Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London 4 nights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-4-nights-1134811/)

bobbicurtis Oct 6th, 2016 10:57 AM

London 4 nights

Following my post about Ireland I would also love itinerary ideas for our 4 nights/5 days in London! Definitely want to do one day trip to see Stonehenge. Other than that, we love museums, parks, outdoor activities and a nice pub or two.

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 11:07 AM

>>our 4 nights/5 days in London!<<

You need to either re-figure, or clarify.

Generally 4 nights = 3 day, 5 days = 6 nights.

And if it is 4 nights/3 days then you'll have very little time available for a full day's trip to Stonehenge.

What time of year? Do you have any guidebooks re London? What ideas do you already have?

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 11:07 AM

>>our 4 nights/5 days in London!<<

You need to either re-figure, or clarify.

Generally 4 nights nets you 3 day, 5 days needs 6 nights.

And if it is 4 nights/3 days then you'll have very little time available for a full day's trip to Stonehenge.

What time of year? Do you have any guidebooks re London? What ideas do you already have?

Kathie Oct 6th, 2016 11:08 AM

If you have four nights in London, you have three full days, not 5. You will have a couple of hours on two different days in addition to your three days in London, but that's it. And you are going to spend on of your three days at Stonehenge - you need to have very limited goals in London.

My top things in London: The Tower of London, the British Museum, and if you love gardens, go out to Kew.

I looked at your other thread and I think you are trying to go too many places. If you have two nights somewhere, it is just one day. I figure if some place is only worth a day, it probably isn't worth including.

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 11:09 AM

Oh -- sorry for the double post. The site froze up so I thought it didn't take. I edited and tried again . . . and both took.

bobbicurtis Oct 6th, 2016 11:41 AM

I'm a pretty frequent traveler and although two nights is a short amount of time, I plan on spending is wisely and I dont have any major goals for Amsterdam other than seeing parts of the city. As for London the itinerary looked something like this.
DAY 1: buckingham palace, british museum, london eye
DAY 2: Palace of Westminster and Churchill War rooms
DAY 3: Stonehenge
Day 4: more museums, outdoor activities

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 12:18 PM

>>DAY 1: buckingham palace, british museum, london eye
DAY 2: Palace of Westminster and Churchill War rooms<<

Look at a map of London -- Except for the British Museum, all of these are essentially next door neighbors. Buck House is a 'walk by', as is the Palace of Westminster (unless you pre-book a tour). You could easily walk by the Palace, visit the War Rooms, walk by Parliament and ride the Eye in less than one afternoon. Throw in Westminster Abbey and you could do the whole lot in about 6 hours.

bobbicurtis Oct 6th, 2016 12:35 PM

Thats perfect! The goal was to have a really busy day or two getting all activities in and then time to wander and enjoy the city. Now, am i being crazy ambitious if I tried taking a train from london to stonehenge early and then stonehenge to oxford and oxford back to the city?

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 12:48 PM

>>Now, am i being crazy ambitious<<

Yes :)

>> . . . if I tried taking a train from london to stonehenge early and then stonehenge to oxford and oxford back to the city?<<

The train from London to Salisbury takes about 1.5 hours. Then you have to either take the local tour bus or a taxi from in front of the Station 20 mins out to the stones, then a couple of hours at the site, then back to Salisbury, then a 2 hour train ride w/ a change to Oxford. The earliest you could hope to arrive in Oxford would be about 2:30PM - that would semi doable but very rushed

bobbicurtis Oct 6th, 2016 05:17 PM

And how much time should I allow for Oxford? I would be happy seeing the university and a couple spots in town. Nothing too extensive

janisj Oct 6th, 2016 05:33 PM

>> I would be happy seeing the university<<

There isn't a 'university campus'. That isn't what Oxford is like. There are many colleges -- more than 30. Many of the beautiful ancient, architecturally important bldgs -- and most not open to the public or just very limited open times. Though a few are open regular hours and charge an admission fee.

These colleges are spread over the entire city. This site lists them

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...listing?wssl=1

If you just want to walk around a bit seeing a few of the colleges from the outside, walk through the covered market, visit the University Church of St Mary the Virgin and climb the tower, have a pub meal, and walk through Christ Church Meadows and/or the botanic gardens -- allow at least 5 hours.

lanejohann Oct 7th, 2016 10:43 PM

we took a coach tour to Stonehenge...with evans I think it was
it included bath..
ive done two tours like that..long days but you see quite a bit

id love to stay in bath independently but probably wont having been there twice

Look...the tours are always limiting...but when you have only a day theyre efficient

you can book a tour when you get to London
just see what the weather forecast is