Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London 2012 Olympic Logo - positive view of city?

Jun 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Do you think this animated celebration of "yoof" culture is a positive representation of London globally through its modernity or has the aesthetic appeal of a deformed swastika or one of the Simpsons going through rigamortis?
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Logo can be seen here:
http://www.london2012.com/
Personally, I think it's pretty awful. Wouldn't want a t-shirt with that on it. Or anything else.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM

If you really want to debate this you need to realize that the olympics identity is not just about the logo. It is a whole branding identity with its own "language" that can be used to "speak" across all types of media.

Whether you love it or hate it, its very unique and uniquely memorable. It is much more original than many of the other recent branding strategies for the games -- and makes a true attempt at creating a distinct visual style that can be implemented across all media without being boring. This is a very difficult thing to achieve -- and even more difficult to do it in an new and exciting way.

Im not a complete fan of the logo on its own. It is a bit clunky and "crashy". But....... the challenge for designers in 2007 is to create an identity that can span across the many types of media available - and still read as a cohesive whole. Because of new medias, (such as tv, video, internet, cellphone video, texting, gorilla marketing,) many of the logos being developed today are created with the idea that they will be animated, moving, 3-dimensional, or will be used in a totally different context than logos of "the good old days". And today's audience (of young people who will rapidly become tomorrows middle-aged) is expecting a more engaging language associated with a brand. They want something exciting, and edgy and unique.

Its a risky design, verging on the edge of crazed. And the logo may not be entirely successful on its own. But design is not about a static logo anymore. And the unique way in which the "brand" is used -- breaking the logo up, animating it and integrating it across media creates a rich and multilayered language that is new, different and exciting.

And isnt that what the Olympics needs?
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM

"...create an identity that can span across the many types of media available - and still read as a cohesive whole."

If that is the "creation" then i think they may have failed, miserably but what do I know?

When I first looked at this logo I was not impressed, it isn't the least bit "distinctive" (in a good sense) or memorable.

I am (sorely) reminded of that "thing" called the "what'sit" or the "who'sit" or whatever it was called for the Atlanta event...I'm not sure they ever came up with a name for it.

Lost to the sands of time I guess.

What the Olympics "needs" is not this I am afraid but no, I don't have any viable alternative.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Yes I've seen it. $1 million later, OMG what were they thinking. And comes in a choice of 4 colours no less. And yes it's supposed to appeal to the "yoof". My first impression was of a monkey from a dated computer game. However nobody told the "hip" designer that that style of graphics was last used for "Space Invaders". And other interpretations are that it is inspired from graffiti. Why it should be based on this moronic artform is beyond me! Most kids aren't into vandalism so why should it appeal to them.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM

But have you seen any of the supporting media - or just the logo?
Its hard to judge the whole, when only looking at a part.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Steve we're talking about the logo here - it stinks! Compare it to the simplicity and effectiveness of the Barcelona Olympics - http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=6958.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM

There's a rich English tradition of moaning about anything "they" do. This has to be put into context: 50,000 people were reported this morning to have signed the web petition for the logo to be burnt at the stake. But that still means 60 million of us haven't.

HOWEVER, there's a more recent tradition of the design industry producing stuff that upsets us, and justifying it with incoherent twaddle.

And when that happens, it's been a clear symptom of deep mismanagement. Getting rid of the flag on BA planes, or calling the Post Office 'Consignia' are both examples of insanity that got reversed after public pressure - and then got their incompetent managers sacked, shortly before being seen to have turned from otherwise well-run businesses into national catastrophes.

Same with BP, where John Browne is now known to have spent more time redesigning the logo (and speechifying at Davos) than making sure the pipelines weren't leaking or the refineries were safe.

Being gulled by designer twaddle is usually a clear sign of bad management - more concerned with their reputation among their peers than with getting the job done.

This is just such an example. It took the Post Office 400 years to piss the British off: it's taken the Olympics just under two. For the next five years, more and more Britons will come round to realising this whole Olympic nonsense is a preposterous waste of everything: designed merely to flatter the egos of international kleptocrats, swanning round London in their reserved traffic lanes while the rest of us swelter in an unrefurbished tube system.

