Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Loch Ness - Too long a day trip from Stirling area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in the Stirling area while visiting Scotland for 5 days. We would love to take the kids up to the Loch Ness area, but I have read everything takes much longer to reach in Scotland because of lower speed limits. Our other day trips include Edinburgh, the Trossachs area, and possibly St Andrews. Would it be too much of a distance to travel up to Loch Ness in a rental car with 3 kids under 9? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM

not sure what it will be like driving on your own, but when we were in Edinburgh we did a bus trip of the highlands that was to go up to loch ness. the trip left the city at 8am and with stops (including a generous breakfast stop) we should have been to loch ness at 2pm (with sightseeing stops). Unfortunatly there was a fatal accident on the 2 lane road that lead up to Loch Ness and there were no other roads to go on according to the driver, so we had to turn around and go back.
So it would seem possible that is doable for a day trip, however with children it will probably seem like a really long time to be in the car for them.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM

It's 31/2 hours there and the same back.

I wouldn't do it, but it's your holiday
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't try it with three young children. What's Loch Ness to them? Within an hour of Stirling there are dozens of highland lochs that are just as scenic, often less crowded, and with the same chance of seeing a monster (nil - ) If you really must visit a famous loch rather than the thousands that are just as nice, the east side of Loch Lomond is more sensible for a day trip.
BTW the reason travel in Scotland takes longer is not because of lower speed limits. In most places the legal speed limit is actually higher than in the USA. The problem is that away from the very busy central belt most roads are only one lane in each direction so you can be stuck for a long time waiting to get past slow moving vehicles.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM

It's a long day, but we did it, including a long stop at Culloden. Altho it is nothing more than a big lake, I think the kids would like to say that they saw Loch Ness.