Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   lodging for Cliffs of Moher and Shannon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lodging-for-cliffs-of-moher-and-shannon-595348/)

meommy Mar 1st, 2006 06:44 AM

lodging for Cliffs of Moher and Shannon

We are spending 7 nights (family of four) flying into Dublin and out of Shannon in late July. Our plans are:

Dublin 1
Killarney 2
Dingle 2
Cliffs of Moher area 2 not too far from Shannon airport (3:30pm flight out)

Any suggestions on a good location to spend those last 2 nights? I saw an interesing place in Ennis (Cregg Castle) but wondered if it was a good spot to reach both the Cliffs of Moher and the airport. Other things to see here?

I am also confused about what to expect for options on putting all four of us up - staying in one room is fine but can you often sleep the parents and two kids in one room? (one boy and one girl so cots or twins for them are great). I do have a budget to watch so looking for the nice but less expensive lodging. Thanks!

beach_dweller Mar 1st, 2006 12:23 PM

Sounds like Ennis would do pretty well as a base for County Clare. With a late afternoon flight out, you might also consider Doolin.

I have to ask the obvious: are you locked into arriving in Dublin? You're only spending the first night there and then a pretty big driving day to get to Killarney. Obviously you're not going to see much of Dublin.

If you could fly in and out of Shannon, you could drive to Killarney the first day (not a bad drive at all, perhaps 3 hours, but traffic in July will be pretty heavy). That way, you could have an extra night in either Killarney or Dingle.

Can't help you with the group accommodations question, but check out some B&B websites for Dingle Town and Killarney. I'd be surprised if rooms that can sleep 4 or more aren't available somewhere.

NEDSIRELAND Mar 2nd, 2006 02:29 AM

You probably won't find any accomodations there, but Miltown Malbay hosts the Willie Clancy Memorial summer school (step dancing) toward the end of July. I think the main venue is the Armada Hotel at Spanish Point. It's a short drive from the Cliffs of Moher. It's not just for girls!

Ennis would be good! We stayed in a family room at Rose Cottage B&B there. 1-double bed and 2-twin size beds as I recall (ensuite).

meommy Mar 2nd, 2006 05:01 AM

Yes we need to fly into Dublin - I wasn't that interested in it but my husband has a friend there he wanted to try to see. We could stay another day there I suppose. How long is the trip (hours) to Killarney? I felt I wouldn't like the city much but perhaps there is more to see than I know.

Itallian_Chauffer Mar 2nd, 2006 02:05 PM

Here's an older thread about Dublin, for ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34656627

If you go to aaroadwatch.ie and use their route planner, it will give you detailed, PRINTABLE driving directions from Dublin to Killarney. Don't believe the time estimates, though. Consensus opinion here on this board puts ACTUAL driving times at 30 - 35 miles per hour, excluding stops to tour sites along the way (Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle come to mind on your route...).
Bob

CU Mar 2nd, 2006 02:40 PM

The journey from Dublin to Killarney is 190 miles. i.e. appox 6 hours. Another means of travelling to Kerry is via aerareann. (Look at www.aerarann.com) There are five flights per day and the journey is 55 minutes. (Cost for family circa E215.00)
For Doolin have a look at www.doolin-tourism.com
For Dublin www.visitdublin.com

katya_NY Mar 2nd, 2006 03:13 PM

We drove last summer from Kilkenny to Kenmare (which is close to Killarney). We found the drive from Kilkenny to Kenmare to be PLENTY for one day in the summer, with lots of traffic and not-so-great weather.

If you are unfamiliar with driving on the opposite side of the car, it can be an added stress. My parents are currently planning their trip to Ireland for next fall, and I have recommended a night in Cobh along the way.

I would not want to drive from Dublin to Killarney in one day.

beach_dweller Mar 3rd, 2006 07:50 AM

another driving directions website is via-michelin. We used their detailed driving instructions (and the fairly good map provided by Europcar) both times we were in Ireland.

