Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Logistical advice Milan-Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/logistical-advice-milan-switzerland-328546/)

Hagan Jun 18th, 2003 04:53 AM

Logistical advice Milan-Switzerland

Assuming I'll find afordable airfare to Milan in September, what would be the best place to stop and unwind before heading into Switzerland by rail? Lake Como is on our itinerary, either at beginning or end of trip for several nights. What town on the lake offers public transport to Switzerland? If we do Como at end of trip, we're thinking maybe Lugano after arrival, if it doesn't take TOO much effort after overnight flight!

We're planning to stay in Murren or Wengen 3-4 nights, Lucerne 1-2 nights, and just not sure of the rest! We'll have 10 days, not counting flight days. Any suggestions out there? I've checked the threads, but can't seem to work out this trip. It's our first time to Switzerland. Thanks for your help.

jmw Jun 18th, 2003 05:01 AM

I envy you, Hagan. Is there any chance you could land in Milan and leave from Geneve or Zurich? I know nothing about prices; I'm a dreamer. The reason I mention the split is because French Switzerland is the one area you didn't mention.

To me, the perfect introduction to Switzerland includes days spent in Ticino (Lugano and its lake villages), Lucerne (picture postcard Swiss city and magnificent blue-green lake), the Oberland (lakes Thun, Brienz, and your mountain villages), and then the Lavaux vineyards of Lac Leman (Geneve's lake)--with delightful villages plus a castle or two and opportunities for more treks into the hills (Chateau d'oex, for example.) I could go on and on. With these four areas you'll hear different languages, see different architecture, and eat different foods. yum. p.s. All areas and sites accessible by extraordinary Swiss trains and buses. J.

bobthenavigator Jun 18th, 2003 05:13 AM

Lugano is the perfect starting point to unwind. Save Como for the last, and come back to Lugano by train and then an hour bus ride to Mennagio on the west shore of Como. Have fun !

jmw Jun 18th, 2003 05:33 AM

Hi again, I notice that there's an 11:10 from Milan that reaches Lugano an hour later. Other hourly trains take about an hour and a half. (from sbb.ch website) I tried to research from Malpensa to Menaggio, but the Italian train site got the better of me and in 5 minutes I was pulling my hair out. Help, Bob? Every town I tried to plug in came up 'no such place'. Is there one central Italian train site that is as easy to navigate as the sbb? my guess is no way. J.

Hagan Jun 18th, 2003 05:36 AM

Thanks for the quick responses! Bob, can we get to Lugano from Malpensa, or do we have to go through Milan? Then Lucerne, then Murren? Would that be the best order?
JMW, thanks for your imput on the western area. My husband and I would love to include it, but guess we'd have to get decent open-jaw rates Milan-Zurich or Geneva. Or would it be very difficult to get back to Como area from Montreux?

bobthenavigator Jun 18th, 2003 05:40 AM

The train site for Italy is www.trenitalia.com but you will not train to Mennagio. Trains run to Como and Varenna on the lake, but the best way to Mennagio is by bus from Lugano or from Malpensa via Como. You can also train to Como and hydrofoil to Mennagio.

Hagan Jun 18th, 2003 05:50 AM

Bob,we've taken the bus from Malpensa to Como on a previous trip, so I'm familiar with that part of it, but do we also have to go through Como to get to Lugano from Malpensa? That's where I'm confused. We're trying to go directly to Lugano after the inbound flight, then save Como area for last part of trip.

jmw Jun 18th, 2003 06:03 AM

That's my question, too. I couldn't get either the Swiss or the Italian train site to give connections from Malpensa to Lugano. (or for that matter, Malpensa to Como) Unless, of course, Malpensa is not the correct place name? I guess this is why I always fly into and out of Zurich? The hassle defeats my desire for low-stress travel. Bob?

jmw Jun 18th, 2003 06:07 AM

And to your other question, it is quite a trek from Lac Leman to Como, though a pretty route from Montreux to Locarno. As funny as it may seem, I'd route Lugano, then Murren, then the Lavaux, then Lucerne, and back down to Como. But that's only because I found the trip from Montreux to Locarno tiring, and that's not even all the way to Menaggio. Others will disagree. J.

Ingo Jun 18th, 2003 06:14 AM

Hagan,

for transportation from Malpensa to Lugano I found this website very helpful: http://www.busexpress.com/shuttle.asp

There are also three buses per day operating by the Swiss Postal Buses from M. to L.

