Lodging near Shannon Airport

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging near Shannon Airport

We are looking for lodging options near Shannon Airport and would like to book ahead. A nice B&B(ensuite)or hotel located outside of Limerick to avoid city traffic. Carrygerry House Hotel was suggested and also Avarest Bunratty B&B. We need ground level accommodations or at least a place offering assistance with luggage if stairs are involved.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Bunratty Lodge http://bunrattylodge.com meets all your requirements. Headley Court http://headleycourt.net is also good but I don't know about ground floor rooms.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM

We have stayed at Bunratty Lodge and found it very comfortable and convenient.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you....I will check into these!
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM

bevan17 writes: >

You didn't specify when you would be there: Important if you are there in late May for Ennis' Fleadh Nua (Spring Music & Dance festival). Depends on where I'm coming from, if it's North I like Ennis: The Temple Gate Hotel has elevators; I'm not sure about the Old Ground Hotel. Our last trip we stayed at Rose Cottage B&B - Carmel Daniels will prepare an early breakfast if you have to be on your way to the airport.

Carmel also fixed us up with a room on the main floor and away from their Pub

If I'm coming from the South or Southwest I usually stay in Limerick City at one of the Hotels near the Bus/Rail station. That way we can catch the 7:45AM Bus to Shannon.
There are several nice Hotels along the Street leading out toward Shannon. One of them is Jury's but there's several Jury's Hotels in Limerick. Unfortunately, Hotel restaurant Staff don't start work until around 8:00AM but there's a Cafeteria on the Upper level at Shannon airport (opposite side from where the Duty Free shops are).
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM

We love Carreygerry House - a beautiful country house - but the good rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor. They can carry your bags for you but there are stairs.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I neglected to say that I have actually stayed at Bunratty Lodge and it was a most pleasant experience. Mary is a delightful hostess and the house is wonderful.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM

We also enjoyed Temple Gate. The location was very nice (Ennis' town center is small, so location isn't really a huge issue) and the staff were helpful and warm. I can't recall exactly, but I want to say it was about 20 min. from the airport. We also have stayed in the Limerick area before leaving, and many of the hotels are in a row outside the city center.

You might enjoy spending an afternoon and evening in Limerick, though. We did enjoy our last night in Ireland visiting the castle and then dining on local gourmet, but I can't recall the name of the restaurant off the top of my head. It was modern and sourced its food locally and organically and the presentations and tastes were excellent. I'll have to go look it up...
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM

You could always stay AT the airport. Great Southern Hotel is actually quite nice and, as far as hotels at airports go, is relatively cheap. The hotel is on the airport's grounds and a shuttle will take you to departures. You can get assistance with your bags easily and ground floor rooms are available.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM

The Great Southern Hotel Shannon was sold. Its now called teh Park Inn http://www.shannon.parkinn.ie. Hotel is pretty much the same as it was and still right beside the terminal building.