London 5 Star Hotel

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:57 AM
james

London 5 Star Hotel

I will be in London for a special occasion and would like comments and suggestions on London luxury hotels such as The Lanesborough,Claridge's,The Dorchester,Connaught and The Berkeley.Thank You

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 09:42 AM
sue

Lanesborough is great, so is the Four Seasons for great service, loation...but the Stafford or Dukes are in a lovely location - very quiet behind Green Park in a little street...very English in flavor. If you want to pick one of the Savoy Chain hotels go for Claridges or the Dorchester

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Patrick

These are all a little out of my price range, but very good friends of mine go to London often and have stayed at many top places. This is what they say. <BR>Claridges -- have stayed at many times. They love it. Very fine hotel with superb service and extremely helpful and friendly staff. <BR>The Connaught -- Stayed twice and both times were to have very large suites which ended up not being available so they had average size rooms (still quite elegant, but nothing like what they were promised). Also, although my friends are well into their 60's they said they felt like children there because the average age of both guests and staff seemed to be about 90. <BR>The Dorchester: Ok, but nothing special (but think it's been totally redone since they were there.) <BR>The Lanesborough: Thought is was simply too gratuitous. They don't mind paying a lot for where they stay, but when the simple cheese sandwich they prepared for her in the mid afternoon was about $80, that was just a bit too much. She laughed about it and said there must be a mistake, but they assured her there had been no mistake! To be fair, she did have a small mineral water with it! <BR>And although you didn't ask: 21 Jermyn. This is now their favorite place as long as they get one of the "larger suites". A totally different concept from the big hotels above, but absolutely first class service and exquisite rooms.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:34 PM
t

t

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:04 AM
beth

21 Jermyn Street has beautiful suites - but is not a full service hotel - no restaurant/bar on premises - has to be sent out for.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Patrick

Beth is right about the lack of a restaurant at 21 Jermyn, but my friends love the fact that the hotel books them into prime tables at the hottest spots in town and delivers them via limo where they are always treated like royalty. That little hotel must have some pull at all the restaurants. And although they "send" out for meals for room service -- the quality of the two meals they have had served in their own suite were superior to any room service they have had at other hotels. So who cares that it came from a great nearby restaurant instead of the hotel's own kitchen? I do repeat, however, staying there is a whole different thing from the usual big full service hotel.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 02:25 PM
t

t

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 02:39 PM
X

WHAT'D THE DEAL? DO YOU REALLY CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK? ALL THE HOTELS YOU MENTION ARE BETTER THAN THE MOTEL6, WHATS YOUR POINT IN ASKING THIS ?

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:24 PM
james

To XXX , I'm sorry i did not get your name,who replied to my message I'm glad you were interested enough in the title 5 Star Hotel to take the time to read and reply to my question about luxury hotels.Thank you.I did not think this site was for only people who stayed at THE MOTEL 6.When I do have a question about The Motel 6 I'll look foward to your response.Thanks!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Tom

James, this depends on what type of hotel you are looking for - old fashioned/ trendy modern /small /large etc. Small luxury, I would go for Blakes Hotel; the Lanesborough if you want something bigger. If you want modern and hip, go for St Martins Lane or the Sanderson. For the 'wow' factor, I can recommend One Aldwych. <BR> <BR>A couple of web sites with reviews of luxury hotels, might help you to decide: <BR> <BR>http://www.oneclicktravel.com/luxury.html <BR> <BR>http://www.timeout.com/london/accom/index.html <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Tom.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 05:46 PM
toptraveler

To XXX: I know this will be hard for you to understand but think of it this way. When YOU are traveling you sometimes might have a hard time deciding whether to splurge on the Motel 6, stick with a local hostel, or just sleep in the back of your pick-up truck. At the same time, some travelers try to make similar decisions between several levels or choices of nice hotels. No, they are not all alike, just like the Motel 6 is a little different from sleeping in the back of your pick-up.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:14 PM
sandy

I'm a little skeptical about getting into the middle of all this, but here goes . . . . <BR> <BR>For what it's worth, I've heard really nice things about The Ritz. You know, they filmed the hotel scenes in "Notting Hill" there, and it looked pretty terrific. It's in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World book and also Leading Hotels of the World, if that means anything. Look it up: <BR>www.slh.com <BR>www.lhw.com

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:58 PM
nickie

The Lanesborough and the Dorchester are consistently on the top ten list for the Conde Nast travel magazine, if that's any help. I like Dukes myself, as long as you get one of the larger rooms. Cozy, quaint, quiet, friendly staff, with it's own gas lit courtyard.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:45 AM
London-lover

Jim, <BR> <BR>My parents stayed at Claridge's two years ago - they thought that the service was fantastic, but that their room was overpriced. It was definitely understated and not splashy-looking. They did find the concierge very helpful, and enjoyed the location. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:47 AM
bill

Stayed at the Goring for a week last <BR>spring. <BR>Great location close to Vicoria Station, <BR>underground, quiet location, hotel is <BR>small great service. <BR>A bit expensive but worth the splurge. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Neal Sanders

James, I stayed several nights at the Berkeley earlier this year and and can recommend it highly. I had a "junior suite" on the 5th floor, which was beautifully decorated. Email be directly if you would like further comments.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 12:12 PM
harrison

has anyone stayed at Sheratons Luxury Collection hotel, The Park Tower in London? I believe it is a 4-5 star hotel...is this correct?

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Rena

Another 4-5 star London hotel that you may wish to check out is <BR>www.great-eastern-hotel.co.uk. We were just there in October. It's located next to the Liverpool station in London. I think it just opened in May or June of this year. It has a bunch of restaurants on the ground level which are all very good serving a variety of cuisine: traditional british pub food, modern japanese, modern british, etc. Despite its' proximity to a train station, it's very initmate and quiet. Hotel's interior is contemporary with a SPECTACULAR(!!!) common area. Personally, I prefer the more modern establishments to the traditional British hotels which I find too floral and ornate.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 09:22 PM
jim

if you had to choose to stay @The Dorchester or The Lanesborough which would you choose?I have also heard nice things about One Aldwych has anybody stayed and want to respond?

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 06:48 AM
kim

Sorry for the longevity of this post. <BR>One Aldwych is too cool for school. I didn't stay there but some friends of mine in London booked a room there (while I stayed in their flat) for their honeymoon. They brought me to the hotel to take a look at it...because apparently it was/is THE hotel in London. When the three of us showed up at the front desk, the clerk didn't bat an eyelash. By the time we got to the room, 3 champagne glasses were waiting. I thought maybe my friends had called ahead, but they swore they hadn't. I don't know which part is the best: the thought and not caring that I could be a third party in honeymoon "activities" or the room itself which is very minimalist and ultra modern. The bed was big (not that I slept in it!) and two small reading lights came out on each side of the headboard. The tub was big and on the rim of the tub were two very mini tvs supported by a some adjustable metal tubing. There was a small wall safe too and the view was fabulous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -