Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lodging - Book in Advance for UK in June?

Mar 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Greetings, this is my first post here at Fodor's and I sure hope you more experienced travelers can help me out.

Me and a buddy of mine will be in the UK from June 3rd to June 22nd. We are flying into Heathrow and plan on spending about 4 - 5 days in London before using our BritRail 22 day consecutive railpass to loop up from London to Salisbury, Bristol, the Cotswalds, Warwick, Liverpool, Manchester Edinburgh, Glasgow, Isle of Sky and then back down south via Leeds, Sheffield, and York.

We plan on staying in Hostels and maybe B&B's as hotels are out of our price range.

As far as lodging goes... I intend to have a bed booked in a London Hostel for the 5 days or so that I am in the City.

However, I was hoping to just find lodging once I arrived (or possibly book by phone or internet a day or two before arriving) in the next city/town on my itinerary.

My question is, will it be possible for me to find inexpensive lodging at either a hostel or a B&B for around 40 quid a night in June without booking in advance? I mean, will it be possible for me to just arrive in Warwick, Manchester, York, etc and find lodging (safe lodging that is...) for the night for under 45 pounds.

I want to remain as flexible as possible and don't want to be stuck with a prepaid bed if I decide to leave town early and see another part of the country.
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM

I can't answer your specific question, but take a look at the YHA hostels - www.yha.org.uk - and check their cancellation policies. All the ones we stayed at last year were very nice.

Lee Ann
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM

do you mean £45 for you or for both of you? If you mean £45 each - you will have your pick of 80%-85% of the B&Bs in the country (outside of London/Edinburgh and a few other major cities. Yes, you should pre-book for London and for Edinburgh - but in most other areas you will easily be able to find places as you go.

If you mean £45 for both of you - then it is a bit harder since that is at the bottom end for nice-ish B&Bs and towards the top end of many hostels. Decent B&Bs in major tourist areas will run from about £25-£35 pp, sometimes a bit less if you are lucky.

There is a terrific chain of TICs (Tourist Information Centers) in just about every city/town/tourist village and they will find you B&Bs in their area, or for a very small fee will call ahead to book places for you farther along your route.
Apr 1st, 2008, 01:35 AM

Janis's question is crucial - £40-45 pn for 1 or 2 ?

I don't know about hostels anywhere else, but the nice newish Central YHA in Edinburgh gets booked up months in advance for some dates - http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site...rghCentral.asp.

Apr 1st, 2008, 03:15 AM

You should be OK, but try to book a little in advance whenever possible. Have contingency funds, in case you need to pay a lttle more in emergencies.

The YHA website has already been recommended, and that has some very good hostels in London and around England/Wales. For Scotland try SYHA: www.syha.org.uk

Travelodge is a budget hotel chain that does rooms bookable online from £19 a night:
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

On the following website, you can get phone numbers for local tourist information centres in England, which can help you find B&B or other accommodation:
http://www.enjoyengland.com/find-tic/index.aspx

For Scotland see: http://www.visitscotland.com/
Apr 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM

I recommend Travelodges but be aware some are grim and soulless. The Travelodge in central Bath is lovely for instance but check out each one online for details.
If you have time plan your itinerary roughly. Book some nights that you can cancel if necessary and keep a list of options for arriving without a room.
The alternative is paying more for less..... but you should find places during your stay without great difficulty as there are no major holidays. Weekends will definitely be busier so you might consider prebooking then.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM

You need to book rooms in London and Edinburgh. The rest of your schedule can be as flexible as you like.
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM

Just want to point out that the railpass won't do you any good on Skye. You can take the scenic train from Glasgow to Mallaig and ferry across to Skye. After that, on Skye you'll need to rely on buses and/or taxis.

And the train isn't much use in the Cotswolds. There one walks, takes the bus or drives.

www.smoothhound.co.uk is good for B&B's in England. I used visitscotland for Scotland.
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:37 AM

Mimar makes a good point. You can get to Moreton-in-Marsh or Evesham or Cheltenham by train, but not really around in the Cotswolds. And there is no train service on Skye at all.

So be prepared for hiking/buses/local taxis in those areas and anywhere else off the mainline rail lines.
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM

For the Cotswolds, you can get a train from Bristol to Cheltenham. From there Pulhams coaches run services to the various towns and villages. See:

www.pulhamscoaches.com

Have you thought about dropping one of the cities (Eg Leeds or Sheffield) and including the Lake District before Glasgow? It's regarded as the most beautiful place in England. The YHA hostel at Ambleside runs a shuttle bus from Windermere Railway Station, and it has a great location on the shore of Lake Windermere.

Apr 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM

The main hostel site i use is http://www.hostelworld.com, they have a pretty good cancelllation policy (cancel with 24hrs notice) and they have a huge range of hostels and some guest houses too.

You should manage to find accommodation on the fly for most places, although it is peak time so you may want to think of booking a few places in advance. If you want to book ahead for edinburgh then try http://www.roomsinedinburgh.com.

Also if you want information on train times and connections then http://www.traveline.org.uk/ has a good journey planner.
Apr 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM

With Hostelworld, don't you have to pay a 10% deposit?