Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lodging in Barcelona: somebody can help me?

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody!! I am willing to visit Barcelona for one week in September.I will be very pleased if some body can solve my confusion,actually I will be with my wife and son so in this circumstance which option will be better for us, hotel or apartment from all edges.
Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:53 AM

I have done both and an aprt works best for me. Cheack past posts as a number of posters have written about experiences with aptms in BCN.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; I think an apartment would be right for your family. In September, AC is needed. You should consider being close to either the Ramblas or the old Gothic area for location. Try http://www.vbro.com/vacation-rentals...unya/barcelona Dick
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM

im not sure which would be best for you, as it also depends on the age of your son. However, if you are interested in looking into a hotel, there are some pretty good deals out there. I am traveling to barcelona later this month and booked with the Hesperia chain of hotels. They have some rooms in Barcelona starting at 30 Euros a night. Not sure if youre interested, but its a good place to start if price is a consideration
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM

I would look into a Hotel as opposed to an apt. I lived in Barcelona for a summer and my flat was smaller than many of the the hotel rooms of people who visited me, and some even offer complementary breakfast (meaning coffee and bread). Most of the touristy stuff is around las ramblas so anything in that area is going to be MUCH more expensive. Regardless I would look for something further out in the Exiempla but close to a metro line. All the lines run into the same hub at the top of las ramblas and from there you can walk to a lot of the sites, even the beach!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM

We always stay in apartments for more than 3 nights.

Depends what one can afford. The range of hotel and apt.
prices varies greatly - you get what you pay for!
Some people like services offered by hotel staff( cleaning, information, taxis), we like to have space and coffee 'at home" first thing in the morning.

Ramblas is a tourist trap and an unattractive place IMO, I will never understand what people see there compared to the rest of the beautiful city.
We rented from Habitats twice ( in different locations) and were pleased with both apartments..

http://www.habitatapartments.com
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM

An apartment is usually the best choice because it has more space, offers full kitchen facilities and costs no more. Plus - a big plus - you live in a neighborhood not in tourist central.
Try bcngotic.com, there is a wide range of sizes and prices and it's convenient to many attractions and the metro. We've stayed there and can recommend it. Tell Mar we sent you!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Are you interested in DOING daily housekeeping? Do you want a pool?

Since you ARE a tourist I assume that being in so-called "tourist central" rather than in some neighborhood where it is rather doubtful you are going to meet and get cozy with many locals might not be such a bad thing but to each their own
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Location in Barcelona is very important, since you can just be in the city center, or in a kind of relax city center!! My experience in barcelona was superb because of that reason. Try this hotel: http://www.hduquesadecardona.com/home.php
It's near everything, and in front of the port. Close to the Ramblas, but not in the Ramblas, very important, since this avenue is very nice during the day, but during the night is full of prostitutes and burglers