Lodging in Lausanne or Montreaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to spend 3 nights in the Vaud region in early September, and are debating whether to base ourselves in Lausanne or Montreaux. (we will have come from Geneva, and will go on to Interlaken afterwards). We are wondering what would be best. Does anyone have suggestions for a place that is inexpensive ($150 US or less per night). We are a family of 3 and absolutely must have a private bathroom.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I stayed in Vevey, the town next to Montreaux and between M. and Lausanne. It was a great location, right on the lake with a lovely promenade, and old town to shop and eat in and a fun Saturday (and Tues) market in the town square. Check out www.hotelnegociants.ch I think it will fit your needs. You can take a boat to any of the other towns on the lake or a train anywhere.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM

I would tend to agree with Vevey over Montreux although you may find more to see and do in Lausanne than in either of the others.

Transport along the northern shore of the lake is easy by rail between all of these places.

Do you have any particular reason you have suggested Lausanne and Montreux?
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

We know that there are several things we'd like to do in Lausanne, and we definitely want to go to the Chateau de Chillon and enjoy the lakefront in Montreaux. It just seemed like they both would have alot of choices, while still being close enough to visit Vevey, St. Saphorin, etc.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 03:29 AM

We, too, spent 4 nights at Hotel Negociants in Vevey in May 2009, and it was our favorite hotel and location of a 3 week trip. Rate (for 2) was 169.9CHF with breakfast. Their restaurant had excellent meals.

After reading many threads on this forum about the 3 towns, we were (pleasantly) surprised that Vevey is as large as it is. We took the train from the Vevey station to Chexbres and walked through the vineyards to St. Saphorin, then trained to Lausanne and took the ferry to Evian, France (1/2 hour each way: Evian has a lovely pedestrianised area a few blocks up from the lake. Evian also has much less expensive hotel rooms, and would make a good budget alternative to the Swiss towns if you had more time, as the ferry makes the trip across at least 4 times daily - the ferry was free with our Eurail Pass, and is also free with the Swiss Passes).

The Vevey Tourist Office is on the main square with all the parking, and is very helpful (we also used the T.I. in Lausanne, and they can sell you metro tickets without having exact change!).

The train from Vevey to Montreux is about 10 minutes. You can walk the lakeside promenade from Montreux to Chillon or take Bus No. 1 all or part of the way (that bus also makes the entire trip between Vevey and Chillon). It's a blue and white bus. When we boarded the bus, the driver said in rapid French: pay at the machine at the back (of the bus).

Transportation in that area is amazingly convenient, and any of the three cities is easy to travel from. Vevey is the flattest and most walkable of the three, and probably the easiest to frequently reach the train station from your hotel. There's a Migros grocery store in a an indoor mall across from the train station, and a Coop grocery next to the train station. For one of the less expensive "view of the lake alfresco dining" experiences, check out Pizza Taxi(it also had signs as Pizza 31) at 31/32 Quai Perdonnet - the street along the lake. They have a large wooden outdoor deck across from the lakeside walk, and offer pasta dishes, as well as pizzas.

You'll have a great time wherever you end up staying in this area!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lausanne is much larger and more spread out than either Vevey or Montreux. I looked at Hotel Elite (but plans changed and I stayed with friends). www.elite-lausanne.ch is near the train station.

In Montreux I like Hotel Helvetie. www.helvetie.ch It's an older "faded grandeur" kind of place right on the main street just a block in from the lake.

In Vevey Negotiants as already mentioned or Hostellerie de Geneva www.hotelgeneve.ch on the main square are good.