logistics of returning rental car before we get to Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I finally have my itinerary planned and lodgings almost all booked, it's time to think about rental cars. We land in Shannon, where we will pick up a car for our 11 night trip with our two teens. We fly out of Dublin. Our last stop before Dulbin is going to be Kilkenny for two nights.

I know we do not want to have a car in Dulbin and will not need it for our two night stay at the Westbury. So I thought we would drop it off near the hotel when we arrive. Does anyone know which auto dealers have offices walking distance from the Westbury?

Or, I even wondered if we might drop it off in Kilkenny and then take a train into Dublin from there. I think we will be staying at Butler HOuse in Kilkenny, near the castle.

Any advice/ info is appreciated.

My next question is wondering about car sizes. I don't want anything too big, but since the four of us will be spending a lot of time in the car, it might be nice to upgrade to something fun to drive. And we will need to fit our luggage in the trunk/boot, so that's a consideration. I'm thinking of buying duffels for everyone since our 27" suitcases can be hard to fit in a trunk.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention it will be a Sunday when we travel from Kilkenny to Dulbin if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:39 AM

After spending the last 8 or 9 days driving around Ireland I think that you will be fine taking your car to Dublin to drop it off there. And you will definitely not need to drop it off early in Kilkenny beforehand. You could take it to the Dublin airport, where most of the main rental car agencies are, and that would keep you out of Dublin itself -- stay on the M50 around the city and exit where it shows rent car returns. Then you can grab a cab or bus/CityLink into Dublin and be dropped off at the Westbury or darn close to it. I think that that is the way I'd do with the four of you.

One year we visited Ireland and my parents decided to meet us there. We spent 10 days with them driving around and sightseeing. For that we rented a Volvo S40 which had loads of room for four adults plus luggage. It's a nice safe car and easy to drive, too. We try to rent that caliber of car when driving in Ireland each time we return now (this year we reserved an BMW. Woo hoo!) and it's usually just the two of us. It's great to have that little bit extra luxury and for not that much more in price (renting a manual/stick shift will help keep the cost of having a bigger car down.)

Check out this web site:

http://www.oratory.com/onebag/home.html

for great advice on keeping the contents of your luggage light. And remember to bring an extra bag or two (or leave room in the ones you bring) for all the great stuff you are gonna want once you arrive.

Safe travels,

Wendy

[email protected]
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Hi bucky:

Wendy is right about dropping off the car at the airport. It's the easiest. There are a number of rental agencies that have city center drop offs but I would go with the agency that has the best deal. The other thing to remember is that it is not particularly difficult to find your way OUT of Dublin, but finding the rental agency as you drive in could be much more challenging.

With four people, your best deal may be a cab from the airport and that will drop you right at the door.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice on dropping the car at the Dublin airport. I had considered that and it does sound to be the easiest.

I also like the idea of renting a bit nicer car. We'll be spending so much time in it I think it would be more enjoyable for us all. In our travels in the U.S. we had always rented a minivan because we have 3 kids. Then when our oldest went to college and we took our first trip with just the four of us, we were excited to get a smaller car... until we discovered some of our luggage wouldn't fit in the trunk! The kids had to ride with a suitcase between them in the back seat. It did serve as a handy barrier to designate their territory!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Waffle18,
Who did you rent the Volvo through?I am doing research on a car rental for this April.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM

bucky,

Your comments about designated territory by luggage in the back seat made me chuckle as it brought back a few childhood memories! "Are we *there* yet?"

Yes, we do enjoy the bigger cars though it's also from a safety point of view. There seem to be more cars as well as bigger trucks on the roads in Ireland these days and we've had too many close calls in a VW Polo or Ford Opal to want to risk it again. Many folks will tell you that for cost, price of gas and the small roads there to get the smallest car you can. And while that does make a lot of sense I think I'd rather risk the scraped side mirrors for better odds of surviving a full on collision. Of course, not having any accidents but enjoying the luxury is also a plus!

Lovejoy -

We rented our Volvo (and BMW for that matter) thru RentACarIreland. We call them directly, though they do have a web site - just add '.com' to the end of the name. They have a certain class of car that includes Volvos, BMWs, Mercs, etc. They will give you what is available in that class when you arrive. RentACarIreland gets their cars only from Hertz so you could go through Hertz directly if you'd like.

Don't let any company give you an Alfa Romeo as an upgraded, Class "Whatever" car. Last time our "upgraded" car was one of those which was nice enough to drive but not nearly as safe or sturdy as we would have liked.

Hope this helps some,

Wendy