Loire Valley and Dordogne

Feb 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Loire Valley and Dordogne

I just had another thought for getting to the Dordogne - can someone please give me your thoughts on this. Instead of flying from London to either Bergerac, Bordeaus or Toulouse what if we rented a car right from London, drove to the Loire Valley via the Chunnel, stayed for a couple of days in the Valley and then drive on down to the Dordogne. We would stay there for 5 days, drop the rental off somewhere and then take the train up to Paris and fly home from there? How does that sound? Is two full days in the Loire Valley enough to just get a taste?
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I just responded on your other thread, but I think that flying from London to any of the airports you mention would be the easiest alternative.

In my opinion, two days in the Loire valley would be fine for a taste.
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM

My suggestion on the other post makes more sense. If you rent a car in England, your steering will be on the wrong side for continental driving. And you are adding unnecessary expenses to your trip. BTW, if you are only two travelers and go Ryanair and stay within the luggage limits, you probably can rent the smallest car available; its trunk will be sufficient for your luggage.
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM
ira

Hi M,

The steering is on the wrong side, there will be a very large drop off fee, they might not let you take the car out of the UK.

If you want to drive, rent the car in France not the UK.

Do you have a problem with flying?

FYI: It is much easier to help you if you keep all of your questions on the same thread.
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Calais to Loire is a full day's travel, wrong side or road etc. Suggest if you want to do this crazy thing stay away from the Paris ring road, go down the Rouen motorway route.