Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-659024/)

Slims Nov 15th, 2006 01:13 PM

London

How is London between Christmas and New Year's? I am planning my first trip ever to London with my spouse and teenage children. Your suggestions (things to do and places to see -- despite the low temps) would be most useful..

alanRow Nov 15th, 2006 01:40 PM

If you do a search for "Christmas" & select UK you'll find the odd one or ten previous posts on Christmas in London.

BTW a title of "Christmas / NY in London would have been a little less vague than "London" as a title

carioca4ed Nov 15th, 2006 01:46 PM

You would have to make sure that if there is a specific thing that you definitely want to see in London,that they are open as some places may close,but usually only for a day or two....It would be a really exciting time to visit...Because the "January Sales"sometimes will start on Boxing Day(December 26th).....This is usually because stores want to get in there first,so that people will part with their money to them,rather than anybody else......The big museums such as British Museum,etc.,will be open......The thing that I think that you will absolutely love is the walk from St.Paul's Cathedral to the Tate Modern......You have to cross the Millenium Bridge ......It is a terrific view......I have been in London a lot at this time of year...The wet weather did not really spoil my experience....You see there is thousands of buildings,many museums,etc...I once walked to the Bank of England to see a famous church nearby...(St.Mary Woolnoth....Where the writer of the hymn "Amazing Grace"was once the Reverend here)....It did not matter to me that it was raining heavily....Just wanted to see the place......My Top Ten of London sights?
1.British Museum
2.Sir John Soanes Museum
3.Harrods
4.London Eye
5.St.Pauls
6.Victoria and Albert Museum
7.St.Mary Woolnoth(not everybody's thing...I love old churches)
8.Leicester Square
9.Design Museum
10.Camden Market.

janisj Nov 15th, 2006 01:50 PM

I agree w/ alanRow -- "London" is sooooo vague, but since this is your very first post, we need to cut you some slack :)

Welcome to Fodors. This is a great resource, but you need to work w/ us a bit here.

What sorts of things do you enjoy? It isn't very useful us telling you the about all te museums if your family loathes museum.

Also, What are your actual dates? Christmas Day is a special case and you need to plan far ahead. Boxing Day too - though less so.

So tell us a bit about what you like to do and when you are in the city, and we can give you a TON of suggestions.

StephCar Nov 15th, 2006 02:01 PM

I went to Harrod's over Christmas one year. I know it is a touristy spot but over the holidays it is really decked out and worth seeing. And I actually got some great deals and Xmas gifts.

flanneruk Nov 15th, 2006 10:35 PM

Slims says slims will be in London between Christmas and New Year. Harrods has no festive decorations when it reopens after Christmas.

True its mad owner's bizarre taste and delusions provide sights you won't find in any shop run by managers in full possession of their faculties. But the Christmas stuff gets stripped out on Christmas Eve.

Mucky Nov 15th, 2006 10:50 PM

I agree with Flanner, Christmas deco's are often pulled christmas eve.

I Remember standing in ASDA (wallmart) here in Cardiff last year and there was a guy up a ladder who was pulling them down whilst getting in the way of the customers queueing up to pay.

They had the Easter eggs up by boxing day. Sad representation of shops here in UK.
I suspect London won't be much different.

However, the museums available in London are fantastic, only last week I manged to get to the Imperial War museum, free entry and very very interesting.
Muck

W9London Nov 16th, 2006 02:03 AM

I personally like the week between Christmas and New Year in London. Many people go on holidays, so tubes and buses are less crowded during the rush hour. The only place you should avoid is Oxford Street, as January sales seem to be starting earlier every year.

Theatres put on pantos and the seasonal perennial like the Nutcracker. Somerset House and Natural History Museum have ice skating rinks. You can explore some of the sights outside of London--Hampton Court etc.

I've already commented on lack of public transportation on Christmas day.

We seem to be having a relatively mild weather so far, and it never gets freezing cold as in NY or Boston or DC. It does get dark early (say, 4:30).

Slims Nov 16th, 2006 10:34 AM

As janisj correctly surmised, this is my first post here. Thank you for all the useful pointers. In reply to janisj in particular, I should clarify that we will be in London from December 24th through the 31st of December.

Our interests include general sight-seeing including Christmas decorations (weather permitting!), major historical and literary places -- including the British Museum, enjoying a play and sampling some curry houses!

thit_cho Nov 16th, 2006 10:52 AM

London is great around the holidays. Two (touristy) restaurants, both of which are traditional and may feel Christmas-y, are Rules and Simpsons-in-the-Strand (both very close to Covent Garden). I have been to both, although not to Simpsons in nearly 15 years (but I think its over 100 years old and not likely to change).

