Search

London: absolute "can't miss" restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:57 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London: absolute "can't miss" restaurants

Which restaurants would you put in that category? Just one restriction: I don't want anyplace that serves weird food such as intestines, spleen, other "inards."

PS Ira: Please don't tell me to do a search.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:17 AM

J SHEEKEY...28-32 St. Martin's Ct. WC2 (Leicester Sq. tube) 020-7240-2565
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Did you do a text search? Restaurants London should turn up quite a bit of stuff.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

HI
I recommend the Ivy, and Rules

lots of comments elsewhere here at fodors.com under Restaurants

also look at www.squaremeal.co.uk
and timeout.com
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Has anyone tried Jamie Oliver's Restaurant 15?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:17 PM
ira

Hi DMG,

I wouldn't suggest that you do a search. After all, this is a question that has never been asked before. Besides, budman beat me to it.

For proper English fare, in a proper English atmosphere - Simpson's in the Strand.

All the other suggestions you will get are from foodie fashionistas who just follow the latest fads introduced by foreigners.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:52 PM

For a nice lunchtime respite, try Cafe in the Crypt. It is underneath St. Martin-in-the-Field Church and close to Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden. It is cafeteria style, but it is a nice place to stop for something quick and easy.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Mela is great for Indian - near Leiceter Square. Black & Blue is good too - the prawn dish is really great. It is in S. Kensington. near the Glouchester Tube station...Just thought I might add those in case they are not listed in your search.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:54 AM

Ira, I lived in London for 9 years, and never heard of a local going to Simpson's; it's widely thought of to be a very touristy place (pardon the expression; but that's the only thing I can say about it). Try the newly refurbished Savoy Grill instead, for a very English experience.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:08 AM

Also check out Chowhound.com international section A great place woud be Wagamama Japaneese noodle house they are very popular.www.wagamama.com and Indian food in London is very In For great Indian food try Zaika. London Zagat guide or timeout guide London .when you arrive some place have mini menu cards from all the restaurants on them in your hotels.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:20 AM

Itsu is great for sushi. Pasha on Gloucester Road for Moroccan. The Ivy is great but have to book months in advance. La Mancha on Putney High Str is great for tapas. Chutney Mary on Kings Road for Indian.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:29 AM

DMG my answer would depend on whether you're looking for blow-out experiences in only the very top restaurants with price tags to match, recommendations for favourites amongst the large number of excellent mid range (price wise) places throughout London or ideas for more inexpensive places which people have nonetheless had excellent meals in?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM

DMG,

I agree with the Simpsons recommendation. While it may have a heavy tourist presence, Simpson's is NOT simply a tourist place.

I disagree, however, that any other recommendation is simply from a "food fashionista." I realize Gordon Ramsay's arrival on the London dining scene is relatively recent, but his impact is undeniable. Especially, his handling of English cuisine.

Of course, there are Le Gavroche, Le Caprice, La Poule au Pot, Veeraswamy, Sweetings, The Connaught. I am offering these since you did not limit your dining choices to any particular cuisine, other than your bar against "weird food,"

Good luck!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Hi. 2 great London restaurants (don't know if they would be considered "can't miss&quot I've enjoyed recently are The Bluebird in Chelsea and OXO on the South Bank. The OXO has great views.

Good luck
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM
DMG
Original Poster

nmguy: Thanks. La Poule au Pot may be one of the "can't miss" places we are looking for. Harden's and London Dining both rate it highly.

We're still open for additional suggestions for other evenings.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:42 AM

We had a great Indian meal at Vama in Chelsea...
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Your welcome!

I would encourage you to consider Gordon Ramsay's at Claridge's. I don't know your tastes, obviously, but I don't think you would be disappointed.

On top of the food, your venue (Claridge's) is unique. Liveried footmen, art deco surroundings, make Claridge's one of those places that evoke another era. If your looking for an overall experience, I highly recommend this choice. Stop in for drinks at The Bar, then move to the Restaurant for dinner. If anyone in your group is into cigars, they can enjoy a smoke in The Macanudo Fumoir! Or, take your after dinner aperatif in the Reading Room. So civilized!