Loire area to provence area

Oct 8th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Loire area to provence area

Planning our next trip. how long - roughly would it take to drive from one area to another. realize it depends exactly where. Is a train possible. would like to have a car in each area.

thanks
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Depending on your exact point of departure and exact destination, it would take about 5-8 hours of driving. To take a train you'd probably want to get to Tours or some fairly sizeable town and connect with the TGV in Lyon and continue to Avignon - at least that would be the fastest way. You could rent two cars, one in each location, but it would almost certainly be less expensive to make one rental for a longer period.
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM

We made the drive from Amboise to Orange and as I remember it was about 4 to 5 hours at most. We took the senic route in some areas and stopped along the way. From Orange we drove to Aix which was a longer drive. Go to the via Michelin web site and you can plot driving times.
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:09 PM

I doubt that the drive is only 4 to 5 hours. A look at a map of France shows me that Annecy to Paris is about the same as Amboise to Orange, and that drive (via Langres and Troyes) took 6 hours with a lunch stop at a speed of 140 to 150 kph.
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:51 PM

We drove the route from St. Remy in Provence to Tours on a Saturday in mid-September with no traffic. We used the toll routes almost exclusively and drove fast and it took us about 8 hours. My husband thought he could do it in 6 because he drives like a crazy person, but it even took him 8 hours.
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:13 PM
sandi

rlbplf -

Did I read correctly that it took longer than 4-5 hrs. from Orange to Aix? Where you standing still? Or how many stops along the way?

Aix to St.Remy is a little over an hour (60 miles), on Peage and National Roads; from St. Remy to Orange (about 35 miles, max) on National Roads is a little less than an hour. Figure total 2-1/2 hrs.

Oct 9th, 2003, 09:34 AM

And this is an example of why one shouldn't rely on memory alone. After I thought about it later I remembered the drive to Orange was longer than 5 hours and the drive to Aix was much shorter. Sorry for the confusion on my part, but hopefully using the viamichelin web site resolved the issue.