Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lodging in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lodging-in-grindelwald-or-lauterbrunnen-48031/)

Dakattak Jul 6th, 1999 03:43 PM

Lodging in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen

My wife and I are planning a trip to the berner oberland. We are considering two hotels Hotel Sonnenberg (120 ch.)and Hotel Fuischerblick (160 ch.). Is anyone familiar with these hotels or other ones in Grindelwald for about this price. I have noticed that it might be more economical to stay in Lauterbrunnen instead. We were quoted 100 ch for the Hotel Crystal in Lauterbrunnen. Any input would be most appreciated.

dan woodlief Jul 6th, 1999 03:47 PM

Not familiar with these hotels, but scroll down. There have been lots of posts on this part of Switzerland recently.

topper Jul 6th, 1999 05:19 PM

!

topper Jul 8th, 1999 05:04 AM

!

richard j. vicek Jul 8th, 1999 10:13 AM

Good afternoon, Dakattak <BR>If I had a choice it would be Grindelwald over Lauterbrunnen, as in <BR>Grindelwald you are there with lots of <BR>trails into the mountains, In Lauterbrunnen, will have to take the <BR>train somewhere or cablecar in order <BR>to start. At Wengen, you can hike directly up to Kleine Scheidegg or <BR>take the cable car up to Mannlichen <BR>and hike to Kleine Scheidegg. Take <BR>the gondolas down to Grindelwald(Grund) <BR>and take the cable car up Grindelwald <BR>First with a large number of trails <BR>even leading to the Schydige Platte <BR>and return by way of Widerswil. In Murren you can take a number of trails <BR>up the Schlithorn and Gimmelwald. <BR>Hotels search on <BR>www.swisshotels.ch/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>Tourism <BR>www.bernerobeerland.ch/ <BR>www.wengen.ch/ <BR>www.grindelwald.ch/ <BR>www.murren.ch/ <BR>www.jungfrau.ch/ <BR>www.schlithorn.ch/ <BR>www.backpacker.ch/Good surfing <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL.... <BR> <BR>

Les Jul 8th, 1999 10:32 AM

The several times we visited Grindelwald we stayed at the Gletcher Garten hotel. It's located at the far end of town (as you come from Interlaken), on the main street. Nice location, beautiful views, very pleasant rooms, friendly owners that remembered us after a 10-year absence. <BR>I don't remember the cost, but it seemed reasonable at the time. <BR>You should be able to locate it on the web. <BR>

Ed Jul 8th, 1999 06:17 PM

We'd much prefer Muerren to Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen. Much better views, more atmosphere, fewer tourists. Prices certainly no higher than Grindelwald. <BR> <BR>There are a couple of good buys in Lauterbrunnen, and I think we have one value recommendation in Grindelwald at http://twenj.com/swisshtlbo.htm as well as a full range of recommendations in Muerren. <BR> <BR>Wherever you stay, though, you'll love your visit. <BR> <BR>Ed

Bill Fleites Jul 8th, 1999 10:07 PM

I also prefer Muerren. It is a beautiful little village right next to and facing the Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger peaks. There you can catch the gondola up to the Schilthorn for an even closer and amazing look at the Swiss Alps. I stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss, and can highly recommend it. The rooms are very clean, large, and with modern bathrooms. Ask for a room facing the mountains for an awesome view of the mountains from the terrace. The hotel's email address is: [email protected]. Have a great time in Switzerland.

Jim Jul 18th, 1999 11:55 AM

Have been to this area about 5 times and find it to be our all time favorite. <BR>Lauderbrunnen is a beautiful spot...but a little quiet at night!!! We have stayed at Hotel Schutzen a few times and loved it. 120ch./night. Great food in their restaurant. [email protected] <BR>In Grindelwald we have stayed in both the Gletschergarten and Gletschertal(www.grindelwald.ch/gletschertal.html)hotels. They are about 200ch./night, but well worth it. <BR>Great hikes!!! Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is a must. First is great also. The hikes above Murren(the panoramic trail) are incredible and a must. The train to the Jungfraujoch is $$$ but worth it. I recommend you see it all and to heck with the money! Hope for clear skies!!! We hope to go again in Oct.e-mail for more info <BR>

Joyce Jul 18th, 1999 02:38 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Gletschergarten in Grindelwald. They are celebrating 100 yrs. I think all the rooms have balconies. Our front balcony room had fabulous view. The 200 ch includes meals..evening meal was several courses & worth price difference. Rm is cheaper without meal. Reservation requires that you book meal & room at same time. Tel.: 033/853-17-21 Fax:033/853-29-57 They gave guests a calendar of beautiful watercolors to celebrate their 100yrs. Enjoy your trip! <BR>

Anna Jul 18th, 1999 04:19 PM

Just got back from 2 weeks in and around the Berner Oberland. I'm sorry to report that the universally popular cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen was wiped out by last winter's avalanches. I found so many tourists in Grindelwald that it wasn't even a pleasant place to be, but maybe it is worse in the summer than at other times. I too loved Murren, but it is time consuming to come and go, unless you're hiking. However, Murren is so beautiful you wouldn't want to leave for several days!