Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Loire Valley - 3 day itinerary help (including wine and birthday)!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm slowly piecing together my trip to France for two weeks with my Mother and am onto the Loire Valley leg of our journey (previous post for Provence was great, thanks to all!). We will be there for three days, arriving on a Tuesday and leaving on Friday, planning to stay in Amboise at Hotel Le Manoir les Minimes. We are interested in seeing the chateau's, Chenonceau and Villandry are on the list, but would also like to enjoy some of the wine of the region. Also, it's my Mother's birthday, the Wednesday we are there, so I'd like to do something special, maybe a cool tour, a wine lunch, or spa (no hot air balloon she's not fond of heights). My goal for the three days is to try to visit a chateau early, then stop for lunch and/or wineries in the general area in the afternoon. Any suggestions? Also any other thoughts on where to stay (under $250 if possible but something nice since this is the bday hotel), we’re not tied to Le Manoir les Mimes.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 04:38 AM

Here's something special: http://lechevalblancblere.fr

I would have a lovely lunch here. And you might consider staying there as well, instead of tourist-central Amboise (I'm fond of Amboise, but let's just say it was a LOT more pleasant 15-20 years ago).
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On one of our visits to the Loire, we stayed in Loches and we were easily able to drive either way along the Loire to see the sights.

Went to a concert at the castle, but didn't spend enough time in the town itself.

Very old town and castle.

booking.com/loches
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:45 AM

I'm not sure when you're going. I take it you'll have a car.

The village of Chedigny does not pay me to say this, but I have to tell you, it's one of the prettiest villages in France, the only village in France classified as a Jardin Remarquable. In May-June it's full of roses in bloom but it's still very pretty at other times of the year. Very tiny village--the flowers and the houses are the main attraction. And it has a good restaurant, Le Clos aux Roses.

Wherever you go for the birthday lunch, you'd need to reserve. I'd use viamichelin and do a restaurant search in the area around where you'll be staying. You might want a one-star restaurant for this special occasion, but we've been very happy with the Bib Gourmand designation because we only care about the food and don't enjoy being fussed over.

Another thought--if you are willing to go as far south as Buzancais, there is a lovely hotel with a very good restaurant, L'Hermitage. It's our favorite restaurant in that part of France.

I'm sure you and your mother will have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reminder Coquelicot! We will be there in late September and we will have a car.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With over 1000km of the loire you've chosen just a small bit to visit.

Saumur is a good visit, a small water front town, behind (and across a bit) which sits one of Europe's largest monestries. the local wines are based on Cab Franc and Chenin Blanc while to the East you eventually hit Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot country while Muscadet beckons to the West.

Most wine villages will have a central tasting building with a small fee, Degustation signs are in many places but if you are not planning on buying bottles you should at least buy corkscrews etc if no charge is made. Saumur's tasting house is on the docks for instance and I think they do a 5 and 10 euro tasting.

You'll also find fizzy and sweat wines, old sweet chenin is sublime.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bilboburgler, I know it's a large area and not a lot of time, we are just hoping to see what we can and make notes for future visits. Right now I think Saumur is on our list, as well as Vouvray and Chenin. Would you say that would give us a good variety (realizing it won't even make a dent in what's all out there)? We don't want to do all red, or all white, etc., but taste what each area is more known for.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 07:23 AM

You may wish to add Chinon to your list
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, yes, I meant Chinon not Chenin.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well each of the three towns is easy to get to. Saumur opens up the CFranc of Saumur and Saumur Champigny (which Parisians quaff) Vouvray offers fizz and sweet/dry Chenin (Chenin only really comes into its own after 10 years), both of these are easy to visit and do regular tastings etc.

Chinon (again CF) is not my favorite as I find they tend to do the over tannin/dry stuff that some people like to stick in their cellars (big in the States I understand) I'd look at Bourgeuil or St Nich de Bourgeuil both of which have a general tasting room somewhere around. I think these two make better wine but you takes your money and ..
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input!