Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London - 1st time visit - Would you travel alone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-1st-time-visit-would-you-travel-alone-660959/)

tata823 Nov 27th, 2006 08:48 AM

London - 1st time visit - Would you travel alone?

Hey everyone!
As always, I find you guys very helpful so I'm looking for a bit of guidance.... I will be traveling for the first time to London late March. (Yay!) I will be meeting up with my husband who will be participating in a week long course in Oxford. I have 2 weekdays to visit London alone since my husband will be in class. Would you recommend a young lady walking around London alone during the day? I would consider myself pretty tough and having good common sense ;) (I'm from Miami and now live in DC - and I get around just fine alone.) But I have a horrible sense of direction, in which I've heard London is pretty confusing. I've heard London is fairly safe but if you were a young woman alone, would you do it? Or do you recommend me tagging along with a tour group? I do understand that you do not know me but I'm looking just for some input since I've never been there and don't know what to expect. =)

Many thanks in advance for your guidance!

DejaVu Nov 27th, 2006 09:00 AM

I've traveled to London four times alone (thirtysomething female)--had no problem. Just be smart and keep your wits about you, like you would anyplace.

A good map is essential. The subway/tube is very easy to use.

endlessummer Nov 27th, 2006 09:12 AM

Hi Tata - London is a VERY safe city. Considering it's size and population, it is a great place to wander around as a lone woman because it's so buzzy. I have lived here a long time and have my wits about me like I would in any place. I was assaulted once in the Tube (someone pushed behind me going through the Tube turnstile and I got a little ar$y and he kicked me) - but I was assaulted, (& witnessed the assault of my best friend), 5 times in Montreal - once in the suburbs, so go figure. You are from DC - you will be able to handle London no problem.

As for your horrible sense of direction - I must get asked once or twice a week for directions from tourists. Anyway, even Londoners have to consult maps or their A-Zs to get around. We're used to seeing lots of tourists wandering around.

You remind me of a story my mother told me about when she was walking down the street in DC. She stopped at the traffic light and a woman said to my mum "your pocketbook is open" and my mother laughed and said "oh there's nothing in there". And she said, with an expressionless face, "you wanna die for nothing?". Awful, but true.

Good luck!

W9London Nov 27th, 2006 09:15 AM

I don't think most part of London is no less safe than most part of DC. (Yes, I've lived in both).
What I can recommend is, 1) get a good map, 2) if you're concerned, do a hop-on, hop-off tour just to orient yourself, 3) avoid gypsy cabs. Personally, I do take subway until around 10pm, and usually take either bus or black cab after that. London is fairly easy to navigate, perfectly suited for exploring solo.

kaneda Nov 27th, 2006 09:19 AM

London is relatively safe but there is crime as there is in many big cities. People do get mugged, women do get raped, pockets get picked. Use common sense and you'll have a good time. Beware of anyone who is "too friendly" when you're on your own and don't accept drinks from them either (date rape drugs are not unknown).

dorkforcemom Nov 27th, 2006 09:28 AM

Yes - I've traveled to London several times; albeit not alone but I would feel very safe. I have traveled to Paris alone and was a bit more cautious, admittedly, than when I'm with others, but would do so again. Have a wonderful trip!

audere_est_facere Nov 27th, 2006 09:32 AM

Beware of anyone who is "too friendly" when you're on your own and don't accept drinks from them either (date rape drugs are not unknown).>>>>>>

Actually they are completely unknown. There has never been a proven incident of a date rape drug in the UK.

What usually happens is that the perosn gets themselves drunk or stoned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nytraveler Nov 27th, 2006 10:32 AM

London is safer than Miami and massively safer than DC.

As long as you stick to tourist areas - and don;t go wandering around in low income/high crime residential areas or deserted warhouse/dock areas - I can;t imagine why you would ever hesitate.

And - if you're directionally challenged have the concierge in your hotel map out a walking or tube route for you. (Have you ever tried to improve this skill by learning map reading?)

tata823 Nov 27th, 2006 10:32 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful advice (and stories)! I will definitely get a good map. I'm so excited for this adventure!

ira Nov 27th, 2006 11:50 AM

Hi T,

Except for minor problems with the language barrier, I wouldn't worry.

The major problem with visiting the UK is that speak a language so similar to English that you often, mistakenly, think that you understand what they are saying.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

sheila Nov 27th, 2006 11:57 AM

I did when i was in my early 20s and have been doing it ever since. Absolutely no sweat.

travelgirl2 Nov 27th, 2006 12:02 PM

I travelled to London alone and just tried to be around people when walking or taking the tube, which is no problem at all during the day. When I had to walk at night, I waited for a group of people to come along and then walked a bit behind them. The only place I felt creepy was the walk at night from the Tate Modern to the tube station - it was dark and desolate and kind of a warehouse district.

If you take the tube, ask when you get off the tube at each station (where you swipe your card to exit) for a map of the surrounding area. Each station has a one page map, which I found very helpful, even when I thought I knew where I was going. Also, the person giving me the map usually asked where I was going and told me which direction to head in. The subway folks were usually very friendly and helpful.

Dukey Nov 27th, 2006 01:10 PM

London isn't necessarily any more confusing than DC and the Tube is much more extensive than the Metro. In general, public transport in London is MUCH better than what we have here.

There are going to be several young ladies walking around London alone during the day. There is no reason for you to tag along with anybody IMO.

SAB Nov 27th, 2006 01:11 PM

If you don't want to sitesee by yourself, you could always take a London Walks excursion. Just get a schedule from their web site, find one that interests you, and show up at the beginning of a designated walk. http://www.walks.com/

flybob Nov 27th, 2006 01:16 PM

OK, no problem, I have the answer, I will show u London. I am 27 Male and single. No worries for ur husband, I will behave. Let me know when u arrive

chatham Nov 27th, 2006 01:24 PM

tata, I did when I was 65 and you know, I rather enjoyed it. After my husband's death I wanted to see if I could travel again on my own. It's like riding a bike, one doesn't forget. Enjoy yourself.

suze Nov 27th, 2006 01:57 PM

Stick to known neighborhoods and tourists areas.

Pay attention to what is going on around you.

And my best tip: Carry the business card for your hotel & taxi fare enough to get back (should you get lost or find yourself in an uncomfortable situation).

monicapileggi Nov 27th, 2006 02:31 PM

I spent 4 nights in London May 2005 prior to taking a cruise to the Baltics. I found London to be pretty safe. I felt comfortable touring around on my own; walked everywhere and took the tube or bus a couple of times. I also felt comfortable walking at night, although I make sure I stick to the main streets that are well lighted. As long as you are of aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine.

Have a great time!

Monica ((F))

lisasandiego Nov 27th, 2006 03:05 PM

I am going to London all by myself for a long 5 day weekend next week! I'm 27. It is one of the nicest, cleanest, easiest cities to navigate in the world. (IMO) All the museums are FREE, and the shopping is fabulous. I prefer short trips on my own because you can go where ever you want for as long or short as you want. You will have a great time. Just do like everyone else said and buy a good map. One with a tube (subway) map and one with the sites on it is helpful too.

carrolldf Nov 27th, 2006 03:22 PM

I'd go to London alone the first time or the fiftieth. It's a great place.

Only suggestion I would make in addition to getting a good map is to also take a compass, especially if you plan to use the tube. Many times I've come out of a tube or metro station and not been able to get oriented until I use my compass....saves having to back-track a few blocks.