Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lodgings in Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lodgings-in-sorrento-745543/)

janjanjan Oct 29th, 2007 06:05 PM

Lodgings in Sorrento

Several of you have given us excellent itinerary advice, and we're solidifying our trip. We'll be in Sorrento for 4 days in early May. I'm baffled by the difficulty in finding lodging. I've read numerous horror stories about virtually every moderate to expensive hotel in and near town. There are a couple of extremely expensive hotels which get only rave reviews, but we'd like to pay 200 Euro or less per night, and that range seems to have the most variables. A single establishment will have 85% 5 star reviews with a healthy dose of 1 star ratings and horror stories about being bumped to far less desireable lodgings, even with early bookings. People seem to have either superlative experiences--so good that they're hard to believe--or they are treated terribly.

We'd strongly prefer staying someplace we could walk to something. It looks like some of the establishments are withing walking distance of small villages with fewer restaurants, for example. That's just fine with us--we don't need to be in downtown Sorrento. But we don't want to be cooped up in a hotel room with no realistic abiity to go out for a nice dinner, or even a stroll around.

We don't care about beach or pool. We strongly desire a room with a balcony, preferably with a decent view.

We plan to tour the area, and don't presently plan to have a car, preferring public transportation.

I looked at a couple of B&Bs, thinking this might be a good compromise. But, I've seen reviewers who were bumped from their B&B and ended up in an entirely different establishment.

A flat might also work for us, but we're only staying 4 nights.

We have friends who loved La Tonnarella, but this place has far more stories about people being treated poorly than most.

Lodgings in this town remind me of the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead--either very, very good, or just awful.

I know this board has many folks with tons of experience and I appreciate any and all help.

dorkforcemom Oct 29th, 2007 06:19 PM

We stayed in Sorrento for 5 nights last October. We chose to stay at Antiche Mura, based on reviews from Tripadvisor. While it didn't have the ocean view, I was willing to forego this aspect in favor of all the other positive ones. We weren't disappointed and I'd stay there, again.

The location was ideal, we were able to get our ocean view fix from drives down the amalfi coast, boat trip to Capri, restaurants, walks, etc.

I don't know if this helps or not. I admit, I'm very selective when it comes to accomodations. To me, it's much more than "just a place to sleep".

Happy planning - I just know you're going to love Sorrento!

janjanjan Oct 30th, 2007 06:46 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll be watching for other ideas as well.

Squiggy Oct 30th, 2007 07:52 AM

Right next to La Tonnarella is the Settimo Cielo. We almost picked La Tonnarella when we went last summer but for the mixed reviews we went with Settimo Cielo instead and were happy we picked that place. We loved the hotel. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Caramia79 Nov 7th, 2007 09:00 AM

We stayed at the Antchie Mura for a couple of nights last November. I was not impressed. The standard room was terrible, black scuff marks on the walls, dingy, tiny. After much persistence we upgraded to some type of suite. It was better, larger, bright, nice windows with a tiny balcony to look out at the gorge, more character than the previous room. We of course paid extra for it! The breakfast was nice - lots of cakes -which was great for me. But, some others may feel as though it is more of a dessert bufett than breakfast! The location is good, right off a square with a nice gelato place. Close to the steps down to the water, and you can walk to the train station.

barsntone Nov 7th, 2007 11:27 AM

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks in Sorrento. After abandoning out apt. we found the Hotel Leone via the local tourist info center. HL is a small, nice,comfortable hotel with a complimentary breakfast. It is around the corner from the main street and everything is within walking distance. I think we paid about e80
w/breakfast. I don't know if they have a website. It is a no-frills, reasonable hotel.

mom5fay Nov 22nd, 2007 10:35 PM

Definitely the Antiche Muro!!!! Room 202

WillTravel Nov 22nd, 2007 10:38 PM

barsntone, I hope to hear more about the abandoned apartment. I hope you didn't lose much on that deal.

Holly_uncasdewar Nov 23rd, 2007 08:36 AM

Hotel Leone:

http://www.hotelleone.com

3 star. Looks good. Haven't stayed there.