Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-116534/)

gina Apr 3rd, 2001 09:48 AM

London

We have a layover in London for 1 day. We arrive mid day Sunday from Rome and will have to leave Monday night. What does anyone suggest to see and do for that short time? Where should we stay?

kam Apr 3rd, 2001 10:33 AM

Sunday is pretty quiet in London--you don't say if you've been there before. Try to contact one of the bigger business chains such as Intercontinental or Thistle. They often discount rooms on the weekend. Spend part of the day at Covent Garden just browsing around. The Tower of London, the new Tate Gallery, Westminster Abbey are all good.

Jane Apr 3rd, 2001 10:53 AM

The National Gallery and the British Museum are both free entry, and both are must sees if you've not seen them yet.

Linda Apr 3rd, 2001 12:32 PM

If I only had one day in London and this was my first time, the first thing I'd do (after I got a room) is to take a bus tour. They are great; you can hop off and on as you want; and they give you a wonderful overview of the city. You get to see most of the major sights, at least from the outside, and have the option of stopping to explore anything you want. Well worth the price for your first time to London.

Kimerley Apr 3rd, 2001 04:10 PM

try the Londontown web site<BR>http://www.londontown.uk<BR>they often have cheap hotel deals going<BR>or http://www.lastminute.com<BR>If you have never been to London before, stay near Kensington, visit Hyde Park, Harrods, the Tower of London, Trafalgar sq at night.<BR>Check out a London map and zero in on the things that interest you. The tubes are fairly efficient. Enjoy your trip.

kate Apr 4th, 2001 04:49 AM

With one day and one night, this is what I would do:<BR><BR>1) I wouldn't stay in Kensington, go to Hyde Park or visit Harrods (sorry Kimerley). Hyde Park is, after all, just a big park, Harrods a big shop and Kensington is not really central enough if you're there for such a short time. Rather I would choose things you wouldn't see anywhere else.<BR><BR>2) Stay somewhere like Bloomsbury/Covent Garden, which will enable you to walk around the bustling areas oc Covent Garden and Soho at night. You're not there long enough to bother much with the tube.<BR><BR>3) Yes, take a bus tour to see a general sweep of the sites. You might also consider taking the boat round-trip from Westminster Bridge (next to Big Ben/Houses of Parliament) to Tower Bridge (next to the Tower of London) and back, to see the river view of London.<BR><BR>4) Unless you an art or history fanatic, I would pick ONE museum so you don't wear youself out. Pick one that suits your interests - British Museum for ancient (Egyptian, Roman etc) artefacts, The National Gallery for a broad range of "traditional" art (renaissance, impressionist etc), Tate Modern if your taste is contemporary art, Tower of London for a fascinating historical site. These are the first main attractions that spring to mind, there are obviously many more, but each would take a good half day to do it justice.<BR><BR>4) WALK. Wander around Covent Garden and Soho, stop for coffee, do some shopping in the small boutiques and market stalls.<BR><BR>5) There are many restaurants in Covent Garden/Bloomsbury - buy a Hardens Guide and check on openings as some are closed on sunday.<BR>

elaine Apr 4th, 2001 05:00 AM

Without knowing your interests, it's hard to know what to suggest, but in <BR>1 1/2 days I would see the Tower of London for sure on Sunday, despite the crowds.<BR>On Monday take a walk from Trafalgar Square (visiting the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery if they appeal) to Westminster Abbey and spend some time in the Abbey if you are interested. You can continue walking down Whitehall past the Banqueting House<BR>(one of my favorites for its simple beauty, easily seen in a few minutes)<BR>and if the timing is right you could even see a Changing of the Guard at the Horse Guards. You could also continue walking along St James Park and make a<BR>stroll around Buckingham Palace.

Dave White Apr 4th, 2001 05:46 AM

Gina,<BR><BR>Here are some thoughts on a 24 hour London stopover:<BR><BR>I would stay in a very central spot downtown-someplace where you could walk to see many sights. There are a couple of hotels right in or near Westminster: The St. Ermine's hotel (now part of the "Jolly" Italian hotel chain) , the Sanctuary House (a Fullers Inn), the budget Travel Inn County Hall, the upscale Marriott County Hall, to name a few. <BR><BR>If the weather is good I would plan a walk around St. James's Park, to Buckingham Palace, along the Mall, to Whitehall, down to Westminster Abbey, to Parliament... This is one of the most inspiring walks in London.<BR><BR>A bus orientation tour is a possibility--a river cruise is also a good way to get a perspective on part of London. <BR><BR>I would avoid shopping--you can do that anywhere. Given the short length of your trip, you may want to forgo most museums too. The British Museum is almost too vast to shoehorn into a 1 day London visit, and while it is a stellar museum, you can visit museums in many other places. <BR><BR>One unique sight that should be on your list is the Tower of London..see the crown jewels, and take a tour lead by a Yeoman Warder. If you have time, a visit to Westminster Abbey is also a wonderful way to absorb some of the history of London. And to pick up a dose of British pomp and pagentry, see the changing of the mounted horse guards (Horse Guards Parade, Whitehall). <BR><BR>Hope this is helpful<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR>

Mel Apr 4th, 2001 11:57 AM

If you arrive mid-Sunday, you'll need to add a couple of hours to get from the airport to the hotel, check in, etc., so Sunday's basically shot (also, Harrod's is closed on Sunday &amp; the Tower of London doesn't open until 2:30pm). I'd suggest having dinner near your hotel then taking a walking tour (brochures at the hotel front desk), like Jack the Ripper, Literary pubs, etc.<BR>Monday get to the Tower of London around 9:00am (opens at 9:30), see the crown jewels then browse the towers on your own (no time for the wonderful Beefeater tour). Head to the V&amp;A or British Museum for the afternoon and that will about do it.