Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   london (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-216871/)

kathie May 8th, 2002 05:33 AM

london

I am a 20 year old student who will be spending a month in London. I've read lots of travel books on London but want "must do or see" places and things from others that have actually been there recently. No car and limited budget. kathie

Suzy May 8th, 2002 05:38 AM

A month, how wonderful. You wouldn't want a car in London, anyway, so that's no problem! And the train system can get you almost anywhere you want to go.<BR><BR>For LOTS of discussion and suggestions in response to your question, just check on the previous posts here for the UK (use the keyword search at the top of the screen) or do a search on "London".

jpm May 8th, 2002 06:26 AM

Kathie, there is enough "free" stuff to do in London to keep you busy for more than a month. Of course it depends upon your interest.<BR><BR>For cheap theater, get tickets for &pound;5 (I think, may be little more now) for the Groundling area at the Globe Theater.<BR><BR>Have a great time - WOW! A month! I'm so jealous.<BR><BR>jpm<BR><BR>ps. If you are interested I have some London travelogues posted at my website, appleberryroad.com. Write if you have any specific questions.

elaine May 8th, 2002 06:31 AM

kathie<BR>if you don't have it already, look for the "Let's Go" guide. There is one for all of Europe including London; they might have a smaller book just for London, I don't know. It is published by students for students and they tend to include suggestions and tips for young, budget-minded people.

andrew May 8th, 2002 06:42 AM

Kathie - I hope you enjoy your time in my home city. Not knowing what your interests are here's my take on the "must do or sees".<BR><BR>Must do:-<BR>Tower of London<BR><BR>National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery(free entrance)<BR><BR>British Museum (free entrance)<BR><BR>London Eye<BR><BR>Shopping (but not necessary buying) at Harrods for opulence, Fortnum and Mason for groceries and shop assistants in penguin suits, Harvey Nichols for hanging out with the "it" girls, Oxford Street for fashion.<BR><BR>Thames Walk along the "South Bank" - take a browse at the Tate Modern for bizarre art (free) and walk along the not so wobbly bridge to St Pauls Cathedral<BR><BR>Hampton Court Palace - Henry VIII's home<BR><BR>Canary Wharf - see the modern face of London and do a ride on the Docklands light rail (who needs a rollercoaster when you have those bends)<BR><BR>Globe theatre for Shakespeare as jpm suggests<BR><BR>Take a river cruise to Greenwich - see the market and the Greenwich meridian<BR><BR>Covent Garden - the nearest you'll get to an alfresco (open air) lifestyle in London - listen to the free music, watch the dreadful performing artists and shop at Lush - hand made soaps and cosmetic products<BR><BR>Try a pub (or seven!)<BR><BR>Speak to the locals - test the famous British reserve<BR><BR>Whatever you do though - have a great time!

mimi May 8th, 2002 07:24 AM

Be sure to pick up a copy of Time Out when you first get there. That will give you the list of all upcoming events for the week. I think it is also on-line too. There is so much happening in London. I spent four months there and loved it!

Laurie May 8th, 2002 10:32 AM

Great posts above. I would like to add that one of the best meals I have ever had (living in Louisiana this means a lot), was at Harrods foodcourts at some chicken Rotisserie place. Great chicken, potatoes and good wine.<BR><BR>Go to a market of some type. Portabello is one to try.<BR><BR>Have fun.

tj May 8th, 2002 10:37 AM

<BR>When you go to the Globe theatre to see Shakespeare, stand in the pit. Its the best way to experience it.

Louis May 8th, 2002 10:47 AM

Kathie:<BR>If you can afford a five pounds, do the "Beatles Walk". It starts at Piccadilly Circus. The guy that does this is extremely knowledgable about the Beatles and the entire 1960's British group scene. He will take you, amongst other places, to Saville Row (Apple Offices), and Abbey Road, where you will be able to walk the "Holy Crossing". For schedule and more info, check the flyer at the Tourist Offices.<BR>P.S. The "Jack the Ripper" walk is also a lot of fun.

Julie May 8th, 2002 11:02 AM

Kathie - This website is a great idea for free stuff in London, someone else on the board here suggested it so I will pass it on to you now.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR><BR>http://www.londonfreelist.com/home.asp

Nigel Doran May 9th, 2002 06:48 AM

Get down to Shoreditch, or sniff out Clapham, Islington, Camden and Notting Hill. All are places where real people live and all are, to a greater or lesser extent, areas that are gentrified. Bars, art galleries, nightclubs, shops and boutiques are there. They'll give you a real taste of life. <BR><BR>Get a Zone 1 and 2 travel card for a month. Bring a photo and you then need not bother about paying for buses, tubes, trains, trams and Docklands light rail while you are here. <BR><BR>Buy 'Time Out' and the 'Evening Standard' as well as the Saturday and Sunday national papers, most of which have inserts that lean heavily towards what's on in London. <BR><BR>Let yourself get lost. Just hop on a bus or Tube and get off and on when you feel like it. (If you go further than Zone 2, get an upgrade before you travel. This is not necessary for buses.) <BR>