Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-883453/)

bjc280 Mar 24th, 2011 12:01 PM

London

Hello- I will be in London for a few days (after my spain holiday)- I have been to London a few time but just saw the city- now i want to do a day trip- any ideas? tips? suggestions? What about the windsor castel? how would I get there?

bachslunch Mar 24th, 2011 12:32 PM

There are scads of day trips one can take from London. Have been to both Oxford and Cambridge and liked both very much (but check opening schedules for the specific colleges you want to see before choosing a day, as some or even all are closed at certain times of the year).

One can also choose other destinations (Windsor being one) such as Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Stonehenge, Avebury, Hampton Court, York, Brighton, Kew, Greenwich, and Canterbury. Most can be reached via train or bus from London. Even Paris is a possibility, though there's much more than a day's worth of stuff to see there.

I'd research these and other options to see what appeals to you most.

Sue878 Mar 24th, 2011 12:36 PM

Windsor Castle is a nice day trip. You can take a train from Paddington Station to Windsor or Bath.

Hampden Court is another nice trip. We also took the train down to Portsmouth for the day.

janisj Mar 24th, 2011 12:44 PM

That should be <i><u>Hampton</u> Court</i>

For Windsor -- if you take the train from Paddington, you change at Slough. If you take the train from Waterloo it takes you to Windsor w/o changes. The two trains drop you at different stations in the town, but both are near the Castle

You have tons of choices of day trips-- mostly depends on what interests you.

Sue878 Mar 24th, 2011 01:35 PM

oops sorry Janis

bjc280 Mar 30th, 2011 09:39 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies- If I go to Windsor Castle is there a "tour bus" that drops you infront - are there other things beside the castle?

I have been to stonehedge (love) and I spent a few days in Paris last year (loved)

JoeCal Mar 30th, 2011 09:50 AM

The Castle is a short walk from the train station - no need to take a tour bus. You could also go to Eton and the towns of Windsor and Eton are quite lovely to stroll around in too (shop, stroll, eat etc.. I forget all the churches and stuff - but Eton is quite a famous school - like Oxford and Cambridge and so on - loads of history).

Windsor/Eton is a good choice for a full day venture out of London and not too expensive to get there.

mohun Mar 30th, 2011 10:23 AM

Another easy day trip is on the Thames to Greenwich. You can set your watch at the center of all time for the western world, see how long an inch, a foot and a yard really are (metrics are not for everybody--yet) and visit a small, but fascinating naval museum and scientific observatory. Assuming the weather is decent, trips on the rivers in European cities are a relaxing, non-walking diversion, and the Thames is a place along which a lot of history was made.

arundex Mar 30th, 2011 10:59 AM

If you are arriving to Terminal 5 in Heathrow airport, It will be far more easy for you to visit Windsor as it is nearby terminal 5. Also, you can plan a trip to Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and Richmond Park if you arriving at terminal 5. You can check http://www.heathrowterminal5.com/information/maps/ for other locations nearby, if you arriving at terminal 5.

RM67 Mar 30th, 2011 11:50 AM

''Another easy day trip is on the Thames to Greenwich. You can set your watch at the center of all time for the western world, see how long an inch, a foot and a yard really are (metrics are not for everybody--yet) and visit a small, but fascinating naval museum and scientific observatory. Assuming the weather is decent, trips on the rivers in European cities are a relaxing, non-walking diversion, and the Thames is a place along which a lot of history was made.''

This is a great, concise summary of a very interesting area. It should go into the next Fodors London guide verbatim.

bjc280 Mar 31st, 2011 11:35 AM

thank you everyone!