London 1 week itinerary

Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London 1 week itinerary

Hello! I'm traveling to London with my husband and two sons (ages 10 and 12). We have a six day London Pass with travel, my parents and grandparents bought it for us as a Christmas present. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Only my youngest son is a Harry Potter fan, so I didn't want to spend a whole day at the WB studios. So far, here's what we're thinking of doing:

Friday, March 25th: Arrive at 7:30am. Get to hotel, Doubletree Westminster, leave bags and go for a long walk. Early Evening do the London Eye Champagne Experience.

Saturday, March 26th: Original Soho Punk Rock Tour (11-1pm), Soho/Covent Garden, London Transport Museum, possibly the Clink museum, and at 6:00 pm go to St. Paul's Tube station/exit 2 to meet London Walks Tour guide for "Ghosts of the Old City" Tour.

Sunday, March 27th: Hampton Court Palace, then dinner/show at 6:15 at Medieval Banquet

Monday, March 28th: Tower of London, Tower Bridge Exhibition, Shakespeare's Globe Theater, and London Bridge Experience

Tuesday, March 29th: Early go to Westminster Abbey, at 2pm take the London Walks "Old Westminster Walks," Churchill War Rooms (walk ends there), then River Thames Cruise.

Wednesday, March 30th: Hop on Hop Off bus tour, 1pm meet at Traflagar Square for "Royal London Tarts and Tiaras" walk finishes at Buckingham Palace, maybe back on the Hop on Hop Off Bus...

Thursday, March 31st: Eating London East End Tour at 10am (3.5hr tour). The rest of the day is free.

Friday, April 1st: check out at noon and flight back to Baltimore is at 4pm.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well at least the London Pass was a gift and you didn't pay for it. (Don't tell your parents it was an overpriced mistake -- for you it is a bonus)

I personally wouldn't do the "Champagne Experience" unless it is fully covered by the LP. Just the regular ride is fine. Don't pre-plan this though -- it is VERY weather dependent. You won't want to ride in pouring rain or in overcast/misty weather.

I suspect several of your choices are based on having the LP - they would not be on most people's must list hen you are missing things like the British Museum (free), Natural History Museum (free), etc.

I'd ditch the Clink, Rock and Roll walking tour (will your kids even know most of the subjects which are mostly from the 60's-80's), Tower Bridge Experience, London Bridge Experience.

Take your Harry Potter fan to Kings Cross station and he can get a photo at platform 9 3/4

Medieval Banquet (where is this one -- at St Katharine's Marina?) I wouldn't bother.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hop-on-hop-off bus..... the use for this is to get a view of the city as you go around (actually the ordinary buses is great for this) there are some great TFL apps to use public transport, download a few and try before you come.

I really like Kings X, so much cooler than it used to be. Good for seeing HP and having photos taken, also stop off at Pancras Int next door and go upstairs to see the champagne bar etc, very atmospheric.

No V&A??

Banquet... imagine being pressed up against the party from Korea and the drunks from Norway, I might avoid
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Did I miss the Tower of London on your list?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:38 AM

At quick glance this looks like a reasonable pace and schedule (I'll try to look again this evening after work; I'm at lunch now).

You may want to consider London Dungeon if your sons might be keen on such a thing. Our daughters were 13 when we went and that was one of the experiences they RAVED about. There is some education involved, too, and it's very well done.

If you're interested, here's a link to the family trips we've made. Of interest, probably more than anything, will be the mistakes we made and learned from -- it might save you some stress. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ire-wteens.cfm

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:42 AM

I missed it the first read through too jamikins -- but it is there

I was on such a roll I forgot the H-o-H-o bus and bilboburgler's post reminded me. That would be a <u>total</u> waste of time on your last day. If one does take the H-o-H-o it is best on arrival day or early on. Normally it is very overpriced, but since your parents forked over for the LP - you get it for free, so not such a terrible idea.

But since it IS free to you, take it day 1 or 2 but feel free to ditch it if the kids get bored or you get stuck in traffic.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:48 AM

It seems like an awful lot of this is aimed at adults and would be boring to kids. I would definitely bag the faux banquet and try to get the kids to the Museum of Natural History, the British Museum (some of the ancient things are fascinating) and on at least one boat ride (perhaps to Greenwich to see the Prime meridian and the nautical museum). Definitely see Green Pak and St James Park and consider Hyde Park as well - the kids will need some time to run around.

Also have the kids look at the Let's Go student guide and determine some places that THEY want to see. This worked very well when we took our 11 and 14 year old DD the first time - and they explore some areas on their own (but slightly older than your kids).
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM

didn't see Kandace-York's post: >>You may want to consider London Dungeon<<

Not really possible since it went out of business in December.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:23 AM

Agree with either cancelling the London Eye Champagne experience or rescheduling to another day. You're going to be beat at the end of your first day in London.

Also agree with cancelling the Medieval Banquet or, if you are wedded to it, do it another day than when going to Hampton Court. If your day at Hampton Court is bright and sunny, take a boat back down the Thames to London rather than the train. It's a great experience and not very expensive.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:53 AM

One caveat regarding Platform 9 ( Harry Potter ) at Kings Cross, the line can get very,very long and, consequently, the wait.The best time to go would be first thing in the morning or late afternoon.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:27 AM

"Not really possible since it went out of business in December."

The internet says it's still open.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:04 AM

OOPs - you are right

I went into some sort of brain fade . . . It was Vinopolis that closed down (the ONLY similarity are they are both on the south bank) . . .

But is <i>still</i> wouldn't spend time visiting when there are sooooooo many other places they are missing out on. The London Pass bites again.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Oh my.

London Bridge Experience is a bunch of campy nonsense. So is Medieval Banquet. You have the EXACT SAME BLOODY THING in Baltimore but it's called Medieval Times. You may pay the same price in dollars in Bal'mer as you'll shell out in pounds in London.

The HOHO bus is a waste - you'll have been in London for days by then and can see the city by bus on the 9 or 15 lines. I guess the only reasonable part of having it on your list is that you have the London Pass. Just remember: traffic in Central London SUCKS. There's entirely too much of it for the city's capacity. This is because its avenues are not straight (seriously, check a street map - the streets twist and turn like rivers), its streets are not grids, and the width of them is not comparable to what you'll find even in Baltimore's 'burbs.

Here is a SMALL list of the Museums in London that charge you NO ADMISSION FEE - for which the London Pass is worthless:

Tate Britain
Tate Modern
National Gallery
National Portrait Gallery
National Maritime Museum (in Greenwich)
V&A
Museum of London
Science Museum
British Library
British Museum
Imperial War Museum (you have two sons age 10 and 12 and this isn't on your list?????????)

More ideas here: http://www.timeout.com/london/museum...eums-in-london

And your hobbits might like http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM

I do fear a lot of your itinerary is formed around making the most of those dratted London Passes

Your folks did a nice thing -- but in a lot of ways it will screw things up if you try to maximize using the passes. What I would do -- go to the few major sites covered by the LP that are on most people's 'must' lists. Things like the Tower of London (Not the bridge experience), Westminster Abbey, Hampton Court Palace, Maybe the Globe . . . but after those -- just stick the passes away and go see things that make more sense.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:10 PM

Tina, I arrive with my husband and boys (11 and 13) on the same day you arrive, and leave on the 31st. I'm sure our paths will cross!

The items on our to-see list that aren't on yours already are the Royal Mews, the British Museum, the British Library, Millennium Bridge, St. Paul's Tour, the Tate Modern, the City of London Museum, and the SkyGarden. I know it sounds like a lot, but we'll do the "fast" version of these museums. I'm always amazed at how much they pick up by visiting a place and not reading all of the material. I think they may retain information by osmosis these days!

We are not planning to tour the inside of Westminster, do the London Eye, the Tower Bridge Experience, the Soho Tour, or the Banquet. It's not that we don't want to do those things- it was just a time/money thing. I'm also not going to do an afternoon tea as I don't think the boys will dig it, and hope they will come back when they are a little older. If the weather is good, I hear the fast boat rides on the Thames are popular.

I hope that's helpful, and know you'll have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 04:15 AM

I cannot see any parks in you plans, are you going to visit any? I would recommend Natural History Museum and V&A Museum. They are located really close (and also close to Hyde park and Royal Albert Hall), one has a very beautiful building and dinosaurs skeletons inside and another has an amazing collection of art all over the world. There is also Science Museum nearby, if you are interested.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I'm taking it all in and re-working an itinerary. Planning is actually a lot of fun : ) I really enjoy reviewing this forum!
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 03:20 AM

About your Pass-driven itinerary--it seems you planned that pretty wisely, grouping things by neighborhood/area and not stuffing your days too full. And it's wise to not have any thing definite planned from your must-see list for day of arrival, as things happen with delays and glitches, so it's best not to set up for big disappointment or the need for lots of re-arranging. Best case will definitely get you to your hotel before lunch--and probably before check-in so plan for maybe not being able to get in your rooms (but of course can drop your luggage.)

I would urge, along with many others here, that you definitely add the British Museum; it is a wonder and not to be missed.

We actually liked the Tower Bridge Experience, using a 2 for 1 discount; you get to see some of the engineering and there is a lot geared to kids the age of yours--and you get to walk along the top for great views (weather dependent). Also, you can google Tower Bridge openings and see a list of scheduled times when the lift actually is in operation and maybe plan to be nearby during this. It's fast and pretty cool to watch.

DD in her 20s and I loved the Churchill War Rooms, so definitely go if it works. But for kids the age of yours the Imperial War Museum might be even more fun--it's just a little harder to get to but worth the effort.

As janisj says, planning your itinerary around the Pass limits you; planning around your interests and such will be more satisfying; the Pass will get your entrances covered to sounds like most of the must-sees that cost and you can still include other biggies that are better and often free.

And just from the titles, I kinda wonder about the tours you have chosen; I imagine they are things from the Pass, but I'd research a little. Unless the descriptions say differently, walking tours are most likely aimed at adults. Which may be fine in y'all's case--not a comment on your kids, just a comment on the nature of such tours and what will be interesting and best for all 4 of you.

Since you are saving some by having entrances to several things that are great covered/reduced by the Pass, maybe you can plan for a few other things that are pricey--like maybe a play? Theatre in London is terrific. They might like Warhorse or a musical?

I attended the Medieval Banquet when I went with DD on a school group tour (I went as a parent). The kids had a lot of fun, and we were such a large group that we filled up our own little section. But there were a lot of raucous drinking going on in the rest of the big hall, and it is crowded, campy, and noisy. Which I guess is pretty "authentic" (ha) but as a family with kids I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it. I think it's geared toward big tour groups.

I'd consider the Museum of London, too, early on maybe; it's very kid-friendly. (10 and 12 age kids, too)

If you go into St. Paul's (does cost) on a nice day, the kids would probably love climbing to the dome for spectacular views.

One other idea--of course you can, as you see, fill up your days in London and in some ways barely scratch the surface. There's enough to do for months and months! But you MIGHT consider a day trip, like to Oxford which has Harry Potter-themed walks (plus lots of Tolkien and C.S.Lewis ties, if they like Lord of the Rings or Narnia) or a day trip is possible to Salisbury from where you catch a bus to see Stonehenge. As I said, you can completely fill your time in London with a great variety of things, and I don't know your family's personality or travel-style, but just suggesting that a day-trip is possible.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 07:00 AM

>>We actually liked the Tower Bridge Experience,<<

Me too - I just think on a short trip like this it wouldn't (shouldn't ??) take time from other more 'important' sites.

I've been 3 times over the years - but the last two I was able to by-pass the "Experience' bits and go straight up to the walkway.

But whatever you do, pleeeeeze skip the London Bridge Experience. It is basically a Horror House (maybe appropriate for a Halloween trip???) - I honestly don't understand people spending thousands of $$$$/££££ to visit one of the most historic/vibrant/interesting cities anywhere . . . and going to schlocky places like the Dungeon and Tower Bridge Experience.

And yes, definitely try to squeeze in a play or musical or two.