What if you would go from Lugano via Bellinzona - Locarno - Centovalli train - Domodossola - Brig to Montreux? And after two days or so head toward Wengen/Mürren, then Lucerne and from there to Como?

jmw Jun 18th, 2003 06:18 AM

I've had too much coffee this morning. That's far too many stops for a ten-day trip. Better to forget almost everything I've said about the lavaux, unless you'd care to combine Lucerne and Murren into one stop. If economy is important, it would be best to stay in one spot for three nights for a better price usually. Besides, it's more restful that way. My last ten-nighter in Switzerland was Rivaz in the lavaux, Leissigen on Thunersee at the foot of the mountains, and then Lago Maggiore. Very nice pace. Just tell yourself you'll be back, and narrow down our suggestions to three. I feel your pain. J.

Hagan Jun 18th, 2003 08:25 AM

Ingo, do you know if there's a direct train from Milano Centrale to Lugano? On the rail maps I've pulled up, it looks like the Cisalpino does, but it's sort of hard to tell. I know it goes from Chiasso, wherever that is! I'm like you, JMW, it's all seeming very complicated. And, like you, my husband and I want this to be as stress-free and relaxing as possible. That's why he refuses to drive there. There's nothing like traveling with a tired, frustrated spouse who has to endure a grueling travel day after flying all night!! Been there, done that. Joyce

Hagan Jun 18th, 2003 08:44 AM

I think I may have answered my own question! I found the Raileurope site and went point-to-point for schedules. The Cisalpino does go direct from Milano Centrale to Lugano, as well as hourly intercity trains, so that may solve the first-day problems.
Also found Montreux direct to Brig, then change train to Lugano for return to Como area at end of trip. We'll just see if we can make this work. Will keep you updated. Joyce

jmw Jun 19th, 2003 05:12 AM

Hi Joyce! I hope you're finding this planning stage to be enjoyable!

Ingo! Welcome back, kiddo! I love the itinerary you suggested, but that's only two nights in each place. How about this for a relaxed version (if you can find a flight you can afford -- ha-ha, the catch): Land in Geneve and relax along the lavaux; then train to somewhere between the Jungfrau and Lucerne (like Brienz on Brienzersee or --here's a new one--Lungern on Lungernsee, from which you can daytrip to Grindelwald, Murren, and Lucerne; then finally move on to either lake Lugano or lake Como, and daytrip to the other one. That's down to three stops! Remember, the more days you stay in one place, the less expensive usually and the more relaxing it feels. (IMHO, as you cool people write) Of course, this itinerary means you'll need to love daytripping by train, but I've always thought it was great fun, especially with those wonderful Swiss trains (and buses and lakeboats!)

Now, if fate is not kind, and you cannot do an into-Geneve and out-of-Malpensa, I'd vote for Ingo's itinerary, but with the Oberland/Lucerne combo I described above. Have I mentioned, Joyce, that no matter what you decide to do, this is going to be a spectacular trip? You cannot make a mistake, all options are wonderful! Affectionately, J.

infinity Jun 21st, 2003 03:42 PM

"If we do Como at end of trip, we're thinking maybe Lugano after arrival, if it doesn't take TOO much effort after overnight flight!"

Like you, I have pondered where to stay after arrival in Milan en route to Switzerland, that would not take TOO much effort after an overnight flight.

After much research I decided on Lugano. This decision was based largely on the fact that I would not have to get to my destination via Milan Central Station to Lugano.

Like one of the poster's before me, I discovered the busexpress.com website. According to the website, the Malpensa Express takes several trips daily from both terminal one and terminal two at Malpensa, directly to Lugano. The cost is 20 euro's.

I leave for Switzerland via Milano on June 24, 2003 and will return on July 3, 2003. I will try to remember to come back to this site to inform you whether or not the trip to Lugano via Malpensa Express went smoothly.

Lori

jmw Jun 22nd, 2003 05:27 AM

I'll be interested in your impressions, too. I really think you'll love Lugano. Will you be there long enough to lakeboat to Gandria and Morcote? Great little villages, if you don't mind company. J.

infinity Jun 22nd, 2003 10:51 AM

J.

We will be in Lugano for 2 nights ---though the first full day and night I am wiped b/c of the overnight flight and no sleep. This will leave us one full day in Lugano and I want to take full advantage of it. Not sure yet what to do. Playing it by ear. Though probably a lake excursion will be included. Any suggestions?
Lori

bobthenavigator Jun 22nd, 2003 11:59 AM

Take the boat trip down to Morcote et al and also the funicular up Mt Bre. You will like Lugano.

jmw Jun 22nd, 2003 02:49 PM

Hi, I can relate to that hung-over feeling the first day. Maybe you can stroll the lakeside and along the arcaded street that runs from the town square to S.Maria degli Angioli -- In that church there is the most memorable fresco (if you like that sort of thing; I do). And I think I agree w/Bob, Morcote (S.Maria del Sasso, S.Antonio of Padova chapel, tombs on a terrace above) is very impressive. J.