Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, 3/1 - 3/3 - Marriott Kensington vs Club Qtrs St Paul

Jan 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Solo female traveler visiting London for a couple days in early Mar. Trying to decide between staying in Kensington/Earl's Court or near St. Paul's. Would one area be safer than the other for pedestrian traffic in the evenings?
Jan 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Of those two locations - The Marriott would be 100% better. The Club Quarters is in Gracechurch St and the area will be almost totally deserted in the evenings.

The Marriott is not far from Gloucester Rd tube station and is walking distance from Kensington Gardens, the V&A and LOTS of pubs, restaurants, shops and such.

Are they your only two options?
Jan 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

janisj - thanks for replying so quickly! these are just 2 hotels I found within my price range (~200 USD/nt, on expedia). I typically choose Marriott, but the Kensington location looked at bit far out from central London sites. I've been to London a couple times, so I'm comfortable getting around on the tube, but don't want to spend lots of time underground if I don't have to. If you can recommend any other hotels, I would really appreciate it.

Another consideration is transport to/from LHR. I'm flying from CDG to LHR on Sat am at 11am. I leave from LHR to Chicago on Mon at 3pm. I thinking about taking the tube to/from Heathrow. Would you expect the tube be a hassle during those times? I'll have a pullman carry-on bag and a laptop backpack.

I've been looking at several London forums here, and I've seen your screen name many times. Thanks for taking time to share your insights!
Jan 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Sat mid-day in from in from LHR on the tube would not be bad at all. You can take the tube to the Gloucester rd station w/o any changes. Plus you'd get on at the first station so there will be plenty of place to sit. The hotel is a short-ish walk from the tube station.

On the Monday you will be heading out before noon so again, not bad at all.

That location may look out of the center on a map - but the Piccadilly line can get you just about anywhere in minutes. It is actually more convenient than Gracechurch st.
Jan 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM

<<< but the Picadilly line can get you just about anywhere in minutes. It is actually more convenient than Gracechurch st. >>>

???

Gracechurch Street near Monument District Line which means most of the Central London tourist sights are one or two stops away.

It's also easy walking distance of Bank Station which is on the Central Line so makes the British Museum accessible

However Gloucester Road is also on the District Line so the same is true - just a few more stops. It does however has the distinct advantage of being on the direct line from Heathrow.

Further however - Club Quarters St Pauls isn't on Gracechurch Street, it's right by St Pauls itself on Ludgate Hill.

The Club Quarters on Gracechurch Street is a different hotel which, I can confirm, is totally dead at night & weekends with many of the shops not even opening at weekends
Jan 31st, 2008, 02:04 AM

also, try a few of the frequent bus routes instead of always going underground. it is a bit slower, but i find cleaner and more pleasant.
Jan 31st, 2008, 02:50 AM

Ludgate Hill is hardly unsafe, but the area is still mainly business-focussed, and it will feel a bit dead over the weekend. Less so than Gracechurch St, but much more so than Gloucester Road.
Jan 31st, 2008, 03:54 AM

If you are set on Club Quarters try the one on Northumberland Avenue just off Trafalgar Square. Well located and a safe area.
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM

oops - sorry. Guess I sent this thread off in a ditch thinking it was Gracechurch street.

But as PatrickLondon says - it is still primarily a business/office area and will be really dead at weekends.

So -- right point - wrong place