Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lodging help in Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lodging-help-in-barcelona-884392/)

NGB100656 Mar 30th, 2011 03:53 AM

Lodging help in Barcelona

My family (husband and daughters age 23, 20 and 17) will be in Barcelona in late June. I am trying to finalize our lodging, and could use some advice. We are trying to spend no more than $200US per room per night (my husband would like to spend less!). The Hotel Regina and Catalones Catedral have been recommended to us, but they are at the top of our price range. (but definitely have the look and feel we are after) We are also looking at apartments. We are focusing on staying in Barrio Gotico or El Born. Is anyone familiar with Music I, III, V Apartments? Do you know of any other apartments worth considering? Any other recommendations of nice hotels in that area, not quite as pricey as those I've listed? Thank you so much!

ekscrunchy Mar 30th, 2011 04:01 AM

We paid 165 euro per night for a gorgeous two-bedroom/two-en-suite bath apartment within an easy (under 10 minutes) walk of the Gothic Quarter, just off Placa Catalunya. Since I assume that you are seeking two rooms at under $200 each, this would mean substantial savings. If you are interested I will post details.

BTW: It would really be better if you would post your question using euros as a guideline, since this is how the prices are listed in Spain.

NGB100656 Mar 30th, 2011 04:27 AM

Thank you ekscrunchy...I would love to hear details about the apartment you used. Our upper limit for accommodations is 100-140 euro per room per night. And yes, the apartment would be a substantial savings and I guess we would like to keep that expenditure to 100-200 euro per night.

NeoPatrick Mar 30th, 2011 06:03 AM

Having been to Barcelona several times, but not in a few years, I was somewhat shocked by hotel prices for my upcoming trip in August. I have rented an apartment instead from friendlyrentals.com
This one is too small for your group, but I was impressed with their offerings and also their prompt service and answers to questions in my emails. I asked questions about several apts. and said what sort of thing impressed us and she steered me away from one and suggested a couple of others that I hadn't noticed.

By the way, one of the things I noticed was that most hotels charged exorbitant fees for internet usage, while it's free at most apartments. There will be two of us, one with both a business and a personal computer. For us to use three devices, one hotel would be charging us over $50 a day for wifi (15 euros per day per device)!

NGB100656 Mar 30th, 2011 06:49 AM

Thanks NeoPatrick. I found mine on friendly rentals as well and I will ask some questions of them as to their opinion of the apartment. That is a great idea. Tripadvisor reviews were good, but I have also read so many people that booked that booked a hotel based on a great review and were disappointed when they arrived. I am trying to avoid that situation :)

NeoPatrick Mar 30th, 2011 12:15 PM

One of the things I mentioned in my emails was that I am a retired interior designer and "decor" is important. That's when she mentioned that I might not like the one apartment that looked good in the pictures as she said it was really much more "cheaply" furnished that a couple of the others. I also mentioned that I don't care that much about a great view, but we don't want an apartment that is really dark or that has to be closed off so really close neighbors aren't looking right in -- and again, she mentioned that I probably wouldn't be happy with one of the ones I was asking about as it faces a close and dark "courtyard" of other apartments.

Meanwhile I was checking with another company and they never really directly responded to any of my specific questions.