It's STILL not to late to tell them to piss off. Sydney or Athens wouod LOVE to have this grotesquerie back.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM

PS:

Credit where credit's due. One thing they have got right, is that - apparently - the logo will be common to the Olympics and the Paralympics.

Even though the logo actually induces epileptic fits, and is having to be recalled.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM

"Its hard to judge the whole, when only looking at a part..."

Stevie, Baby...get REAL.

The whole point of a LOGO is to convey a message that doesn't REQUIRE you to look at, or read, anything else in order to get the message.

In this case...I've seen all I need to read.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Nothing wrong with the logo.Its already made itself instantly recognised due to the wroth of all the grumpy old men.
Remember its a logo not the mona lisa.
Er, it doesn't introduce epileptic fits.That was a movie with a diving sequence at a forbidden flash rates.
But lets not allow mere facts to get in the way of a good whinge.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:52 AM

My first reaction : WHY a PINK swastika ?
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Dukey -
I will ignore the "baby".

Anyway, my point is that the concept of logo design is changing due to new media. It isnt just a logo anymore, it is a BRAND.

So, while the logo on its own is arguably not the most beautiful thing, its edginess creates flexibiliity and versatility. This versatility creates a visual style to support the BRAND through all types of media.

This is a redesign of the entire approach to how the olypmics is portrayed -- not just creating a static visual mark that relates to the host city. While you may not like the "logo" on its own - I think it is a risky and bold approach to recreating the olympics - redesigning the brand to be younger, more exciting and able to reach across many types of media in a fresh and dramatic way.

Jun 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM

But why does it say 201.2?

Why is the TM mark floating around the edge like an afterthought?

It looks stressed, stressful and confused, and it's very hard to see what's going on. I do hope that isn't going to be a metaphor for the Games when they happen.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM

It's memorably ugly
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I guess I'm naive--I didn't see a swastika in it at all--just a stylized take on the year. Maybe if I look at it long enough...
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM

"Sydney or Athens wouod LOVE to have this grotesquerie back."

No, we wouldn't, once this century is more than sufficient!
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM

I don't have a problem with the "clunky, Crashy" look and I like the idea of it vibrating and bouncing with movement but the color is definitly not to my liking. Agree with Flanner though that it is a siezure waiting to happen!

thereyet
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Sadly it seems that Flanner has little or no regard for the development of British sports for the future.

It is no coincidence that the lack of investment in sports here in the UK corresponds with our failure to develop children or young adults who partake in sport let alone become world class at anything.

In the late 70's as a competitive swimmer just fractions away from qualifying times for the commonwealth games I had to give up, why after training so hard?

I could no longer afford to do it any more, the training facilities were all over the place we had to make do with using various pools travelling was hard and I needed to get a job.
There was no support.

Sadly doing both was impossible so swimming suffered. This is just one example of the long term lack of investment in any sport in the UK.

I strongly believe that the Olympics will enable those swimmers to go the whole way, it will inspire young runners to be there and even now as we speak, facilities are being planned and developed that will help young sports users (what ever their standard or ability) to enjoy sports as it is enjoyed in countries like Australia, USA Canada etc etc etc.

These facilities will be available for decades to come.

My only concern is that most of it will be in London. But I am confident that spin off's will be invaluable to the rest of the UK.

Sadly in the UK we love to waste time moaning about everything.
Lets embrace this opportunity and use it positively.

The new logo is probably really a waste of money, however in the corporate sponsorship world that we live in it does have its part to play as an identity, although I am sure it could have been done much cheaper.

To be honest, there are plenty of suggestions from the public that are far clearer, smarter and unique.

So what now?

Let's concentrate on what really matters, the sports and lets watch those kids get the facilities they need to enhance the lives of everyone that partakes.

Muck
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM

btw, I would sware that steviegene and flanneruk are professors of something or another!

thereyet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO