Loire Valley Hotel's and B&B ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Loire valley in June and was hoping to get some suggestions on where to stay. Not to exspensive. Is two days enough there?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:56 AM

We loved our five-night stay at this attractive B&B located near Azay-le-Rideau:

http://www.lagrangebleue.com/

and I think two days is barely enough!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:11 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed in Langeais at a hotel called either Anne de Bretagne or Duchesse Anne. Demi-pension was 100 euro for two. Nothing fancy but it had just been renovated and I would stay there again. If the weather is nice, dinner in the garden is very pleasant. On that trip we passed through the Loire with two sets of friends. Different people, but my impression is that both sets had enough chateaux with the 3 or four that we saw. So two days might be enough, especially if you will be seeing small towns and countryside elsewhere.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:17 AM

I would highly recommend that you use Amboise as your base in the Loire valley. Not only is it a very pretty town with a number of great historical sites of its own, it has a nice selection of hotels and makes an easy base for getting to the main châteaux, assuming that's what you want to see.
The Lion d'Or is a nice, moderately priced hotel we've stayed in there, but others will have other suggestions.

If two days is all you have, then so be it. If you have the option of spending more, that would be great, but it would be helpful to know where else you're going so as to make the best of your itinerary.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:47 AM

http://www.fiefgentil.fr.fm/ is the website of the B&B in which we stayed last summer. We loved the hosts, Ann and Roger, who both speak English, the room, and it was close to everything we wanted to see. Ann is a fabulous cook, so plan to eat there one night (she needs advance notice). They can help you plan your time there, and they are more than happy to help with reservations for dinner. I think their prices are quite reasonable.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:21 AM

I second the idea of Amboise. We used the Manoir les Minimes - wondeful. It may be found at
http://www.manoirlesminimes.com/
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Amboise and Blois are terrific towns and good areas to base yourself for a two-day stay. If you were staying 4 or more days, I'd suggest spreading out a little farther west. We spent a week in the countryside outside Chinon, and loved every minute. Enjoy!