Have a great trip.

Michael

KayF Nov 16th, 2006 10:55 AM

Sorry to hijack the post but I was horrified to read that Christmas decorations in London will be gone by Christmas Eve! I thought they'd be up for weeks after Christmas, silly me. This is our first ever cold Christmas so it will be special for us being in this part of the world.

Obviously Harrods does the decorations, is there anywhere else that is really special, either a street that has good decorations or another store? We won't have much time if they are gone on 24 Dec so will aim to see the best! Any suggestions?
Thanks, Kay

janisj Nov 16th, 2006 11:04 AM

Are you staying in a full service hotel (w/ restaurant, etc) ?

As I mentioned, Christmas Day takes some definite planning. There is no public transport (buses/tube/very few taxis). So what you do that day should be w/i walking distance of your hotel. It is a great time to walk around a nearly traffic free London.

None of the attractions will be open and the vast majority of restaurants are closed. There are some restaurants - but mostly ethnic places. So if your hotel has a restaurant you may want to just eat there.

You are arriving Christmas Eve, so you probably won't be doing too much that day. Boxing Day (Dec 26) is another special case. There will be transport, but you need to check the websites of any attractions you plan on visiting - Many will be closed on Boxing Day. As for shopping on Boxing Day - some places will be closed and some will be open and packed w/ the post-Christmas sales starting.

janisj Nov 16th, 2006 11:12 AM

Oh - my post was addressing the OP. Di not see KayF's.

<b>KayF:</b> What day do you arrive? I would not go <b>anywhere near</b> Harrod's the few days before Christmas. It is an absolute zoo! In fact they often have to close the Harrod's exit from the tube because of unsafe crowd levels.

The quality of street decorations vary every year I'd just wait until they are all up and then ask teh Londoners on here where to go. Migh be Regent Street or someplace else.

fun4all4 Nov 16th, 2006 11:19 AM

Hi slims and welcome to Fodor's.

I have attached a link to my trip report from Christmas through New Years of this past year. We traveled with our then 11 and 14 year old boys.

I hope the report is helpful and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. I did find that mixing the &quot;must see&quot; tourist sites with a few things based on our particular interests was great (ie. rock n'roll tour and soccer/football match). The pantomime was hilarious and we all loved it.

http://tinyurl.com/lqkpa

Hope this helps. Have fun! :-)

KayF Nov 16th, 2006 11:32 AM

To JanisJ - we arrive on Saturday 23 Dec but want to go to Borough Market on Sat as the food there is so great. So that leaves Sat night and Sunday to see the decorations. Sounds like the main streets like Regent and Oxford might be good? I will try and remember to post and ask the Londoners closer to Christmas.
thanks
Kay

janisj Nov 16th, 2006 11:48 AM

KayF: Just a hint. The only place in London that might be even more &quot;zoo-ish&quot; than Harrod's in the run up to Christmas -- is Oxford Street. It will be mayhem (and that isn't even a tiny exaggeration). There are wide pavements (sidewalks) and every single inch will be filled by shoppers.

But you could head there to see the lights well after the stores are closed for the night.

flanneruk Nov 16th, 2006 11:49 AM

KayF:

Where on earth did you read that London's Xmas decos come down on Xmas Eve? If it was in a web chatroom, I'd stop using it if I were you. If you thought you read it here, you didn't.

Harrods' decorations do - as do the professionally managed shops' - because they move more or less straight into Sale, and they need all the space they can find for red and white &quot;99% off&quot; posters.

No-one else does. Decorations in the street and in our houses stay up till Epiphany. Are there really places in the English-speaking world who keep them going after Twelfth Night? Cultural vandalism!!

Main public displays include Oxford St, Regent St, Trafalgar Sq, Bond St and the arcades off Piccadilly. Call me an old Eeyore, but I wouldn't build my hopes too high. London leads the world in choral singing, theatre and Yuletide public drunkenness. But even Blackpool beats us hollow when it comes to bright lights.

ben_haines Nov 16th, 2006 12:09 PM

CHRISTMAS IN LONDON
GENERAL
These notes start with direct quotations of points made by early-planning Americans in a Fodors correspondence in July 2006, and add from my experience. The town closes up tight during the holidays.
A correspondent wrote: When I lived in London, I took care to be away at Christmas. I went to Paris and Rome, both of which remain open for the holidays (Rome can be tough on Christmas Eve, though). Another: I could not agree more. I would rather be just about anywhere else. I find it depressing as so many people vacate. I've been home a few times but I always plan to go away for Christmas week.

