of the Intercontinental Hotels - seems like a nice way to end what I know will be a wonderful trip. <BR>