Here's the link:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

And like aaroadwatch that Bob mentioned, you need to add some time to viamichelin's estimate. For instance, they peg the time from Dublin to Killarney at about 4 hours--no way, it's closer to 6 like CU said.

d1carter Mar 3rd, 2006 12:01 PM

meommy:
Ennis is a good place to stay. My family and I stayed at the Old Ground Hotel. Call or email about accomodations for four. We stayed at Cregg Castle also, but it was north of Galway near Cong. I'm not familiar with Cregg Castle in Ennis. Have fun and enjoy. Ireland is wonderful.

Keenan Mar 7th, 2006 08:43 AM

You could take the train to Killarney and then rent a car from there. Check the fares, especially RTs as they can be cheaper. Have much fun.

juliastephanie Mar 10th, 2006 06:25 AM

Ennis is perfect for reaching the airport and cliffs. There is also a museum there, as well as a beautiful old abbey. You will also be close to the Burren. Did you ever consider hostelling? There are some beautiful hostels in old buildings in Killarney, Ennis, and in Dingle that all have private rooms. Ballintaggart Hostel in Dingle is in a 17th century farmhouse that was used as a soup kitchen during the famine. Great ocean views!

GreenDragon Mar 10th, 2006 06:37 AM

We're staying in Ennis on our trip in late June, I'll let you know how it is :)

We're staying at the Stone Haven B&B, and then on to Killarney(actually a farmhouse self-catering in Caherbarnagh), then Kilkenny and finally Dublin.

juliastephanie Mar 10th, 2006 06:43 AM

www.dingleaccommodation.com

http://www.anoige.ie/hostels/killarney-international

http://www.abbeytouristhostel.com/about_us.htm

There are many benefits to hostels in my opinion:
cheap rates
private rooms in character buildings
access to kitchen
able to meet other travellers!

Travelingstar Mar 10th, 2006 01:12 PM

We are flying into Dublin May 19 after an overnite flight. Rooms are almost impossible to find since Bon Jovi is performing that weekend. Most of what we want to see is on the western side of Ireland. I saw a suggestion about taking a train and wondered - should we take a train out of Dublin to Galway or Shannon(or wherever it goes near there)and pick up a rental car there? Then we could do Dublin on the backside of our trip instead of the first part? We have 11 "play days" to work with. Airline reservations have been made so we're stuck with Dublin as arrival and departure. Thanks for any suggestions.

TimS Mar 10th, 2006 01:40 PM

Travelingstar - Taking a train to the west and seeing Dublin on the backside is a good idea. It's certainly better than picking up a rental car and driving across the country while fighting jet lag. It's pretty much a straight shot to Galway. There is train service to Limerick and Ennis, but not Shannon. (Buses run between Shannon and either Limerick or Ennis.)

CU Mar 11th, 2006 03:33 AM

There is a direct bus service from Dublin Airport to Galway by Citylink.
Look at www.citylink.ie
There is always the train www.irishrail.ie/home

drlillyx2 Apr 27th, 2006 10:03 PM

Just to let you know Cregg Castle is closing its doors on April 30. It is also for sale, for probably more than I will make in my lifetime.

drlillyx2 Apr 27th, 2006 10:11 PM

My wife stayed at a B & B called Emoh Ruo near the Cliffs of Moher. If memory serves me right it was owned by woman name Margaret Carey. She was very pleasant and the price was very economical.

itsmlf Jun 26th, 2006 07:13 AM

I suggest Kilmoon HOuse in Ennis on Kildysart rd..weve stayed there at least 10 times...the Pynes are the greatest hosts and will make you feel like family. Tell them Marilynn sent you

GeorgeW Jun 26th, 2006 07:33 AM

Google Doolin and Bed & Breakfast and you'll get about a dozen choices for Doolin, which is a few miles from the Cliffs. Doolin is a folk music center and you can expect folk music at all the town's pubs. Most Irish B & Bs have web pages and you would probably want to peruse them on your won.

My wife and I stayed at a Doolin B & B on our honeymoon fifteen years ago and had a pleasant stay. I have since forgotten the name of the B & B.