Another wrote: If I were only going for two or three days, I'd think twice about including Christmas and Boxing Day, since so many things are closed. But we loved those two days in our ten day stay. It was so wonderful to experience old London with very quiet streets.
CHURCH
The lessons and carols service at Westminster Abbey on Christmas Eve. If I remember correctly the service started at 4. We got in line at 3, but judging by the length of the line, many people had been there about an hour earlier. The Abbey was very cold -- we wore our heavy coats during the whole service. The music was beautiful! We were sitting in Poet's Corner, and couldn't see much, but the service started with a lone boy's voice singing Silent Night, which remains one of my very favorite travel memories.
The lights on Regent Street are magical.

COFFEE.
Probably our worst experience was looking for coffee on Christmas morning. Finally I passed a young couple carrying coffee cups and although they didn't speak English (Russian, I think), managed to figure out where they got it. It was from a little Spar (sort of a bad interpretation of a 7-11). The worst coffee I ever drank, but at least it was coffee.
DAY TRIP on Boxing Day
Day trip to Bath or to a small and pretty town like Faversham in Kent or Marlow in Buckinghamshire, or even to Paris if you're feeling especially ambitious.
A daytrip on Boxing Day may be a good idea. I guess it would depend where you went and if you made sure wherever you were going was open - it isn't just London that is shut down for Boxing Day as it is a national holiday. There are probably more things open in London, but, again, it depends what you were thinking of as an alternative.
I thought to send my husband on an Evan/Evans Boxing Day tour to Warwick Castle, as my daughter and I need to collect a friend who will be flying into Heathrow mid-day.
LIGHT.
It gets dark by 4:30 p.m. and is not really light in the morning till 8 a.m. or so. That can affect what you plan on doing during the day.
The lights on Regent Street are magical.

MEALS.
It is usually best and easiest to simply have Christmas lunch at your London Hotel.

Otherwise - you could book at any of the mainstream hotels within walking distance of where you are staying. But at many hotels, this special seating will be over your &pound;50 limit.
Christmas Day dinner at a hotel in Mayfair.

Another option would be an Indian or other ethnic restaurant since some of them do open on Christmas Day.
Other than a few hotels it is very difficult to find much open on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. You should book ahead for a place to eat on Christmas Day, or else check to be sure your hotel has a restaurant open on the 25th, although many Chinese and Indian places, and Lebanese restaurants along the Edgware Rd will be open.
The thing that surprised us the most was how much was closed not just on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but for the whole week. Many of the smaller, local, restaurants were closed as were some of the smaller shops and such, especially off the main shopping drags. I had taken a lot of notes on the recommendations of those on the forum, and was not able to dine at the Indian or Chinese restaurants recommended close to our hotel. It did not spoil our trip, but was a bit frustrating a few times during the week.
Hospitals - yes I said hospitals. Most if not all National Health Service (public) hospitals have a canteen or restaurant that is open to visitors. They don't advertise it because it is supposed to be for people visiting relatives but there is nothing to stop anyone eating there. Don't expect fine wine and waiter service, just expect basic food
On Boxing Day we arrived at Wagamama at 11:55, our predetermined lunch spot, to find it closed.
We really liked Noura Brasserie, a Lebanese restaurant. Our meal was excellent and the price reasonable for Christmas Day - many places were charging &pound;100 to &pound;200 per person which was more than we wanted to spend. Four places, in Hobart Place, Belgravia, for a restaurant and brasserie, in William Street, Knightsbridge, for a delicatessen and patisserie, in Curzon Street, Mayfair for a restaurant, cafe and take-away and in Piccadilly Noura Central, their newest restaurant. Please phone to check which are open
Chinatown in bustling on Christmas Day. We had a nice lunch there on Christmas. Piccadilly tube
On Boxing Day we did fish and chips lunch at Harry Ramsden (near Piccadilly) and we had a great dinner that night at Boulevard Brasserie in Covent Garden. There were many places open on Boxing Day! We also saw two shows on Boxing Day -- both half price from TKTS. So I see no reason to think you have to leave town on that day. In fact it was delightful as there was so little traffic in the city.
Got on Boulevard Brasserie's website and they are offering Christmas dinner between 12 and 3:30- the menu looks great. Covent Garden
Christmas type dinner at Rule's, the oldest restaurant in London, Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, but closed on Christmas Day.
Last year we had a very nice Christmas dinner (despite it being a buffet) at the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel, tucked away off Berkeley Square, near Green Park
Harrod's Food Court (for already prepared items or for cooking from scratch) would be my choice for picking up something for Christmas dinner: near Knightsbridge. Marks &amp; Spencers also have a good selection.
We walked to a close dinner spot by Victoria Station called ASK. There are several locations around London, and this Italian pizza and pasta spot suited our family well. We had Caesar salads, 3 pizzas, and wine/sodas. A little pricey for what we got, but the service and food were good. Hey, it’s London and we’re on vacation. Total bill was &pound;55.60 including tax and tip.
I don't know about restaurants near Sloane Square doing Christmas lunch, except for the Bluebird Brasserie which isn't all that special and it runs about &pound;50.
If you are in a private home - I'd bring in prepared Christmas dinner fixings and eat in,. Then go for a long walk afterwards. About the only time you can see London traffic-free.
Le Cercle, near Sloane Square should be open on Christmas Day, or at least it was two years ago. email them and find out
[email protected]
There is a very nice grocery store in Sloane Square called Partridges. I would expect that they would have a lot of good pre-prepared things that you could buy and have a very nice meal.
By the way, I'd highly recommend Maggie Jones off Kensington High Street -- where we did Christmas Eve dinner. It is wonderfully atmospheric and seems so &quot;perfect&quot; for a traditional British meal. We had hoped for that on Christmas, but they were going to be closed so we booked Christmas Eve (after an early candlelight Carol concert at Royal Albert Hall).
On the recommendation of a friend whose brother lived in London, we took the tube to Notting Hill Gate for dinner at the Churchill Arms on Kensington Church St. This was a very neat pub, but the cool thing was that at the rear of the pub they serve delicious Thai food……Yes, you read correctly…..Thai food at the Pub, but they serve you drinks from the bar. We loved this place, but you really need reservations for dinner. The total bill was &pound;35 with all entrees priced at &pound;5.85, plus wine, beer, sodas, etc…. This was a Fullers pub so B had to have a pint here and compare it to his Young’s at the Lamb. Our “official” opinion was that we preferred the Young’s Bitter to the Fullers Pride (that part is for you, Pub-7), but I know that is a subject certain to rouse debate.
Savoir Faire is at 42 New Oxford St. near Tottenham Court Road. We had a good pre-theatre prix fixe meal with garlic bread, salads, a pasta dish, a pork dish, and 2 salmon dishes….add to that ˝ bottle of claret, a couple of soft drinks and water. It was a cozy small bistro and everything was very nice. Total bill came to &pound;55.
Walked to Tas for one of our favourite meals of the trip. There are several locations around London, but I think this may be the original. We had an excellent dinner with fantastic service. We had 2 appetizers along with lots of yummy bread (hummous and kisir), 4 main dishes (lamb with aubergine, mussels, moussaka, and another lamb dish with vegetables), bottled water, wine, beer, lemonades, 3 Turkish coffees, and a baklava. All was yummy and the bill came to &pound;72.68 inclusive. Phone first to be sure which Tas restaurants are open. See next six entries
Tas Levantine restaurant, 22 Bloomsbury St, Tottenham Court Road tube

Tas Levantine restaurant, 37 Farringdon Rd, Farringdon tube

Tas Levantine restaurant, 72 and 76 Borough High Street, London Bridge tube

Tas Levantine restaurant, 20 - 22 New Globe Walk, London Bridge tube

Tas Levantine restaurant, 33 The Cut, 020 7928 1444, Southwark tube

EV Levantine restaurant, Bar and Delicatessen, The Arches, 97-99 Isabella St, Southwark tube

MUSEUMS
All museums and attractions are closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, except that the Dickens Museum is open on Christmas Day.
London Christmas museum events: http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/londo...id=iHkF7eSVvjm
We went to the Hard Rock shop to browse and, mostly, to get warm. Sometimes the highlights of a trip come at the most unexpected moments. It turns out that there is a special room in the basement vault of the shop which has memorabilia on display. Jimmy, our Scottish, “bandanaed” (is that a word?), tattooed and pierced, guide brought the 4 of us on a “tour.” J, our guitar playing music fan, got to hold and play both Jimi Hendrix’ and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitars…..really a wow moment! Other special items were guitars of BB King, Jeff Beck, Kurt Cobain, Eric Clapton, and more along with a pair of glasses and jacket belonging to John Lennon. Highly recommend this to all rock n’roll or blues fans.
MUSIC. It is good to buy the listings magazine Time Out at your arrival airport, to find concerts like these.

Tuesday 26 December at 7.30. Boxing Day Baroque by the Belmont Ensemble of London. Autumn and Winter from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, Corelli’s Christmas Concessionserto, Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Vivaldi’s Christmas Violin Concessionserto, Bach’s Concertofor Two Violins in D minor, Handel’s Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, Torelli’s Christmas Concerto and the Overture to The Messiah. St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square.

Thursday 28 December at 7.30. The Complete Brandenburgs at Christmas by the London Octave. St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square.

Friday 29 December at 7.30. Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite by the London Concertante. St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square.

Saturday 30 December at 7.30. A Night in Old Vienna by the Brandenburg Sinfonia. St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square.

Sunday 31 December. New Year's Eve concert by the London Philharmonic. Barbican.

PANTOMIME

If you are in London in December you might like to try the knockabout farce of the pantomime. The playwright takes an old tale, and stages it according to outrageous traditions. The male lead is a woman. The female comic lead is a man. The audience take a big part, hiss the villain, and tell the heron where the villain is. There is a transformation scene before your very eyes. The best way in London is to choose a show, phone, and book a performance about two in the afternoon. Over the phone, too, you should ask where to find lunch, perhaps in a pub, perhaps in the theatre buffet, and how to get ton the theatre by tube. I used a helpful but incomplete web site, http://www.bigpantoguide.co.uk/london.php, and added three shows.

List of pantos in London
http://www.thisistheatre.com/panto.html
www.viewlondon.co.uk/xmas_feat_theatre_panto.asp

PARADE for New Year's Day: parade in the area of Trafalgar Square to Picadilly.
SHOPPING. With the current value of the dollar in pounds, there really aren't any bargains. Almost anything you find in London can be bought in the US for considerably less.
Saturday 9 December. 11 to 4. Christmas Market at Southwark Cathedral, London Bridge tube

Borough Market has extra hours the week before Christmas.
Stock up on groceries, drinks etc on 24th. No supermarkets or grocery shops will be open on 25th, and stores close early (3-5pm) on 24th. One caution: around Christmas, Oxford Street becomes a madhouse, even worse than usual.
When the Oxford Street shops open with their sales after Christmas, you cannot get down the street faster than a shuffle. But then, you might like shopping in dense crowds. This site gives Jan 2006 dates - shouldnt be too different in 2007 http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/G...nuarySales.htm

SPORT I highly recommend a football match, and it doesn’t even have to be a big, expensive Premiership match…..just go for the fun if you like the game at all.
If you plan to go to the open-air ice skating rink at Somerset House get reservations.

THEATRE. Daily except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Open Boxing Day. Lists in Time Out magazine, which sells out so should be bought on the Wednesday before Christmass.
Ballet: Nutcracker etc. Last year there was the interesting ballet of Edward Scissorhands at Sadler Wells. if you've gone to a Nutcracker performance in NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia, be advised that the London productions are not nearly as lavish in terms of sets and design (esp. in comparison to New York's production). The ballet performances themselves are very good, but be prepared for something more pared down.
*IF* there is a performance of Die Fledermaus scheduled (I haven't checked), that might be fun to attend; it's a light opera (and not too long) and it's tradition to do a sharp, funny and topical monologue in the middle. But Die Fledermaus tickets usually sell out well in advance.
TRANSPORT. None on Christmas Day except for Heathrow Express, with raised fares. Fewer busses and tube trains on Boxing Day.
You are pretty much going to have to walk. There are a very few cabs working that day but not many.
We stay right in Covent Garden so transportation was not an issue at all.
I'm not sure what the big deal is about no transport. There are dozens of car services in London and last year I noticed lots of people being dropped off at various places by these services. You might want to call a few days ahead to book one, but I can't imagine that it's that big a problem.
I use Swiss Cottage Cars 020 7431 2700, which is actually a conglomeration of more car services with drivers and their own cars. I don't think most of their drivers celebrate Christmas.

WALKS.
A walk on Christmas morning through St. James and Green Parks. Another in Regents Park. Ben Haines, [email protected], sends to enquirers his notes on self-directed walks in London.
London Walks operates, including a Dickens London walk.
WINDOW SHOPPING. In department stores like Selfridges.

KayF Nov 16th, 2006 10:27 PM

Forgive me for misunderstanding - when I read on this thread:

&quot;Harrods has no festive decorations when it reopens after Christmas.&quot;

and

&quot;Christmas deco's are often pulled christmas eve.&quot;

what else am I supposed to think?

Kay

Mucky Nov 17th, 2006 01:21 AM

&quot;Harrods has no festive decorations when it reopens after Christmas.&quot;
and
&quot;Christmas deco's are often pulled christmas eve.what else am I supposed to think?&quot;

Don't worry KayF, You think right !!only take half notice of Flanners charm and wit.

Muck